The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 19, 2006, 08:02 PM   #1
ramrod63

help with krag carbine

I just acquired a Krag carbine (I think) The serial number is #4486. It appears to have a replacement stock in the 1899 configuration. The patine is even all over the gun and it doesn't show signs of having been cut down. On the left side of the receiver it says "Springfield Armory 1894. The rear sight has the
"C" on the base but not on the sight blade. The sight blade has a high 18 on it at the highest elevation. The rifling is shiny but somewhat rounded but it is very smooth and looks like it should shoot. The front sight matchs all the
pictures that I could find.
1. Is this a real carbine or a cut down rifle?
2. Were the front sights attached or machined on the barrel?
Old July 19, 2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I am not a Krag expert but can say the front sight bases were either integral or soldered on.
A barrel band like an '03 is a sign of a conversion, many done at Benecia Arsenal for NRA sales.
Old July 20, 2006, 01:31 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, but there were no carbines made prior to mid-1895, and none marked "1894".* The earliest carbine serial is in the 25,000 range. In other words, I believe you have a cut down rifle. Worse, it started out as a Model 1892 rifle, a highly desireable collector's item had it been left alone.

*There were two or three prototype carbines made earlier, but they differ significantly from the later production carbines, and I believe the locations of two are known.

Jim
Old July 20, 2006, 01:43 PM   #4
ramrod63

help with the Krag carbine

My thanks to Jim Watson & Jim Keenan for their replys. Not what I was hoping for but thanks anyhow. Mr. Watson mentions conversions done at Benecia Arsenal for the NRA. I am wondering if due to the fact that the Patina matches so closely all over the gun and the way front sight looks if this could be an arsenal conversion as opposed to Bubba's garage. The piece really is in very nice condition considering it's age. Any idea what something like this might be worth ? If I got hosed too badly I can get some of my money back I think. Thanks in advance.
Old July 25, 2006, 09:43 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those so-called "NRA carbines" or "DCM carbines" are characterized by having a M1903 front sight band. However, many "carbines" were made up by gunsmiths (and bubba) the same way, so any "NRA carbine" will be suspect unless it is accompanied by the DCM sales papers.

Since you say the front sight on yours looks like the Krag pictures, I assume it does not have an M1903 front sight band, and is not an "NRA carbine."

Sorry, but you basically have a good hunting rifle and, of course, an example of the Krag action.

Jim
Old July 28, 2006, 06:38 PM   #6
ramrod63

help with a Krag carbine/rifle

Jim Keenan

Thanks for your reply. I've done some more inspection on this piece. Who ever cut the barrel did a heck of a nice job. You can hardly see where the front sight is soldered on. It looks like it was done a long time ago. Under the trap door butt plate there are no rod holes. The front barrel band has no sling swivel and there is no rear swivel or any sign that there ever was. The good news is that this piece shoots very well. I tried it with low end loads in 150gr and 180 round nose as well as Winchester factory 180's (kick like the devil). What ever it is, it's fun. Thanks again for your help. Oh, one last question, is there any chance that it was rebarreled with a carbine barrel as the action,#4486 predates any carbine manufacture.

Ramrod