The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 19, 2012, 06:50 PM   #1
TennJed

7.62x39 ammo if AWB passes

The only rifle I own that would be considered "military" is an SKS with detachable mags do I am not an expert on assualt weapons. Illness I am missing something wouldn't all rifles chambered in 7.63x39 be effected by the proposed AWB? If so and it does pass what would happen to the ammo (assuming no more guns made here for that chambering)? I am scared I own a future paperweight

Last edited by TennJed; December 19, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Right now there are so many ideas/proposals floating around that I hate to comment. But none I know of affect the type of ammo, though there are proposals to restrict the amount of ammo any one person can buy (how this would be done, I don't know).

The original AWB did not "ban" SKS rifles or even AK-47's. It banned certain features, like pistol grip stocks and bayonet lugs, but the actions of rifles like the AK-47 were not really banned, and rifles continued to be produced with modifications to comply with the law. That is why the law was considered by everyone on both sides to be more whitewash and bulls**t than any really effective ban. The real ban was on the manufacture and sale of magazines over 10 rounds made after the ban except to LE and the military. Pre-ban magazines continued to circulate and were legal to own, buy and sell.

This time, if I understand correctly, they will try to ban the sale of those magazines and "assault weapons", requiring that the guns/magazines be turned in for destruction when the current owner dies. Whether that will be in the final bill is anyone's guess.

Jim
Old December 19, 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
TennJed

Yeah I guess it is too early to tell I just wonder if the ammo will still be produced in the long run if no new guns in that offering are produced
Old December 19, 2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Pahoo

One size does not fit all !!!

Quote:
Illness I am missing something wouldn't all rifles chambered in 7.63x39 be effected by the proposed AWB?
No, as this time, they will not go after any ammo. Rather, what they lable as assault rifles which they have never been able to do, consitantly or accurately.

Bushmaster .... For sure
SKS ..... Maybe
Ruger Mini-30, probably not
Reminton 7400. ... No

Be Safe !!!
Old December 19, 2012, 07:26 PM   #5
tahunua001

there are bolt actions chambered in both 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 such as the savage model 10 and CZ model 527 that would not be affected and there were numerous SKS' that were modified during the previous weapons ban to be compliant. as for ammo they will not stop making ammo for it as it is one of the most prolifically used rounds around the world. there will still be AK47s made and sold, they will just have to be neutered in a sense as will the AR15s but they will still have to grandfather in all non compliant rifles currently in circulation, you will still be allowed to keep your SKS as is, you will just not be able to buy any more magazines for them and you will have to make it AWB compliant if you ever want to sell it again.

trust me, 7.62x39 ammo is not going anywhere. think of all the guns chambered in 8mm mauser, 303 brit, and other obselete military cartridges that are no longer used and yet ammo is still easily available. it will be no different with 7.62x39.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:11 PM   #6
chewie146

I would think this ban would mirror the last, possibly with less content. There's even a school of thought out there that would just focus on magazines.
Old December 19, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Willie D

I could see a ban on Russian ammo happening by executive order so the idea might not be far fetched, but here's a scenario I see happening:

They ban high capacity mags, pistol grips, etc. - then surprise, there is another mass-shooting.

So then they ban detachable mags.

Then something else bad happens -they ban semi-autos.

Then another tragedy - they ban calibers that cause 'devastating' wounds.

Another shooting - "whoops, we need to ban shotguns!"

That's why I think it's dangerous to head down that road when dealing with people who think the 2nd amendment is an unpleasant anachronism.

I actually don't mind the thought of closing off FTF sales (as much as I've enjoyed the convience of such sales) because I do think there should be some roadblock for people who shouldn't legally own firearms (and a high-profile shooting or terrorist act after a FTF transfer could possibly be preventable and would be insurmountably bad PR if it happened.
Old December 19, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8
swansonk

You got it, Willie D. That incremental scenario is spot on, if we let them get away with it.

I also agree that, given the pro-gun defense "guns don't kill-people kill," continuation of the private, undocumented, transaction is probably not defensible and is almost certain to be closed out. Of course, illegal transactions will continue (if ya carry a lotta drug cash, ya gotta be carry a gun) and that will lead to a cry for universal registration of all firearms. We can't allow any private "Fast and Furious" operations, can we?
Old December 19, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
SVO

There has been some previous discussion about internet sales of ammo, I would not be surprised to see an attempt to add restrictions on ammo sales and the amount that one may purchase at a time.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:03 PM   #10
Dr Big Bird PhD

Who ever said that the "slippery-slope" was a fallacy, was quite wrong.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 20, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11
tahunua001

and this thread is swiftly running towards a political discussion and will be closed by the admins soon enough, just as all the others have that revolve around this latest debacle. please try to keep on topic with the OP, I would rather not have all of the interesting threads closed, just yet.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:15 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Nobody knows what will be proposed yet, but in my opinion, it's a mistake to assume we'll get a simple repeat of the last AWB.

The last one had very little practical effect, and I think that too many people know that. That would make it hard to "sell" the same restrictions all over again.

The last one had no effect on ammunition sales.
Quote:
Who ever said that the "slippery-slope" was a fallacy, was quite wrong.
Slippery-slope is a fallacy only when there is no evidence/logic to support a slippery-slope argument.

If there is evidence/logic to support the idea of a slippery-slope (as it applies to the premise at hand) then it is not a fallacy.
Old December 20, 2012, 02:24 AM   #13
chris in va

I sold my AK for two reasons: ban of foreign ammo and inability to reload it. Picked up an AR with the proceeds.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:04 AM   #14
RUT

>>I would think this ban would mirror the last, possibly with less content.<<

Less content? Somehow I doubt that!
Old December 20, 2012, 08:11 AM   #15
spacecoast

Quote:
I sold my AK for two reasons: ban of foreign ammo and inability to reload it
Chris -

I think it's more likely that online ammunition sales will be banned or restricted, which would drive cost up but not make the ammo unavailable. Wal-Mart carries 7.62x39, so I'm not that concerned about being able get more. What makes you think foreign ammo might be banned altogether?

7.62x39 can be reloaded, it's just hard to find the brass for anything like a reasonable price to compete with steel. If we were forced to abandon the cheap steel-cased stuff, undoubtedly the brass manufacturers would make more of it and the price would come down.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Willie D

Quote:
What makes you think foreign ammo might be banned altogether?

Because theoretically this could be done with a signing statement. By fiat the president could decree steel jacketed ammo doesn't meet the "sporting requirement." Bingo, it's gone.

I doubt that would cause the price of domestic brass stuff to go down. If anything it would likely go up because the commie stuff lessens the overall demand on domestic ammo. Demand goes up, so does price.
Old December 20, 2012, 11:04 PM   #17
stu925

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennJed
Yeah I guess it is too early to tell I just wonder if the ammo will still be produced in the long run if no new guns in that offering are produced
I doubt there will be much of an issue, there's enough 7.62x39 guns in this country to keep Wolf ammo in business for a long time. I think most places are out of stock due to the panic buying around the elections, recent events are not helping matters. You may not find ammo readily available in any quantity for some time but it will eventually get back on the shelves. You may also want to consider reloading for that SKS, if the cheap steel stuff goes away that's what I'll be doing. For now it's not cost effective for me to reload it.

Stu
Old December 21, 2012, 06:00 AM   #18
spacecoast

Quote:
Demand goes up, so does price
Temporarily, yes. But then someone is making outlandish profit and that attracts other suppliers who step in to get their share. Competition brings prices down.

There's no reason that 7.62x39 brass cased ammo should cost much if any more than 5.56x45, other than a bit more for a heavier bullet.

Quote:
By fiat the president could decree steel jacketed ammo doesn't meet the "sporting requirement." Bingo, it's gone.
The president could do a lot of things by fiat. Banning steel jacketed ammo would also hurt the .223 shooters.

Last edited by spacecoast; December 21, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:00 PM   #19
Chainsawjames

Once this initial pandemonium calms down, we will be able to better judge what might happen. I can remember the AWB in 1994. I dont think it changed much in the industry. It mainly drove up prices for certain firearms. I dont think we should panic just yet. I can't see the Government putting all of these ammo/firearms company's out of business in this economic climate. Everything will settle down in a few months. Besides that, everyone, including gun violence groups greatly downplay the effectiveness off such bans.
Old December 21, 2012, 06:13 PM   #20
philobeddoe

Imported ammo can be banned and likely surplus sales stopped as well.

I don't want to be a spreader of FUD but I was under the impression that you may not have a detachable magazine in an SKS here in CA.

No I cannot site the statute. Maybe another more enlightened member can clarify or identify the regulation/language.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:17 PM   #21
Chainsawjames

From what I understand, the SKS is considered as having a fixed magazine.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:15 PM   #22
Ac1d0v3r1d3

There are millions of rifles that shoot the 7.62x39 round, so there will probably always be a demand for the round, I have an SKS and I don't worry about being able to buy ammo for it.
Yes the SKS is California legal, as long as it doesn't have a grenade launcher. I bought mine in California about 10 years ago when I was a teenager. The typical standard SKS has a fixed box magazine.

I do worry that to make ammo more difficult to obtain, the anti-gun folks may try to ban the SHIPPING of ammunition. I believe that it would be a smiple thing to do, and it would really mess things up for us folks who don't live near gun shops. In my town you literally cannot buy ammunition, no one sells it.

Last edited by Ac1d0v3r1d3; December 21, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #23
bustersmaster

Philobeddoe, the sks detachable mag thing applies U.S. wide. It has to do with rule 922r which says the sks is ok to import the way they are, but any mods done to it after the fact creates an issue with this BATFE rule that says it then needs a certain amount of specific U.S. made parts to replace the commie parts it was imported with. This essentially makes it a U.S. made gun and makes everyone happy. To do the detachable mag thing legally, you need to swap out the stock with a U.S. made, like tapco and then the detachable mags and their baseplates (U.S. made) gives it the nec. U.S. parts to get it out of the dreaded 922r.
I suppose the BATFE could impose certain new restrictions in the wake of all this conundrum. I don't think they consulted congress when they made the rule about detachable mags and the sks.
Old December 22, 2012, 02:57 AM   #24
TennJed

bushmaster, I have a SKS with a tapco stock, handrail, and mags and when I bought it was told that it was 922r compliant, and it looks like that is confirmed by your post.

i just ordered another SKS and was considering keeping this one with its wood stock. It looks like though if I do that I would need to keep the fixed mag. Do you know if that is correct? I was thinking of keeping the wood but popping out the fixed mag, but I sure do not want to break any laws.

If you can advise, what other parts can I change out instead of the wood stock. Is the mag release considered a proper part? I thought about adding a tampco mag to the one I have now and I guess I could to the wood one also.
Old December 22, 2012, 03:01 AM   #25
TennJed

Oh and BTW thanks for all the responses. Thanks to the info here I decided to go buy another SKS. I went from worring about haveing a paperwieght to buying another one. I decieded I needed one at home and one of the farm