The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 15, 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
Yankee Doodle

What the heck is this all about?

Gentlemen
When I took my 642 out of the safe today, I noticed a small hole, that I never noticed before, on the left side of the frame, about 1/2" to the right, and just a bit lower than the lock.
I have had the piece for a number of years, and have never noticed this hole before.
What the heck could have happened to cause it? The gun works fine, so I am thinking that there may have been something on the interior that was a press fit into the hole.
Any definitive ideas what this is all about?
Thank you.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
mapsjanhere

You mean the little hole where pin nr 26 in this drawing is supposed to be?
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=10006
Old August 15, 2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Yankee Doodle

That appears to be it. What does it do? Is a trip to the smith required? Took off the side plate, and there is nothing floating around inside.
What should I do now?
Old August 15, 2011, 06:26 PM   #4
LordTio3

Have you tried panicking?

But seriously, a proficient gunsmith can replace a pin no problem. And an honest one won't even charge you much to do it. But I'm wondering, how many times have you had the side plate off and the guts exposed? Pins have a nasty habit of going where you don't want them when given the chance.

~LT
Old August 15, 2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Yankee Doodle

Side plate has not been off in years. At least, not by me. 'Smith did some work on the piece a couple of years ago, and that was the last time it was off.
As it happens, my gunsmith is considered by most to be one of the beat in the state, so I guess a trip is in the offing.
Old August 15, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That hole is not for the rebound slide stud, it is for the internal lock. The part is normally a bit below the surface, but the hole should not be empty all the way through. If it is, the lock has been removed. If the lock has been removed, and you don't want the lock, let it go. If you do, return the gun to S&W for replacement of the lock.

Jim

Last edited by James K; August 15, 2011 at 09:36 PM.