The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: What rifle suits me better?
MARLIN 336 8 57.14%
M1A rifle 3 21.43%
Mini-14 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6, 2002, 04:23 PM   #1
NIGHTWATCH

Which rifle is best for me?

I recently posted a thread regarding the M1A rifle by Springfield Armory. My problem is that Im new to rifles. I have considered the Mini-14 as well as a MARLIN 336SS. I need some help here. Im looking for the rifle equivalent of my Remington 870. Simple, reliable and cost effective. Im kind of intimidated by the science of long range shooting. It just sounds too complicated and expensive. Will a MARLIN suit me better? Can it contend in the field with the M1A and Mini-14 as battle rifle? Or should I go with an M1A or Mini-14 and reluctantly learn the art of the rifle? Considering what I have just said, what rifle is best for me?
Old October 6, 2002, 04:36 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

I don't think any of the three listed would be "best" for you.

If i was in your situation again, I'd buy A number4 mk1 (it has good aperature sights and is relatively inexpensive) and a couple hundred rounds of PMC .303.

after you make sure it's zeroed, take it out and shoot it a whole bunch. repeat.

once you begin to learn the basics of the art of the rifle, then you can step up to a semi auto like an M-1a
Old October 6, 2002, 06:30 PM   #3
yankytrash

Introduction to riflin? Marlin, hands-down. The lever actions cry out to the little cowboy-kid inside of us, with every drop of the lever. It'd be a fun way to get into rifle shootin, and it'll certainly help the most, out of your choices, to sway your mind into thinkin that maybe long range ain't too bad after all.

M1A would be an expensive experiment, comparably, especially considering the cost of the mags.

Mini-14 would be especially expensive for mags.

Although both are accurate and pretty fun, I think the latter two would only turn you off, once you get to accesorizing. Them's for the hard-core rifleguys/gals.
Old October 6, 2002, 10:35 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hook up with some shooters at the range and test fire theirs. By doing so, you find out what you like, dislike, what is comfortable and uncomfortable for you. As for me, I like and want everything.
Old October 7, 2002, 12:09 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, I'd suggest you at least give consideration to a "clip"-fed, bolt-action .22 rimfire for starters. It's the least expensive way I know to learn about the coordination of sight picture and brain/trigger-finger.

And while you're doing that, you can browse around here and "glean the drippings of great minds". Well, there are a few good ideas that crop up, occasionally...

Anyhow, joking aside, it never hurts to do a bit of thinking about just what use you intend for any new gun. Talk to folks at whatever range you go to, and feel free to ask questions here.

Art