The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 9, 2012, 12:34 PM   #1
SlayerStaggs

Slide Fire stock on a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

I've had my M&P 15-22 for a few months now and I saw all the videos on the Slide Fire stock and decided to order one. I saw people using them on their M&P 15-22s and it worked fine. I installed mine and went to try it out and the stock didn't move much at all when I fired it. It slides back and forth fine just not when shooting. I still have the 7 lb stock trigger and I could only fire one shot at a time. I thought about getting a lighter trigger, but I don't want to spend the money if it won't fix the problem. I thought about a Rock River Arms Match Trigger, but other people have said that other triggers like the one from Giselle (I think that's how it's spelled) are better. I've seen it work on a .22 but it just isn't working on mine. I tried several different ways and I couldn't get more than one shot. Any help you could give me would be appreciated.
Old June 9, 2012, 05:22 PM   #2
darkroommike

Slide fire is a form of bump fire, the .22LR barely has enough recoil to make the stock "bump". Check with the maker, on their FAQ page are some hints on how to make it work. http://www.slidefire.com/faqs
Old June 9, 2012, 07:09 PM   #3
SlayerStaggs

Thanks for the help. I'll try their suggestions and try to get used to it. I only used 100 rounds the first time. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Old June 12, 2012, 01:09 AM   #4
MagnumWill

Bump firing is much easier than people make it out to be. Just don't pull as hard with the .22. I've learned that after much practice with the rubber band, I can bump fire unassisted now, in an actual firing position- not the stupid belt loop thing.
Old June 12, 2012, 04:14 AM   #5
Justice06RR

^ Care to share how you do it?
Old August 28, 2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Kframe

I've just bought both the M&P 15-22 and a Slide Fire.
First day out, got it to work very well, was able to do bursts and entire 25-rd mag dumps.

A couple tips: Aguila SSS 60gr. ammo worked the absolute best, and I also had good results with an old box of CCI Mini-Mag+V (I think they now call it the Velocitor, but I may be wrong). Keep the trigger finger as rigid as possible, and I also rotated my finger slightly so that the trigger contacted the lower edge a bit more than the fleshy pad, if that makes sense.
Believe it or not, I was using the stock trigger!

Last night I pulled the 3.5# JP trigger out of my M4 and swapped it into the M&P, I expect that will make functioning even easier.

Others have reported success by lightly sanding the 'buffer tube' with 1000-1500 grit paper, and some also have added some dry graphite lube to the tube/stock interface. But, really, I think that's probably unnecessary if you get your left-hand technique down.

With the stock trigger, I had no luck with Rem Thunderbolts, Golden Bullets nor CCI Stingers, but I have a hunch that with the JP trigger I may have better results.

I had originally planned on putting the SF on the M4, but man, I don't have a thick enough wallet for that kind of fun! Plus, the .22 is much quieter and less likely to irritate the muggles.

Good luck!
Old August 28, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
Logs

Thanks for the write up. I am going to try my set up this weekend. Shooting 5.56 is getting expensive.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8
MagnumWill

I would love to show everyone, but my RPK is back in Colorado. Took a job in the DPRK (Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia) and I didn't want to butcher it

However, I taught myself to do it with the rubber band trick. Super easy, wrap it around the trigger and the magazine, and apply forward pressure. I went up with my friends before I came out and thought, "hmmm... No rubber band this time... Let's try without it." and sure enough, there it went like the band was there. I'll get a video uploaded soon of me doing the rubber band trick soon...
Old August 30, 2012, 12:14 AM   #9
rimshooter

Are the "rubber band" people using that technique with a slide fire stock or with the normal stock?