The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 3, 2018, 01:39 PM   #1
Oliver Sudden

Barrel ID ?

I’m working with a rebarreled Sharps and wondered if anyone can say anything about the rifling of differant makers to ID this one. It’s a 45 with eight lands and grooves the grooves being wider then the lands. The twist in this one is 1 in 18 and seems to be of good quality. Not an off the shelf type as it’s a 34” octagon that is 1.600 across the flats.
Old April 3, 2018, 07:09 PM   #2
JeepHammer

Not sure what you are asking... Who specifically made the barrel?

Keep in mind I'm NOT a historian, I work on these rifles, both original & reproductions, I can only tell you what I've seen.

Is this an original Sharps, one of the makers that owned Sharps name through the years, one of the military knock-offs, Shiloh Sharps or something else?

1:18" is the tightest twist I've ever seen in an original Sharps.
It's also the tightest twist I've seen in Shiloh Sharps reproductions.
Original Sharps usually had 1:20" in .45, 1:18 showed up a bunch more in .40 caliber than .45 caliber.

The 34" barrel isn't common in original rifles (Quigley Movie Reproductions are common in .45-70), combine that with 1:18" twist rate and I'd say it's a reproduction, the most common being Shiloh Sharps.
Did you find any stamps on the barrel? Caliber? Proof marks?
A makers mark is common right in front of the threads, often on the direct bottom.
Old April 3, 2018, 09:47 PM   #3
Oliver Sudden

This is a replica with a modern barrel. What I’m hoping to find out is does some barrel maker use an identifiable style of rifling. I know for example that original Sharps had six lands and the grooves were shallow. I have a Douglas barrel in forty caliber that has eight grooves but I wonder what pattern Badger and others used. There are no markings other then the case length of the chamber stamped on it.
Old April 4, 2018, 02:41 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

You cannot ID the maker by the rifling. There should be some kind of stamp on it somewhere that will. More like should though.