The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2010, 02:57 PM   #26
oneshot onekill

Accuracy International AW Series if you want a "Factory" Rifle. GA Precision if you want a "Custom" Rifle.
Old November 30, 2010, 03:10 PM   #27
woodguru

I have to agree on the A7 opinion, the better Sakos are going to cost a grand or more although the older Forrester .243's and .308's can be had for about $850 and they are tack drivers.

Mine were mostly 85's with three Varmint or Benchrest models. I am probably going to get the newer Varmint in .243 with the set trigger, they are about $1800.

Maybe that's why Sakos don't impress the Remington and Winchester guys, they are into budget rifles and they wouldn't have been so impressed with entry level Sakos.

It would be llike judging Zeiss by their entry level Conquests, you might as well buy a Leupold or Nikon Monarch, but the $2000+ is a different story entirely. There's another example of grades with Nikon, Prostaff isn't representative of Buckmasters or Monarch.
Old November 30, 2010, 03:39 PM   #28
woodguru

JerryHN

That isn't just an opinion of the kind most make who find something they like and that's their idea of best, I'm not a stick with any one thing kind of guy.

I've had four 700's in BDL heavy barrel premium versions, again I don't like entry level things, liked them just fine. None of them ever were capable of what the Sakos in the same calibers were capable of. The half incher .223 was half inch groups with carefully developed loads. My Sako Varmint did that with factory ammo and went to ragged holes with handloads. I want to be able to buy a thousand rounds of something that will hit ground squirrels consistantly at 400 yards. My ground squirrel combo Varmint Sakos in .22-250 and .243 were both good out to 500 yards with factory loads.

Accuracy aside as I am aware of lots of 700's that shoot sub MOA it's more than that.

Sakos are known for their triggers (again I'm not talking entry level here).
The bolts are fantastic, no 700 compares to that tight smooth feel.
And the accuracy standard is there for factory loads from a box stock rifle.

I would take three new premium Sakos and put them up against three new Remingtons to try each with any given 5 factory loads and see what the group aggregates for overall accuracy are any time. When buying a Remington it's a crap shoot as to whether you will get a rifle capable of sub MOA groups. Dime sized groups have always been my standard for what makes me happy and that is harder to find with Remingtons, not impossible but harder to get, they won't all do it. I've never had a Sako that wouldn't do it and that included a .270 Hunter I set up for a guy. Again that was an $1100 rifle in 1987 or so, what was a Remington BDL, $500?

If I had two .243's, one a Sako and the other a Remington and asked any array of people which one they would want if I was going to give them one or the other how many people would take the Remington? Right, I'd be out of Sako's way before I ran out of 700's.
Old November 30, 2010, 03:42 PM   #29
sc928porsche

FN Mauser. They still make a beautiful rifle that is accuarate. There just dosnt seem to be a replacement for old world craftmanship. Their M3 linup has replacable barrels and bolts so you can change cartridges.
Old November 30, 2010, 04:44 PM   #30
300grains

Sako 85 or Tikka T3, depending on how much you want to spend.

If a switchbarrel is considered I would take a look at Blaser R8. The only "problem" here is that probably the same barrel will be used almost always. Anyhow that is my experience.
Old November 30, 2010, 06:43 PM   #31
warbirdlover

Quote:
If you have $3k why not build up a custom rig?

Bell and carlson Medalist Varminter stock
Lilja Barrel
Howa 1500/Rem 700/pick your brand action with bolt (can get a barreled action to cut cost if you REALLY wanted to)
Glass bedding
To make it look nice, get a new bolt knob, maybe a bolt with milling

Could come close to $3k, probably under $2k if you cut out the fancy milling and bolt knob.

My choice would be a Howa 1500 for bone stock kit. I like the three position safety that locks the action closed, but it's a hunting rifle, not a bench gun.

WeedWacker
WeedWacker has the right idea... only built by one of the custom gun shops on a different action (Sako, Remington). There standard stuff is under that price range from the ones I've looked at. And tackhammers!!
Old November 30, 2010, 07:49 PM   #32
BODAME

Thompson Center Venture Predator
Old November 30, 2010, 08:01 PM   #33
isnipe

+ 1 for THE Remington 700
Old November 30, 2010, 08:37 PM   #34
YARDDOG(1)

"[+ 1 for THE Remington 700]"

+4 On the Remington 700
Old November 30, 2010, 08:41 PM   #35
.300 Weatherby Mag

This certainly falls out of the budget range and makes a Sako look cheap...

http://www.empirerifles.com/Standard%20Rifle.htm
Old November 30, 2010, 08:47 PM   #36
RT

Old November 30, 2010, 08:47 PM   #37
TX Hunter

I will throw a vote in there, I vote for the RugerM77MX11
I have compared it with the other rifles offered, and I think the Wood,Fit, Bluing,and action are superior also the acuracy is outstanding.
I think its actually an improved mauser variant, as It is controlled round feed, but you can single load, without wrecking your extractor.
And not to mention it has one of the strongest scope mounting arangments in the industry, and provide real steel rings with every rifle.
This is a great rifle, that will last a lifetime.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:51 PM   #38
LSnSC

For three grand you can get a custom that will shoot circles around any production rifle made.
Old November 30, 2010, 09:00 PM   #39
Baba Louie

http://gaprecision.net/

You should be able to easily spend $3000 (maybe more) and end up with a nice shooting rifle. If you can't find a 700, 70 or 85 to your liking.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 30, 2010, 11:45 PM   #40
DoctorXring

Reliability, Accuracy, Collectibility, Capabililty

You offer up an excellent question with your original post.

With the hindsight of 35 years of shooting and collecting behind
me I would say that a nice pre-64 M70 Winchester would offer
your best chance at the 4 specifications you mention in your
original post. This is if original condition rifles are what you
are talking about and if you are considering all production, not
just current.

I picked up this very fine Featherweight model on Gunbroker
recently for right at $1000 sans scope. Caliber will influence
price on classic rifles like this.

The older Sakos also are rifles that meet your specifications.

If you are asking about current production rifles, I would also
have to go with Winchester and the FN produced M70 rifles. These are very
fine rifles. As far as what is going to be collectible out of current
production is harder to pin down, but getting a high build quality
rifle is a good start. If you can find one of these with a nice piece
of walnut on it, which I have seen, you will be protected on price
if you take good care to conserve the cosmetic appeal of the rifle.

good hunting and collecting, Chris

P.S. Whenever the future and appreciation of value is in view, you
must be sure that your buy price is not inflated.

Last edited by DoctorXring; November 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old November 30, 2010, 11:56 PM   #41
Buzzcook

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=203153647

Maybe this one.
Old December 1, 2010, 12:31 AM   #42
700sage

Remington 700 hands down!
Old December 1, 2010, 12:37 AM   #43
golfballshootr

The T/C guns, are they made in long action?

As for the "budget" minded, well, there is such a broad stroke to cover with that brush. I like the Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Howa ideas. It really depends on what you, the end user, is looking for.

I don't think you'd have too much trouble selling you M70, chambered in 300WM. So that takes care of re-sale. Reliability/durability is sound. Accuracy is good with factory ammo, better of course with handloads.

The HOWA is good, accurate and durable. Just doesn't have the re-sale.

Now, if you are buying this fine piece of equipment (any good rifle).....why in the world would you want to sale it?
Old December 1, 2010, 01:22 AM   #44
ML41887

There's no right answer.

A good bet would be a Remington Sendero SFII. You could get one and a very very nice scope for less than $3k. But Weatherby, Les Baer and Thompson Center make rifes that meet your criteria as well. If there's room for splurge in your budget I'd definitely take a look at a CZ Ultimate Hunting Rifle. They are guaranteeing MOA accuracy to 600 yards for a little more than $4k ,if you get their package with their scope and rings. So a 6.283" group at 600 yards!!! I don't know about you, but that rifle shoots way better than I do.

I would save for another few months and go with the CZ. I'd bet the CZ would hold it's value better also because there's not a single one on gunbroker, and only one on gunsamerica. It's light too, which may or may not be a good thing when you pull the trigger on a 300 mag.
Old December 1, 2010, 04:22 AM   #45
duckman3279

How about a cooper or a kimber?
Old December 1, 2010, 08:01 AM   #46
mes228

Rifle

Yes, the T/C Venture is made in Long Actions. As an aside I work Trade/Gun Shows and trade my personal firearms after shooting a period of time (if they are not up to par). Many of these suggestions are valid OF OLDER RIFLES. Not so today's offerings. To be sure a lot of today's rifles are very pretty and have good wood - even free floated barrels. On the range they are dogs though.

I suspect I've fired extensively 20-30 rifles in the last year. And personally bought perhaps ten or so seeking a rifle that would shoot. For example some here suggested Remington 700's and I've had many over the years that were tack drivers. Not so today. I've had two new ones and two Mtn. Rifles and two Classics. All beautiful but sadly inaccurate. Joke rifles really.

Sakos are good and I've owned several older ones and they shoot well (but try to sell one!! They are the slowest moving rifle out there). I've shot (and owned 4) perhaps six or so Rugers of different configurations MkII's, the new model that replaced the MKII's and two Ranch Rifles. All were absolutely dogs in the accuracy department.

I could go on, and on, and on. Bottom line is all these MAY have improved if you were willing to shoot 200-300 rounds through them to lead,copper, polish,finish the bore. Which is what Gun Magazines always say "accuracy improves after 200 rds. barrel break in. Well I call BS on that one. I have no wish to spend $300 finishing a rifle for the maker. Also I don't want a rifle that will not shoot factory ammo OF ANY MAKER with "acceptable accuracy". If I've got to shoot 6 brands of ammo to shoot, to only find one that is better than 3-4 inches. Personally I don't want the rifle.

In conclusion, and your mileage may vary. The CZ and the T/C Venture were the ONLY rifles that shot OUT OF THE BOX. Giving ACCEPTABLE accuracy with anything you wanted to stuff in the magazine. Both would shoot about 1/2 inch with some Factory Ammo and about 1" with pretty much anything.All this done from a lead sled. Just my opinion, but it's based on actually firing a lot of rifles. I rate the T/C Venture very very highly.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:17 AM   #47
taylorce1

Quote:
If you have $3k why not build up a custom rig?

Bell and carlson Medalist Varminter stock
Lilja Barrel
Howa 1500/Rem 700/pick your brand action with bolt (can get a barreled action to cut cost if you REALLY wanted to)
Glass bedding
To make it look nice, get a new bolt knob, maybe a bolt with milling

Could come close to $3k, probably under $2k if you cut out the fancy milling and bolt knob.

My choice would be a Howa 1500 for bone stock kit. I like the three position safety that locks the action closed, but it's a hunting rifle, not a bench gun.

WeedWacker

WeedWacker has the right idea... only built by one of the custom gun shops on a different action (Sako, Remington). There standard stuff is under that price range from the ones I've looked at. And tackhammers!!
Here is what $2300 will get you parts and labor at most gunsmiths around here:

Zastava action with set triggers supplied by WildAlaska $350
Hight Tech Customs installed 26" SS Lilja barrel #5 contour chambered in .25-06 installed and action blue printed $700
Richards Microfit (Close out/Bargain list) exhibition grade Carlo Walnut stock Monte Carlo Rollover style stock $300
High Tech Customs finish inletting and bedding rifle to stock $300
KG Gunkote semi-gloss black finish $275
Leupold one piece base and low rings $75
Used Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X40AO scope $250

Replacement stock because original broke Free
Cost for new recoil pad plus installed $75
I bedded the second stock myself this time $30
Materials to refinish the stock $30

Value of this rifle if I were to sell it would be in the neighborhood of $600-700 without scope. Why? Because that is what people can buy a new M700 CDL for in .25-06. Unless you get a rifle built by a guild level gunsmith your custom rifle are never going to appreciate in value plus that kind of smith would have at least more than tripled my costs.

Take WW rifle for example:

Howa rifle $350-400
Lilja re barrel and blue print action $700
B&C stock $200-250
Glass bed stock $100 New bolt handle $150+

All said and done still under $2K but still resale value will be cut in half of what you invested if you try and sell it.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:33 AM   #48
Magnum Wheel Man

I think TAYLOR offers up some valad points on resale... I have a couple 98 Mauser custom rifles built in the 60's that are probably $400.00 rifles today... yet I know my father in law had much more into them when he bought them ( or had them built )

down a different vein... I bought this about a year ago... still haven't shot it yet, I may not ( I have several 30-06's already, that I do shoot )... but if something similar to this Remington, were purchased from any major quality manufacturer, & used lightly, & chosen in a caliber that is still popular down the road, when you are looking to see what it's worth, it's likely a better "investment" for the money than any full out custom rifle

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 1, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:37 AM   #49
dynamis13

I don't know much about these but I like the look of this CZ http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-750-sniper/
Old December 1, 2010, 10:19 AM   #50
mapsjanhere

Custom rifles, unless by a real famous maker, don't hold value well. People that value top quality barrels and trued actions want a new rifle that gives them 3000 rounds lifetime, not something with an unknown number of rounds through it. And the average buyer doesn't understand why your Rem 700 should be worth 2k when he can buy one new for 700. I noticed that quality rifles in the low grades seem to be doing best in regards to value. Fancy wood and engravings are nice, but much harder to sell too at a reasonable price.

Tags
300 win mag , best rifle , bolt-action