The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2000, 07:12 AM   #1
Jhp147

I think I'll put a set of Ashley Express sights, the night sight version, on my K9. They look like a great idea for close work. Anybody have any pro or con input? Also, is the "Big Dot" version TOO big for say, head shot precision on standard IDPA targets at 15 yards? Thanks.

------------------
Shamans emerge whenever certain needs remain unanswered...Mark Levy
Old November 2, 2000, 07:39 PM   #2
OIC

I put the Big Dot tritium on of all things, a Colt Pony Pocketlite that I had Scott, McDougall, and Associates perform a number of modifications on. They were pushing the miniature Novaks but still put the Ashley's on at my insistance. I personally like them, but then I don't plan (as far as I'm able) to shoot beyond 10-15 yards with this pistol anyway. I find them exceptionally fast for flash sight picture use. I also tried Novaks relatively new half ghost ring on a Kimber to see if that presented a better option for drawing visibility to the front sight. IMHO, although this setup is fast, I think it creates more vertical dispersion of shots that that afforded by the Ashleys. With that said, in my experience, though you can hit at 25 yds with the Ashleys with studied concentration, it isn't their forte at least for me. The big dot just covers too much target at those distances. I also purchased Wilson's Combat Pyramid sights to see how they fared, but I'd have to say the Ashley's win for near contact distance out to say 15 yards, the Wilson's or the half ghost rings to 25 yards or so, and plain old black sights for paper targets.
Just my experience,
BT
Old November 2, 2000, 09:04 PM   #3
CJO

jhp, I have the Big Dot tritium on my Kimber Ultra carry and am very happy with them...This is my primary carry gun and not intended for sillowet SP..? shooting...Extremely fast aquisition...Head shots easy at 15 yds...What you can't do is one ragged hole...I couldn't do that anyway even though the pistol could...Can put all 7 shots on a nine inch paper plate at 25 yds by using the top of the dot...If self defense is what you are after then these sights are great...If two inch groups are what you want then go after something else...BTW, some people swear the can get ragged holes with them at 15 YDS... whatever...
Old November 3, 2000, 12:36 AM   #4
mchgnmike

Jhp147,
I have the Big Dot Night Sights on my Glock 19 and love them. I happen to know Ashley and I think CJO has been talking to Ashley about the one ragged hole theory because he can and does make "one ragged holes".
If you don't like them right away give them a break in period. You will be surprised how effective the sights are.

Mike
[email protected]

Old November 3, 2000, 09:24 PM   #5
skdtac

Sorry, it's not a Kahr- we'll have those images shortly.

Head shots at 15 yds are not a problem. The Ashley's really shine at ranges between contact and 25 yds, and especially when things are fast and movement is involved. We move a lot of them for Kahr models- We have them in stock for $87.95, and we ship all orders by the next business day.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.
Old November 4, 2000, 08:28 PM   #6
9x45

I shot a G22 with the small dot today after a regular IDPA match, and it worked fine. Long sight pictures are tough because the dot tends to sink like the sunset....
Old November 5, 2000, 05:11 PM   #7
Jhp147

Thanks for all input. After consideration and study, a set of standard dot Pro Express (tritium front and rear) are on order.
Old November 8, 2000, 01:51 PM   #8
HarryB

JHP147
Are you doing it yourself or having a smith do it? I want a set for my MK9 but have heard a special site tool is needed in order not to damage the slide.
Old November 8, 2000, 07:03 PM   #9
Jhp147

They came today. Am having a smith do it, though no tools beyond a padded vise, hammer and drift punch, and a couple of small files are necessary. No special tool is mentioned, my set is the one with two set allen screws for the rear sight. The other type, without screws may be harder to put it, may require some sort of sight pusher like I've heard used for Sigs. Ashley ships allen wrench and Loc-Tite Red in the package.