The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2017, 11:29 PM   #51
shortwave

Quote:
My state has done away with "muzzle loader" season. Now called alternative methods. Which includes center fire handguns. I use either my TC Contender in 35 Remington or 7-30 Waters. If I am on a more thickly wooded stand I might use my 10MM Glock G20.
Gotta love it, big middle finger up to all those who ruined muzzle loader season with bolt action, pellet loaded jacketed bullet firing scope mounted 200+ yard synthetic and stainless wonder guns.
Now, let's get back to a loose powder solid lead projectile, exposed ignition rifle with no optics for a "muzzle loader" season.
If they didn't outlaw your choice of M/L firearm so you could not use it, how did anybody ruin your hunt? Can you legally still use loose powder(and I'm sure you meant real black powder), solid lead projectiles(most likely rd.balls) and exposed ignition(surely you meant a flintlock and not those new fangled cap locks)?

Just because we can use inlines in this state during muzzle loader season, doesn't mean I have to. And depending on my mood, very often I don't.
Just because we can use a shotgun or certain center fire rifles here during our gun season, doesn't mean I have to use either. Most likely I'll be using a M/L...or a handgun(revolver). Which are legal during our gun season as well. Heck, one buddy of mine uses a bow to hunt all our different deer seasons(which is legal her) cause that's what he likes to hunt with.

If you are still legal to use your choice of M/L but choose not to cause others are not using what you want them to use then the only one ruining your M/L season is you.
Old November 1, 2017, 10:22 AM   #52
Hawg

Shortwave, if it has to be explained to you you wouldn't understand.
Old November 1, 2017, 12:11 PM   #53
shortwave

Hawg,
I understand completely! Been shooting B/P and deer hunting better than 50yrs. Long enough to remember when the same rocks that are being thrown at the inline shooters today were being thrown at the cap lock shooters by the diehard flinters. Long enough to remember when the b/p users threw rocks at those using sub. powders when they started coming out. Long enough to remember when the diehard recurve bow hunters threw rocks at the new fangled compound bow guys...and then came the crossbows and the rock throwing started all over.
And you know something...when you and I are long gone, this same kind of rock throwing will continue.

My point is that someone else can't ruin my shooting or hunt traditions. Nor can they ruin the meaning I have of something by (in this case) using a different weapon then I do. Only I can do that.
If I'm a diehard flinter or cap lock guy and truly believe that that is what should be used during M/l season, but the law changes allowing others to use inlines, pistols or whatever, I'm surely not gonna be using anything but my flinter or cap lock cause that's what I truly enjoy hunting with. Don't care if the next guy uses an AR if it's legal. I don't let others dictate what I use in the woods or dictate what a certain hunting season means to me.

Again, I understand completely the history and tradition of the fine art of true M/L'ing...and as the laws continue to change(which they will), as long as my flinters and cap lock stay legal to hunt with, you will never hear me say that someone else has ruined my hunt for me by them being able to use a different weapon. What they use has absolutely no bearing or meaning to me as far as my personal traditions go and will surely not dictate me changing what I use to hunt with. I will still get my traditionalist 'fix' regardless.

Last edited by shortwave; November 1, 2017 at 01:20 PM.