The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 30, 2004, 12:59 AM   #1
prowler

What is the reasons to own FA?

I got a transfer form F 4 today and look at one question is asking me to give the reason why I want to own a machinegun, I did know what the best answer ar so I wrote it done as "personal collection". Is it good enougt? Any one done this before, please give me some sugestions I will be apprechiate very much.
Old September 30, 2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Jake 98c/11b

All lawful purposes.
Old September 30, 2004, 05:59 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

You did fine - -

"Personal collection" is as good an answer as any, and better than some.

"Recreational shooting" is another good one.

I've seen a number of Forms 4 filled out with the "All lawful purposes," and they went through just fine. I worry a little that one of these might be reviewed by some antagonistic clerk, who might ask, "Oh? And why would you feel compelled to mention THAT? Do you sometimes use other guns for ILLEGAL purposes?"

Honestly, though, in a fair amount of dealing with BATFE functionaries over the years, they've all been pretty helpful and courteous.

FWIW: Years back, my very pro-gun sheriff designated me to review and sign off the various ATF forms. I've handled several dozen. Some have gone through slowly, but I don't know of one that I've vetted ever being denied. Oh, and, I've never refused to sign one presented to my agency . . . .

Johnny
Old September 30, 2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Arizona Fusilier

A quick perusal of mine reveals "As an investment and to enhance my firearms collection".
Old October 1, 2004, 08:55 AM   #5
prowler

Thank you every one for the help. I did mail out my aplication forms F 4 yesterday.

Other form required on this transfer is "CERTIFICATION OF COMPLIANCE WITH 18 U.S.C. 922 (G) (5) (G).

I found out from the web site call "TITLEII.COM" you can print most of the form out from this site. It is very nice site if any one need the forms. You do not have to wait for ATF to sent you one.