The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1
bclark215

What is the best .44 mag hunting bullet?

I've been shooting my ruler bisley Blackhawk hunter with 7.5 in barrel quite a bit and now I want to go hunt with it. I've been looking for some good bullets to load. I can find hornady 240 grn XTP bullets almost everywhere I go and have been considering these. I will be hunting hogs and deer mostly. I want a good load that will kill a deer to around 75 yards but don't need anything too powerfull. As for the pigs I hate tracking them and want something that I can shoot a pig in the head and the only thing that I'll will be leaving the area I shot him in is the pieces of his head flying off. Thanks for any help that you can give.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
JawjaBoy

The XTP's are excellent bullets. Extremely good terminal performance and very accurate in most guns. I have taken several deer with them and would recommend them highly. For hogs they need to be placed appropriately as they may not always penetrate the shoulders due to expansion.

Personally, I prefer Keith style cast bullets. They have accounted for many deer for me over the years. When a bullet starts out at .44 caliber, it doesn't have to expand to do the job. They will also make short work of a hog, even when you shoot them in the shoulders as they don't expand and just drive straight on through.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:29 PM   #3
GeauxTide

I've been using 240-250gr hard cast bullets for years. $45 a hundred, too. I've used Missouri Bullets in 41, 44, and 45. Love them. With cast bullets, you can shoot deer in the point of the shoulder and usually break both.
Old February 1, 2014, 09:36 PM   #4
LAH

Different people use different things. I use this:

Old February 1, 2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Snyper

XTP's in either 240 or 300 gr work well, but head shots are a poor choice
Old February 2, 2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
I've been using 240-250gr hard cast bullets for years. $45 a hundred, too.
Egads, man!

Unless this was a bit of a typo.
Old February 2, 2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

By the time you added shipping to the cost of the Cast Performance I started out with, that is about what they were when I decided to pour my own for my 454. I was doing good too until I started thinking about other molds and other revolvers.....

Good thing no is I don't have to "look" for bullets.

The XTP in the 240gr or the 300gr versions are both good bullets for deer or hogs. On the hogs aim straight up the front leg, about 3" on their sides and you will hit vitals every time.

Aim behind the shoulder and your in for a tracking job. All of their vitals are up front and in behind that shoulder. Everything behind it is stuff you don't want to shoot into.

Go here and have a look around, Texas Boars
Old February 2, 2014, 06:57 AM   #8
mxsailor803

Anything in the 240ish range will do the job just fine. Find one that you and the gun likes and get to hunting.
Old February 3, 2014, 03:00 AM   #9
LarryFlew

Plus another for XTP. Very accurate and pack a good wallop
Old February 3, 2014, 12:10 PM   #10
buck460XVR

IMHO, any good 240gr bullet works about as well as any other in .44 mag on deer and hogs. Exceptions would be JHPs on hogs and when used in Carbines at higher velocities. Then I would stick with JSPs or hardcast. While I have had good terminal performance from the XTP-HPs in my 629s, they tend to over-expand and fragment sometimes when used at carbine velocities. In the carbines, I prefer either Nosler JSPs or the old reliable Remington JSPs in 240.
Old February 3, 2014, 01:50 PM   #11
markr

Don't you want XTP "Mag" for hotter loads?

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 3, 2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Sevens

Does Hornady make the "Mag" bullet in .429"/.430" size?

My experience with the Hornady Mag bullets are the .452" slugs for use in chamberings like .454 Casull and .460 S&W Magnum.

Any jacketed bullet spec'd for use in a .44 Magnum should be just fine for any load you can come up with that stays within the normal parameters of .44 Magnum.
Old February 3, 2014, 03:20 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

Best = Swift A-Frame

Good enough = certain specific lead bullets from: Beartooth
Cast Performance
Penn Bullets

Cheap = Remington / Sierra / Winchester / Hornady HPs.

For deer and piggies most all work; avoid 'target'-type JHPs.

If I don't load an A-Frame I reach for an XTP-HP........
Old February 3, 2014, 03:47 PM   #14
GeauxTide

Thanks, Seven

That was a typo. 45-50 per 500
Old February 3, 2014, 05:02 PM   #15
NoSecondBest

The most accurate bullet in your gun is the best. I'd suggest weights of 220 grains and up. Hitting what you're aiming at is the most important thing with any handgun caliber. You'd be hard pressed to find a "bad" bullet in 44mag that weighed 220 grains or more. I've shot several deer with the 180 grain and they worked very well also. The 180s were Hornady XTPs but I've shot deer with hard cast and they ended up just as dead. It's a big hole and it's going to do a lot of damage as long as it's in the vitals.
Old February 3, 2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Prof Young

XTP for me

I'd second the vote for XTP. I've knocked down two whitetail with XTP 200gr. Both shots were less than fifty yards.

Live well, be safe.
Prof Young
Old February 4, 2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Axelwik

For hogs or deer a 240ish grain bullet with a large metplat should do fine. Find one that shoots well in your gun.

I cast them at home for a couple bucks per 100 (plus electricity and my time). A little more for gas checked (checks cost about as much as primers).
Old February 4, 2014, 12:08 PM   #18
Real Gun

Not sure it matters much which bullet style or weight is used if not loading to full performance. I don't think you want to hunt with range ammo.
Old February 5, 2014, 05:01 AM   #19
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Not sure it matters much which bullet style or weight is used if not loading to full performance. I don't think you want to hunt with range ammo.
I had that train of thought for a LONG time until I really started shooting a lot of cast loads. I was amazed at how deeply even mild loaded cast solid bullets penetrated. At 50yds a 250gr flat nosed bullet loaded to only 950fps was shooting almost the full length of my 5 gallon bucket bullet trap. Bump that up to 1000 - 1150 and they punch holes right on through the bottom.

Once you get them going they just don't want to stop real quick. Since casting my own I have had to rethink some of my hunting loads. This isn't a bad thing as with the cast loads the recoil is usually less and I am using less powder to boot.
Old February 5, 2014, 06:30 AM   #20
Salmoneye

As in everything else, it makes a difference what you are hunting, and what you want the bullet to do...

If you are looking at <50yards on a broadside Texas Deer, then any 240gr+ bullet will rip through both sides of the chest...

If you are looking at anchoring a black bear by breaking the front shoulder, then you need a tough bullet with bone smashing hold-together weight and construction...

For Hogs, I would go hard cast greater than 250gr, or a Hornady 265gr flat point designed for the .444 Marlin...