The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2014, 02:52 PM   #26
ColColt

From what I understand about these dies you need the expander/decapping rod to position the bushing. It does come with an expander.
Old January 27, 2014, 12:20 AM   #27
F. Guffey

Quote:
I think I was misreading your original post. I thought you were just referring to being unable to push a bullet into the neck with finger pressure after firing. If you are unable to seat at all, that's a different matter than simple mouth curl.
I had to go dig, something in a mid 70s magazine, a waste of time, nothing in the article about neck tension. Hold, grip, etc., and then bench rester method and techniques.

I have run across chambers with dirty necks, cases that could use a little trim and then there is the gas that gets shoved back around the neck and or chamber body, the pressure escaping from between the case and chamber after the pressure drops in the chamber could have an effect on the neck.

Mid 70s? Before Al Gore didn't invent the Internet.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; January 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: change d to p
Old January 30, 2014, 08:55 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

ColtColt,

The expander screws onto the end of the rod both to expand and to act as a chuck to hold the decapping pin, which is a separate and replaceable piece. You can unscrew that expander from the end of the rod altogether if you don't want to decap, or you may exchange it for a smaller caliber expander to hold the decapping pin in place if you want to decap but still avoid expander contact with the case. The threads on the end of the rod for different calibers are the same.

You can see what I'm talking about in the photo here. Just click to enlarge it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 30, 2014, 11:39 AM   #29
ColColt

I suppose you could use the die as designed and do all operations at the same time or just use the body die to size without touching the neck if desired.I don't know why you'd want to do that as that's the reason for the bushing-to properly size the neck. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old January 30, 2014, 06:15 PM   #30
ColColt

I just received the Redding Type S FL die and two bushings today. I'm quite impressed with the quality and ease of sizing compared to the RCBS dies. It was all but effortless and set up was easy. The bushing I chose bumps the shoulder back about .0015" and I'm happy with that. I dunked the neck, inside and out, in Imperial Application Media and it made passing over the expander smooth as silk. The expander ball mikes at .223"...perfect.
Old January 31, 2014, 10:09 AM   #31
243winxb

Redding Type S FL die

Bushing Adjustment. The Redding Type S FL die allows you to size only part of the neck if you wish. The unsides area will expand to the chamber, centering the neck in the chamber. Best when outside neck turning. You do not have to use an expander if the neck case wall thickness is close to being all the same. My die set came with an extra attachment for the end of the decapping rod that only holds the pin.
Quote:
The bushing I chose bumps the shoulder back about .0015"
The bushing does not control shoulder set back. I am quessing you mean sizing the neck?.
Old January 31, 2014, 11:37 AM   #32
ColColt

Quote:
I am quessing you mean sizing the neck?.
Yes, sometimes your fingers/mind just don't want to co-operate together. I have the same extra attachment looking much like an expander without the ball. It seems rather ludicrous to me to choose a bushing properly for neck sizing and then run it through an expander ball. I miked the expander in this set of dies and it miked at .223"-.001" under bullet size. The bushing is neck sizing to .0015-.002" under what the loaded round measurement was.

I adjusted the die itself per their instructions,"...firm contact with the shell holder when the ram is in it's uppermost position." Per the Hornady Head Space gauge that gives a bump back of approx. .0015". That measurement was taken after I determined what the case was prior to sizing.
Old January 31, 2014, 06:28 PM   #33
Bart B.

243winxb, do you imply that unsized part of a case neck will expand to the chamber neck but the sized down part of the neck will not when the bullet leaves the case?
Old February 3, 2014, 02:22 PM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

My dies don't have the extra chuck. Too old, I suppose. There are sometimes penalties for being an early adopter. That's why I suggested the undersized expander, though it will, in fact, help take slight dents out of case mouths to have one.

ColColt,

Not using the expander at all is a goal for using those dies, and unless you have bad mouth dents, that works fine. This video shows the reason for avoiding an expander if you can.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 3, 2014, 02:29 PM   #35
ColColt

Yep, I've seen that video this past week. Big difference in run out for sure. The Hornady cases appeared to be about .008" whereas those sized with the Lee about .002-.003" at best...no comparison.