The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2018, 09:56 AM   #1
ConRich

How Much FFFG ?

During the storm last week I cast some .45 cal. 200gr R.E.A.L. conical bullets for my TC Hawken, but I have no load data for this type and weight of bullet.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
Rich
Old March 16, 2018, 10:27 AM   #2
Hawg

Whatever works best. Start around 50 grains and fire a few rounds and move up to 55 then 60 and keep going until you get the best groups.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:37 AM   #3
ConRich

Thanks Hawg , in my limited experience with BP I've only used a patched ball. Now if we could get some decent weather maybe I can make some smoke this weekend.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old March 19, 2018, 10:00 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have a 45 same as you. Although according to the owners manual 2FFG is preferred for 200 gr. Maxi use.
Start 80
Max 110
Recommended 90

There is a published articular some where's that states what the equivalent reduction factor is. 3 FFFg measure _vs_ a known 2FFg charge. Although without that knowledge at hand I {assume} a 10% reduction of 3 FFFg would be acceptable.
Old March 20, 2018, 12:33 PM   #5
ConRich

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I don't have the original owner's manual and the on-line version has no load data. As always I'll start low and proceed with caution.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old March 21, 2018, 09:37 PM   #6
DD4lifeusmc

rule of thumb 45 and smaller FFFg
50 and larger FFg
As above start at 40 45 grains work up till you get best groups then go 5 more grains ( stay at or below maximum.
If your 5 over load accuracy falls off then the last was your max accurate load.

also if you have a fast twist rate, you may not get an accurate load with the conicals
Old March 22, 2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Pahoo

Either or is good.

Quote:
rule of thumb 45 and smaller FFFg
50 and larger FFg
Or so it is written but not always suitable, in use. Many propellants list; FFFG up to and including .50. I use FFFG pretty in this manner and that is what you reference. .......

ConRich
I think that Sure Shot has given you some pretty good information and is basically stating that you can get equal or better performance and use less propellant, using FFFG. I don't think you want to split hairs but is by chance you have a Chrono, you will be able to make a more accurate comparison. .....

At any rate, range-time is in order ......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2018, 02:47 PM   #8
ConRich

I now have everything needed to make smoke, just waiting for the weather to break, we just got our 4th nor-easter in a month.

Thanks to all who have taken time to answer all my questions, I'll post the results of my range trip soon as the snow melts.

Rich