The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Beagle333

Cabelas sale Confederate Navy $50 off

Cabelas has em for $149.99 right now. It's a brasser, but stick with the book charges and you can shoot this baby for 10 years of Saturdays and it'll still hold up. Brassers really get a bad rap because everybody wants the boom and smoke of 28-35gr of charge, but this little fella is fun to shoot, is cheap to buy and is cheap on powder too!

Anyway.... just passing it along for what it's worth. Somebody might want a shiny new smoker.

clickey for linkey to cabelas
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 24, 2018, 02:22 AM   #2
Model12Win

These type of brass guns was made by the rebs since they had no iron to make them from what I've heard.
Old March 24, 2018, 04:26 AM   #3
Beagle333

I believe they did make a few different brass ones, but I don't think any were in .44, only .36 caliber. I would have thought a .36 in this one would have sold better, but I guess they've done all the marketing research by now.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 24, 2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Nodak1858

I've been watching the sight , they are rotating pistols for the $50 off. Once a 1851 36 cal comes up, if it does, I'm going to grab one.
Old March 24, 2018, 11:52 AM   #5
drobs

I too would like to grab a 1851 36.
Old March 24, 2018, 12:14 PM   #6
CLYA

I picked one up, the last time it was on sale, a month or so ago. I think it's a neat little gun for the price, even if it's a so called fantasy gun. I already have an 1851 in .36.
Old March 25, 2018, 04:36 PM   #7
ClemBert

I don't get why the retailer sells it as a "Navy"....would it be more honest just to list it as a ".44 caliber version" of an Colt 1851. Pretty gun though.
Old March 25, 2018, 06:29 PM   #8
AKexpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemBert View Post
I don't get why the retailer sells it as a "Navy"....would it be more honest just to list it as a ".44 caliber version" of an Colt 1851. Pretty gun though.
Cabela's used to be pretty good identifying what they sold. Since BPH has taken over, all bets are pretty much off.

I think BPS is just trying to sell off Cabela's inventory. I went to a BPS in Tacoma WA a couple of years ago and asked where their BP inventory/display was and the "clerk" behind the counter was like "What?". They had NO BP guns of any type. It was like I came from another planet.

I think the problem is that Cabela's inventory is overloaded with 1851 Navy .44 pistols, no one really wants them, and the rest of us are looking for Navy .36 pistols, even if they are brassers, and their inventory is deplete of the .36 guns.

There is little call for 1851 Navy .44 brassers because people are getting educated about historical information. Even an 1851 Navy .36 brasser octagonal barrel is a replica of a Schneider and Glassick, of which 3 originals are known and one has an iron frame.

The 1950's/1960's brasser .44 pistols were created and imported by Navy Arms and others because they were cheaper than the steel frame pistols, were .44, produced a big bang, and eventually shot loose with loads only suited to steel frame pistols.

But they sold them and made a bunch of money from them.

Jim
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old March 28, 2018, 06:30 PM   #9
gwpercle

I had a EMF 36 cal 1851 Navy in the 1960's , with the brass frame and with standard loads the spindle loosened up where it was screwed into the brass frame.
It lasted a few years but the soft brass didn't hold up that well. If the brass is of a better stronger alloy it might hold up . The old EMF from Italy wasn't that high of a quality.
I do like the looks and short barrel of that shooter, not historically correct reproduction of anything but it would be a handy and fun shooting iron . Thanks for posting,
Gary
Old March 29, 2018, 10:44 PM   #10
drobs

They are working their way through the Pietta's. 1858 is now on sale.

Come on 51 Navy Yank.
Old March 30, 2018, 01:07 AM   #11
Model12Win

They need to put the LeMat's grapeshot pistols on sale!!