The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Skan21

Saiga 12

I've wanted a Saiga 12 for years now, and theres only one thing stopping me from buying one. I can't stand that AK-47 style safety. Does anyone sell a Saiga with an M-16 style selector switch, or can I get a conversion kit? Does anyone know of a box magazine shotgun other than the Saiga? Thanks for the help.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 12, 2009, 11:30 PM   #2
eclipsetactical

Easy Modification

Would be easy to modify that safety. just pull the safey out of the gun, cut the long bar AK style lever off and add on an M-16 style or whatever style you want lever. There are many apoxies out there now that will allow you to do this with glue (appoxy) no welding involved. I have seen some with over 2K lbs load strength. You will need to make sure to get your tolerneces correct when doing the cutting and reapplying though so make sure you know what the hell you are doing or take it to a machine shop that is gun friendly and tell them what you need. They will get you fixed right up.
Old August 12, 2009, 11:58 PM   #3
.351winchester

I'll probably have a NIB Saiga 12 with 2 Surefire 12's up for sale around the 21st-24th for a lot cheaper than they're going for...if not there will be a pawnbroker looking to move one. If ya want I can keep ya posted?
Old August 13, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Skan21

The gun shop down the road has them for $600. If You can get it to me for less than that including FTF, I'd be interested.

Some of you guys need to trade in a few of those Safe Queens and see if you can get a good deal on a Sense of Humor.- Me
Old August 13, 2009, 01:19 AM   #5
squeak003

what don't you like about the ak style safety. on the s-12 there are 3 functions.

1. keep the trigger from being pulled.
2. if the trigger for some reason can be pulled (the 2 contact pieces are plastic and can wear out) the gun will not reload a shell.
3. when in safe it keeps the dirt out of the action.
Old August 13, 2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Skan21

1. Keep your finger off the trigger until you want to shoot something.
2. If you ND with a shotgun, you have more problems than another shell loading.
3. Dust and dirt, unless excessive, shouldn't bother a shotgun, especially one modeled off an AK-47.

I don't think the Ak's safety is very intuitive, and it's not an easy on/off like the m-16. I carried a Colt M-4 in Iraq and throughout my 5 years in the Army with no problems. Since I'm used to the M-4, I'd like to either convert the Saiga (if possible) or buy a box mag fed semi-auto with an M-16 style selector. That's my reasoning. I'm not trying to bust on you Squeak, but 2 of 3 of the features you named, don't really matter. All I want is a safety modeled on the M-16 that keeps the shotgun from going BANG!

Old August 13, 2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Skans

What you really want is the USAS-12. But, unfortunately it was classfied as a DD and needs a Class 3 to transfer. It's more robust than the Saiga, takes 10 round stick mags or 20 round (expensive) drums. Recoil is mild and can be fired very rappidly. AR type trigger and safety selector.

Buy the Saiga while you can with all of the evil features, a 20 round or 30 round drum too. You won't regret it.....but be prepared to register it in the future. It's living on borrowed time.
Old August 13, 2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Technosavant

There are some Galil-style safety conversions for the Saiga, but they aren't all that predominant. Check out http://forum.saiga-12.com/ for all things Saiga.

I am not all that certain the S12 is likely to get banned- the only evil feature it has that most shotguns do not is the detachable box magazine. Conversions could potentially run afoul of something, but I don't see it happening anytime soon since you have to do those yourself.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Skans

Quote:
I am not all that certain the S12 is likely to get banned- the only evil feature it has that most shotguns do not is the detachable box magazine. Conversions could potentially run afoul of something, but I don't see it happening anytime soon since you have to do those yourself.
Believe me, I don't want it banned or required to be registered as a DD either. I'm a big fan of the Saiga. But, with a 20 and now 30 round drum fairly available for it, I don't know what it's fate will be. All I'm saying is that if you think you might want one, buy it now and install all the goodies you want on it NOW too. In fact, I'd document the date on which you added your goodies to your Saiga with dated photographs.
Old August 13, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Skan21

Thanks for the help guys. I really want that USAS.....

Old August 18, 2009, 07:55 AM   #11
boyracer197

.351winchester

.351winchester your mailbox is full and your email is bouncing.

What length saiga are you going to sell?
Where are you located?

Thanks

Aaron