The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 11, 2017, 05:04 PM   #1
kevra1983

Mounted 30mm 1-6 scope on AR-15 Help.

Hi there,

I just bought a Vortex Strike eagle and American Defense QD 30mm mount for my AR15. I’m trying to get it properly mounted. But the problem I’m having is when I have it mounted, the reticle seems to the left of the AR15 rail. As if I’m looking straight out, it seems like the reticle isn’t looking straight down the rail as I would think it should / would be. I’m a newb at this stuff. I finally bought a scope and mount for my brand new Bravo Company AR15. I’d like to post a picture of how the reticle looks through the scope. It’s a bit hard getting my smart phone to look through the scope. Hehe...

I mean I’ve leveled the scope too. I’m not using a gun vise either. I’m just using a baby level on a flat surface. I think I’ve evenly tighten the screws down. Or at least I hope so. Is it normal for the reticle to look as if it’s to the left a little of the top of the rail on ar15 when I look down the scope? I would guess not. From seeing videos and other pictures online, it doesn’t. Advise or tips would be great please.

Thank you!
Old November 11, 2017, 07:12 PM   #2
jmr40

A pic would help. But based on your description it sounds as if the entire scope may not be centered on the receiver. Or is it that the cross hairs are not straight.

If the entire scope is left of center you probably have a problem with the mounts or they are installed incorrectly. If the mounts are good and if the crosshairs are not straight it is a simple fix. And a common problem. Lots of guys often just eyeball the scope in the rings to get it straight. Because the way they mount the rifle it appears straight to them, but not to others.

Winston Churchill
Old November 11, 2017, 10:12 PM   #3
kevra1983

Great advice. I’m wondering as to how tight the clamps needs to be. I’m sure it shouldn’t have to feel like we have to wrench on it to tighten it down. I’ll try to play around with my iPhone 8 camera and try to see how I can get a picture through the scope to where you can see the reticle. If others can do it, so can I.

It doesn’t appear that the scope is left of center. But are you talking about the entire scope itself? Sorry for newb question. If so, to me it looks quite parallel to the receiver. Yeah, it seems like the crosshairs is off. Can a local gun stores fix it? If so, wondering how much they charge. I mean I bought most of my items from the local gun store I go to. I would think they would. But wasn’t sure if it was something they didn’t want to be liable for if they were installing it.

Thanks!
Old December 13, 2017, 02:03 PM   #4
PlatinumCore16

As to your first question, you should tighten the rings tight enough to keep the scope from moving, but not so tight as you are going to damage the tube. Unfortunately most scopes don't come with a in-lb spec on them, or at least the ones I've bought haven't, but I'm also getting into some higher end stuff in the relatively near future. The other problem would be that most people don't have an in-lb torque wrench. So for the layman, you should tighten them with your allen wrench so that you get even space on either side of each ring and that you aren't he-manning the screw. You also need to follow a torquing pattern, just google "scope ring torquing pattern". This should give you good results until you get to the point where you are buying precision matched rings, or you are lapping your own rings, and you have a torque wrench.

As for your second question, without pictures it's tough to understand what your problem is exactly. Your local store should also be able to help with whatever problem that is. And as long as they aren't actually modifying anything, you probably (read shouldn't) won't be paying anything. If they find that the scope is actually damaged inside or there is a defect, they'll tell you to follow your directions for warranty. Vortex has a really good warranty.
Old December 13, 2017, 05:56 PM   #5
kevra1983

Thanks for the help guys. I got a replacement brand new replacement scope from vortex. The reticle was canted. Glass was damaged. Quite weird to get a damaged scope from opticsplanet.com. But glad vortex replaced it for free.