The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 13, 2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Andy Griffith

Rifle Clint used in "A Few Dollars More?"

I got to thinking, and I'm certain it's been asked before, but after searching I can't find it...

What was the rifle that Clint used in that movie that looked like a Henry with a short, small brass receiver? (more like a Volcanic) Did the Italians make a Volcanic styled rifle, or was it simply a cobbled up prop gun?

All I can say is...if I could find one, I'd buy it if it worked... certainly looks good. One in say, .38 Short Colt would be ideal.

Last edited by Andy Griffith; April 13, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old April 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #2
TomADC

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/For_a_Few_...Repeater_Rifle

I'd guess if anybody makes one it would be Uberti.
Old April 13, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
capper

For a few dollars more...repeater

Thanks TomADC. The link to the guns used in "for a few dollars more",was veryinteresting. I've always liked the Clint Eastwood 'Spaghetti westerns".
Old April 14, 2012, 09:09 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've been watching some Spaghetti war movies (WW II) and noticed they used the same sound effect for modern guns as they did for those Westerns.

I wish the Italians would make more Westerns.
Old April 14, 2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Hawg

Quote:
I wish the Italians would make more Westerns.
I just wish they made more Westerns. With today's technology they could make some doozies.
Old April 14, 2012, 11:30 AM   #6
indy1919

Many thanks for he post, I have watched "The good the bad & The ugly" so much I forgot the different weapons in FFDM.. Thanks..

I love IMFDB.. That use to me my job at home watching the moves.. But the darn computers are replacing everyone...

Loved the one caption

" The old man rants on with his Lefaucheux in hand."

Any time someone has a Lefaucheux in their hands they rant.. Its the nature of the beast
Old April 14, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
egor20

Years ago (early 80s) my ship pulled into Almeria, Spain. Just north of Almeria in the Tabernas Desert is where they filmed A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

They had a really great American style C&W bar also.

http://www.unique-almeria.com/mini-h...l#.T4n39NnSakc

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 16, 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
sebou

unfiring gun ?

Hi
I always through guns used in movies are unfiring guns.
If a replicas are using, i guess some modif are made to secure everybody during the movie. The blank cartidge are used, and the special effects are created.
But, it's possible to shown a real gun (or replica) and "firing" with an other gun didn't work to the real condition to fire, isn't it ?

Seb
Old April 16, 2012, 08:56 AM   #9
indy1919

Hey Sebou..

Well that is a really complex question and answer because there are so many Movie companies and government laws that what is true in Say Italy may not be true in Canada..

But in Short Many of the movie guns are real firearms that could fire a real bullet if allowed..

Many movies assign a gun master to take command of each firearm they inspect each fire arm and make sure they are ready right before the director says action, Then they take control of them right after the director says cut.. This way no one can fiddle with them and place the wrong shells into the gun..

Of course experts are only human.. the accidental shooting of Brandon Lee
speaks to that. It was clear that no one inspected that firearm and there would have been at least 3 times someone should have seen a problem...

You have some guns modified to shoot blanks, This is because they use 1/4 power blanks will not work the gun actions of most semi auto rifles. So they modify the barrel of gun so that less gas escapes out the barrel and there is more to work the action..

For fun watch how many times Steve Mcqueens Grease gun jams and must be cleared in the battle shots in "Hell is for Heros" or The old tv Show "Combat".
Many of the jams are low power blank issues.. 1/2 power blanks work better but are very loud for everyone on the set

But even these guns could chamber and fire a live round.. the gun/barrel would explode when the bullet hit the barrel modification. That is why there are Gun masters that control the guns when the filming stops..
Old April 16, 2012, 09:05 AM   #10
indy1919

Mucho thanks egor20

Many, many thanks for that web site, had never heard of these before, I wish to heavens that was just a road trip away.. For like Al Bundy I would have fired up the Mighty Dodge and be gone..