The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 16, 2004, 11:35 AM   #26
Dave Markowitz

Clay pidgeons.

Overripe fruit from the supermarket or farmer's market. Nice splatter and environmentally friendly.
Old December 16, 2004, 12:09 PM   #27
DarkKnight01

the neighbors cats !! ! if you hit em in the back legs theyll jump around alot so you can practice for follow up shots on moving targets... hehe no im joking... i like milk jugs full of water... color in a small bullseye on the side with a marker works good.... cans of cheap soda are great as well like the "sams club" soda from walmart if you dont mind spending $3.00 or so for a case of them their great... shake em up and set em out and they explode when you hit em =) good fun... also clay pigeons are good... but if you compare the cost of them to a case of 24 cans of cheap soda versus 20 pigeons the price isnt too different... i think the cans are more fun =) i just use clay pigeons for skeet shooting... if only they would make a hand held launcher for soda cans
Old December 16, 2004, 10:45 PM   #28
gifted

WalMart sells small disks, about two inches in diameter, as airgun targets. They look kind of like minis, and the kit I was looking at had two stakes that held a disk, and a dispenser thing that would drop feed six to shoot at. You shoot one, and the others drop down. Like I said, they are intended for airguns, but I'm sure a .22 will work as long as you don't hit the holder. I plan on trying it this weekend, I'll post a report afterwards.
Old December 17, 2004, 03:27 AM   #29
Hollowpnt

When I lived in Oklahoma it was prairie dogs with a .270, the ranchers would even pay for my ammo.
Now I live in Kalifornia so PETA wouldn't approve. So its fallen oranges strewn about the range from 50 to 100 yards or so with a .243. Its fun to see how quick you can bead in and move own. Making Minutemade all the way.
Nerf footballs are good to, moving target after the first shoot, they don't last too long though.
Old December 17, 2004, 09:07 AM   #30
Hawgleg44

If you really want to see some exploding oranges, or anything else for that matter, with your .243, try some Federal Premium 60gr Sierra Hollow Points. They are explosive when they hit something. It sounded like I was hitting woodchucks with a baseball bat when I hit them with it.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old December 17, 2004, 09:41 AM   #31
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Quote:
if only they would make a hand held launcher for soda cans
Got a little spare money? I'd be glad to work one up for you in a jiffy... They're great for making snowmen blow in half.
Old December 17, 2004, 05:37 PM   #32
DarkKnight01

hehe thats tempting Cowled_Wolf... if you can get me some pics of what you have in mind i may consider it... explain to me what youve got in mind... and how it works.
Old December 17, 2004, 05:55 PM   #33
FirstFreedom

I like charcoal briquets - your hands get dirty in placing them, but they're very cheap and (relatively) environmental friendly. Challenge to hit also. Potatoes 2nd place. Clay pigeons 3rd (they're not just for shotguns anymore!)

Oh yeah, any and all small or medium or large bottles or jugs, filled with water - including milk jugs - but unlike the others listed above, you have to clean these up afterward - not a big deal.
Old December 17, 2004, 06:36 PM   #34
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
DarkKnight... Basically, I run a spudgun off my air compressor. It could easily be adapted to a bicycle pump, however. The other option would be classic hairspray combustion ones. I don't have any pics yet, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you've got if you want to build one for yourself. All it takes is a trip to any major hardware store.

As a side thought... You could even rig up a small foot or stock switch easily... Instead of yelling 'pull', you could just step or press a switch on your gun like one of them tac-lights!

Total construction costs: $15 to $100.
Total construction time: 20 minutes to 5 hours.
Time spent waiting for glue to dry: Priceless.

Edit: You're probably best off building one for yourself since shipping a large, odd-shaped object is kinda akward at best.
Old December 18, 2004, 03:32 PM   #35
mjf1911
Registration in progress

Full 2 liter bottles...especially when containing a carbonated beverage!
Old December 18, 2004, 04:42 PM   #36
ALexK

One of my favorites is a coffe can full of burning gasoline. The gas makes a small fire while burning in the can but when a rifle round hits the can and vaporizes the gasoline it is most impressive! I also like the BBQ propane tanks, but for maximum fun crack the valve and light the stream of propane. Then stand back (at least 30 feet!) and blast away. The first time I did it I was 20 feet away and the fireball was too close for comfort.
Old December 18, 2004, 06:49 PM   #37
jacketch

Tacos. You can leave them for the birds afterwards.
the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as
the lawless will allow... Society controls crime by forcing the
criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the
law-abiding." -Jeff Snyder
Old December 18, 2004, 08:30 PM   #38
dr.magnum

Those free AOL disks you get in the mail, or pick up at the checkout at Walmart. Try to hit the hole in the middle, or just bust them up. They can also be hung from branches.
Old paint cans full of old paint can be fun too. I hit one at 75 yards with a Mosin Nagant once. The lid flew 20 feet in the air.
Old December 18, 2004, 08:56 PM   #39
Chiram2003

Not sure about everyone else, but I'm really liking this thread. Getting some wicked ideas. Going to try the asprin thing with some friends and see if I can get some money riding on it. Gotta practice first, though. Thought about buying some Tannerite and burying it under two inches of dirt THEN shooting it. Spray paint cans are fun. Another good "reactive" target is a candle on a windless day. Get within 15 feet of either side of it with a .357Mag and it goes out. My dad said that when he and his friends were in the Army National Guard, trees were fun. They shot M14s and used a pencil to punch their targets. If you can find a hill you can get on with a tree at the bottom (can't remember what type of tree, so I can't tell you), gumballs are fun. So are pine cones, for that matter.
Old December 19, 2004, 02:49 PM   #40
CopeLC

cats...and I'm NOT joking.
[4]SA XD45ACP 4" Service Model Pkzd
[5]SA XD9 4" Service Model Pkzd
[6]Sig P229 9x19 Pkzd
[7]Vector Underfolder 7.62x39mm
[8]RRA Elite CAR A4 / Surefire M85 / ARMS #40L / IOR M2 / Specter SOP w/TRB and ERB
[9]RRA CAR A4 / YHM Quad Rail FF / Aimpoint CompML2 / ARMS #40 / Surefire M951C / Specter SOP w/TRB and ERB
Old December 20, 2004, 08:31 AM   #41
SNoB

Sometimes I use those small disposable propane canisters as pistol targers, they make noise and bounce around, they also take alot of abuse. Its fun setting up half a dozen or so and seeing who can knock them all down fastest. Next time you go camping, save your propane cans!
Old April 4, 2005, 03:08 AM   #42
saskuach

No-one has thought of this before? JELLO!! Make it in a gallon jug and (optionally) take it out. But you have a nice, clear blob of target matter that's fun to look at after you're done shooting.

pardon the enibriation
Old April 4, 2005, 01:09 PM   #43
MissMak

Hows the jello thing work?

Do you make it super concentrated so it holds up?
Old April 4, 2005, 02:55 PM   #44
38SnubFan

I have an old computer monitor sitting on the floor here in the living room I'm planning on using as a target. Gonna see if I can take it somewhere and run an extension cord, to hit it while it's lit!

-38SnubFan

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old April 4, 2005, 05:56 PM   #45
Nnobby45

Can I say Muslim terrorists who would destroy our country as my fantasy target? Ahh, why not!

Since my trooper days are long behind me, in a war in a far off place, I'll have to stick with Buckhorn beer for now. The stuff really blows up.
Old April 4, 2005, 06:00 PM   #46
jonathon

My favorite target is unopened pop(in the can). This one group had bought a TON of shasta a few years before this(yes, years), and they found it spoiled! So they were goin to throw it out and we said we'd take it. Best fun there ever was, they would explode when you hit them with a gush of colored liquid... Didn't last long and pop is kinda expensive to buy just to shoot..
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 4, 2005, 06:32 PM   #47
novus collectus

When I first saw TFL as a result of a google search I saw this very thread mention Tannerite. Now I have a case and all I have to do is to leave the state to use it. Hope this thread is still going after I blow some up.

How about taking red paintballs, honeycomb shaped cardboard with backboard, and a paper target with Bin laden on it. Tape the paintballs in the holes of the honeycomb, cover it with the osama bin laden target, and tilt 30 degrees so that the "blood" flows out the bullet hole and down his face. Got the idea two days ago and I am itching to see if it works.

And then I'm gonna tape a 1/2 pound of Tannerite to Bin Laden's face on the target and videotape him go BOOM and then I'm gonna send it to Al Jazeera.
Old April 4, 2005, 06:35 PM   #48
jonathon

Hmm I like the idea of the paintballs...

Eggs are also entertaining(with a .22)
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 4, 2005, 08:12 PM   #49
abelew

Bowling pins, spent shotgun casings, soda cans, clay pidgeons. Cheap (pidgeons), usually found at ranges (pidgeons, spent shotty casings, bowling pins-some ranges), or brought with you (pidgeons, soda, bowling pins).
Old April 4, 2005, 08:15 PM   #50
abelew

Bowling pins, spent shotgun casings, soda cans, clay pidgeons. Cheap (pidgeons), usually found at ranges (pidgeons, spent shotty casings, bowling pins-some ranges), or brought with you (pidgeons, soda, bowling pins). Stuff that blows up isn't up my ally, since I have nowhere safe to do so. Sorry about the repost, I was trying to add a thought, and it doubled my post.