The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Headgear

Removing case lubricant

I'm using Dillon spray on lubricant and wiping off the casings after loading. It seems to come off but when I was at the range today the fire cases were dark almost like a tarnished look. What is the best way to clean it off?
Old January 2, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Shoney

I tumble my completed cartridges for about 20 min. in a 50/50 mix of cob/walnut.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 2, 2010, 06:07 PM   #3
M3A1GG

Wiping the lube off of cases is a royal pain in *** especially when you have1000 plus cases. I process the lubed cases on a single stage RCBS press. After sizing they go into a tumbler. After tumbling you have to check the flash holes for media. Its a lot easer using non lubed cases through my 550. Using process cases lube does not clog up the powder drop die or get transfered to the other dies.
Old January 2, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
gearheadpyro

+1 on the pain in the rear M3A1GG.

I usually neck size with a collet die, so I don't use lube often.

When I full length size I use a body die which does not decap (Redding). I clean the cases briefly before sizing, then lube and size. After that I throw them in the tumbler with some nufinish car wax for an hour or so. Only after all of that do I decap the cases. This prevents the primer pockets and flash holes from plugging up with sticky media.
Old January 2, 2010, 07:35 PM   #5
BigJimP

I use Dillon lube as well - and for finished rounds, I dump them on a terry cloth bath towel on my bench / and roll them around under my palm to get any excess lube off - as I run them thru a case gage and box them up.

Whatever is on the cases that I pick up at the range / I just run them thru the vibratoring tumbler with walnut shell media ( and a little Dillon polish) on it.

They come out pretty bright....or bright enough to suit me...
Old January 2, 2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Randy 1911

I use a single stage press to deprime and size my brass. I then use a quick rinse in Acetone to clean off the lube. It dries in less than 5 minutes. I then check to see if they need trimming. I then load them on a progressive press. Acetone is a great de-greaser. It's only draw back is that it is flammable. I buy it at Walmart ($15 gallon) It last for a long time. It even works when dirty.

P.S. I tumble before sizing so I don't have to worry about plugged up flash holes.
Old January 2, 2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Slamfire

Quote:
I'm using Dillon spray on lubricant and wiping off the casings after loading. It seems to come off but when I was at the range today the fire cases were dark almost like a tarnished look. What is the best way to clean it off?
It is un necessary to remove lubricant unless you are shooting over maximum loads. In which case the problem is the powder charge, not the lubricant.

I have been shooting lubricated cases for decades in my M1a's and Grands. No ill effects.

Recently I have lubricating my 9mm cases with RCBS water soluble lube to make sizing effortless on my Dillion 550B. I am using carbide dies, but dry cases require so much force to size that I have powder spills. Instead of removing the lube, I shot the loaded rounds as is. Guess what, everything worked just fine in my P38's and P1 Walther.

So I tried this in 45 LC. Worked fine. My normal load is 255 L 8.5 Grains Unique. No function issues at all.

The only real disadvantages to lubricated cases is the potential for picking up grit (which must be wiped off) and greasy fingers.

After discussing this with another bud, I found out he is leaving the lube on his autopistol cases, and he is a regular IDPA competitor. His ammunition and pistols much be reliable or he won't be competitive.

We think that lubricated cases increase function reliability in autopistols as the breech friction is reduced, and new fresh lube may keep the chamber cleaner longer.
Old January 2, 2010, 10:44 PM   #8
PCJim

M3A1GG, I use the same routine as you do. May I suggest you get yourself a universal depriming die for station 1 in your 550b. It will remove any media remaining in the flash hole and will allow you to process the casings as usual, including priming.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:27 AM   #9
sc928porsche

I clean mine in a liquid detergent and water used with the rcbs liquid tumbler after they were cleaned in a vibrator, lubed and resized. Then I rinse in hot water and then they are dried in loading blocks in the oven at 140 degrees.