The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Texson

Powder storage

I need some advise on how to store my powder. I live in Texas where summer temps often hit 100 and my shop really gets hot where I reload. I have read where powder needs a cool dry place and was wondering if I could store in zip lock bags in a little refrigarator? This may be a stupid question but I need an answer.
One thing I should have sais is put powder in their original containers in a zip lock bag. My thinking was a little more protection from moisture. My wife cannot be convinced powder would be safe in the house and I had rather live with her than just the powder.
Thanks for your help

Texson

Last edited by Texson; April 4, 2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: More information
Old April 4, 2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Sevens

Buy yourself a Rubbermaid type of large plastic tote. In one of these you can keep a good 20 pounds of ammo, no sweat. Keep the tub in the air conditioned house and bring the entire tub out to the shop when you intend to reload -- or perhaps just grab the one single can that you need and leave the rest of the tub safe in the house.

If there is no A/C and you live in Texas, t'hell with the whole operation. You are nuts for living in Texas with no A/C and your ammo doesn't matter!
Old April 4, 2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Don't store loose powder in plastic bags. Use the original containers. I don't know for certain, but the solvents used in powder manufacture could soften the bag material and cause a big mess.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 4, 2010, 05:04 PM   #4
InigoMontoya

At the office we store powder in unheated, uncooled magazines exposed to the elements (ie, big metal boxes sitting out in a patch of dirt). And I'll put our heat up against yours. HOWEVER, we're pretty anal retentive about using air tight containers and desicant packs even though this is the desert and humidity shouldn't be a problem.

No problems that I'm aware of.
Old April 4, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
rwilson452

When I lived in So. Cal. I stored my powder in a cooler that was sitting on the garage floor.
Old April 4, 2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Just keep it in the original containers and don't worry about it. Until recently, I was using powder that had been stored in uncontrolled conditions in FL, GA, and NC for the last 20 years and it has worked well.

Zip lock bags are not watertight, nor airtight. Being around the water for years has taught me that. If you must bag something, get a dry bag or vacuum seal it.
Old April 4, 2010, 08:06 PM   #7
qcpunk

As the others have said.

Also, I'm not sure that leaving powder in the refridgerator is a good idea either. You may actually develope more condensation there than simply in the house at room temp.

I think the most important thing is to have a fairly constant ambient temperature. Large temp swings could promote the chemicals to break down and condensation to develope.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 4, 2010, 08:10 PM   #8
DocAitch

powder storage

I think an old non running refrigerator is a great place to store powder. If you are going to lock it, cut some holes in it and plug them with duct tape to act as blow out panels, otherwise you have a refrigerator sized bomb casing. If you don't lock, no problem
The refrigerator is insulated and should mitigate against extremes of temperature and provide some fire protection for a few minutes.
I don't think that you have to wrap the original containers in plastic bags, the original containers should provide sufficient moisture protection.
DocAitch
Old April 4, 2010, 08:22 PM   #9
big 76

I read on another forum a guy talked about storing his powder in an old ice chest in the garage. The insulation of the ice chest would help with the drastic temp. changes in the garage. This is what I have done however I have only been reloading for about six months so I have no information if this works or not.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
bobelk99

Original containers only.
No storage in refrigerator.
Storage in controlled temp of less than 80d in preferable for long term storage.

Using the above points, I am using powder in excess of 50 years of age.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:36 PM   #11
medalguy

Bob is right. Store in the original containers. If you want to put it in a NON-WORKING refrigerator that would likely maintain the temp a little bit. I keep my powder in a storage chest made out of 2 inch thick lumber and that alone keeps the temperature about 10-15 degrees cooler than the surrounding air in Houston. I am also working on some powder that I purchased at least in 1980 if not a couple of years earlier. I agree too that in the house would be best. Tell your wife the powder is not explosive and really not any more dangerous than her nail polish and hairspray which are also extremely flammable. Read her the labels.
Old April 4, 2010, 10:38 PM   #12
bobelk99

Powder opinion

This is a personal opinion, and is not intended as a rebuttal to post by Metalguy.

Never store powder in an enclosed tight space. No metal storage cabinet or heavy wood box.

If powder were to ignite, they enclosed space has a tendency to become a bomb casing.

Pour a half pound of powder on the ground and light it, and you get a poor set of fireworks.
Put a half pound of powder in a sealed 5 gallon bucket and light it with a fuse. The result is a lot more spectacular.

My powder storage had a heavy duty 'pegboard' back. If a issue develops, there will be a fire, but no big deal compared to an explosion.

Just my personal view.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Texson

Thanks all

Thanks for your answers to my question. I will try to use my powder before it has a chance to go bad. From what all have told me my concern of spoilage is probally unfounded. I know the dangers of storing powder in tight places and always should be kept in original containers.
Thanks,
texan
Old April 6, 2010, 01:12 PM   #14
BeerSleeper

One point everyone missed about the ziplock bag thing, is they can make static electricity. You won't much care if the bag failed to keep the powder dry, or if the powder solvents dissolve the bag, if you got a static charge while filling the bag.
If you're going to put the powder in a bag, do it by using a bag big enough to contain the original container.
Old April 7, 2010, 01:45 PM   #15
InigoMontoya

Regarding static.... One word: Velostat.
Old April 7, 2010, 02:31 PM   #16
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I keep mine

up in the closet. I have some that was from 1955 "4895"
and some herters primers from 1963.
All are doing great.
im in Phoenix AZ
Ed
Old April 7, 2010, 07:31 PM   #17
AlaskaMike

What's the problem with using a running refrigerator? Is it the slight risk of fire from an electrical or compressor problem?
Old April 7, 2010, 07:59 PM   #18
rwilson452

If you keep the powder in a running refrigerator, the powder will be cold. Open it up in a warm room and you have instant condensation in your powder. That is not a good thing.
Old April 7, 2010, 08:16 PM   #19
qcpunk

Doc Aitch, you're probably right about a refridgerator that doesnt work may be ok. I guess I assumed the fridge was in running order in the OP.

Bob is definately correct about no air-tight spaces. Metal ammo cans, not a good idea; Heavily constructed wooden box, not a good idea. UNLESS the storage container has some way to vent pressure and gases, god forbid something goes horribly wrong.

As for me, I just keep my powder in the original containers on a shelf in the closet of my reloading room. It's in the finished basement of my Arizona home and the basement maintains a steady 72 degrees year round with very low humidity.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln
Old April 8, 2010, 08:04 AM   #20
Uncle Buck

One thing to remember when you open a can (container) of powder is that little, irritating piece of paper or foam on the inside of the cap.

Make sure you put it back inside the cap when you open your container. It helps to protect the powder by forming a seal when the cap is replaced.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:15 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

It's fine to store powder in a cold refrigerator or even freezer.

But, as others have noted, it WILL draw condensation if you open it up immediately.

Take it out of the chill chest a couple of hours before you start loading and leave it, UNOPENED, on your loading bench to come to room temperature.

No condensation problems after that.

Old April 8, 2010, 09:03 AM   #22
Unclenick
Staff

That condensation warning applies even if you are just moderating the temperature by keeping the powder in an insulated box. I've spent some time in the Bayou area of Texas on the Louisiana boarder (Port Arthur) and when the humidity is at near 100%, even opening an insulated box (what we build in Port Arthur) that is a few degrees cooler will get condensation.

If you have near 100% humidity, you'll want to wait until the outside temperature has fallen below the temperature in the insulated box. Temperatures inside an insulation envelope will lag outside temperature changes. The powder itself is an insulator to some extent, so the center temperature of the canister lags temperature changes at its surface. But as long as outside temperature is lower than the temperature of the powder you pour out, you won't get condensation.

Powder is quite rugged as far as moisture and temperature go and can be dried back out if it gets wet. Alliant has a 100 year old sample of Unique that they store under water. Periodically, they remove and dry out a sample and test it for deterioration. None so far.

Primers are the thing that are the most storage condition sensitive loading component. Father Frog has mention of as little as one Arizona summer in the trunk of a car neutralizing them. That trunk may get to 170 degrees or so in direct sun. That's pretty extreme, but heat damage to chemicals is often cumulative, so minimize primer heat exposure where you can.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 8, 2010, 09:22 AM   #23
Mike Irwin
Staff

If the humidity is that high in your loading area you should be running a dehmuidifier, if for no other reason than to keep your press and dies from rusting.

"Alliant has a 100 year old sample of Unique..."

Not just Unique. Bullseye and other powders as well, including powders that haven't been available to the handloader since before World War II.

Old April 9, 2010, 07:31 PM   #24
claimbuster

I am lucky, as my reloading room is in the basement and the temperature there stays between 65-68 degrees year round.