The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2013, 09:26 AM   #1
huh

dillon square deal b

Just a quick question anybody run tula small pistol magnum primers? How do they run in the SDB I just bought a few from powder valley hope I didn't make a mistake

Thanks in advance
Huh
Old January 3, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
serf 'rett

Don't own a Dillion, do use Wolf/Tula primers. Just received 5K in November to replace the original 4K I started with.

The primers seem to be a tad harder, but I've had no failures in my pistols. They fit a little tighter in the primer pockets, so make sure they are fully seated. I hand prime my brass, which has clean primer pockets from tumbling with stainless steel pins. From what I've read, the disgruntled Tula users appear to fall in the two categories of users of light spring revolvers and progressive presses.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3
PawPaw

I run Wolf primers in .45ACP, but I seat them by hand and have had no issues.

However, since you brought it up, How do you like your SDB? I'm thinking about stepping up to a progressive press for handgun ammo, and I'm torn between the SDB and the more expensive 550.

How does that SDB work for handgun ammo?

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 3, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
anothernewb

I haven't found any brand yet that hasn't run through my SDB cleanly.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:22 PM   #5
huh

pawpaw

I absolutely love my adv I guess you can say I have drank the blue kool-aid and I am addicted. Caliber change overs are easy in my eyes. The only problem I have found is trying to keep enough components to keep up with my shooting.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:40 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

I have run Tula Large pistol primer in my SDB. I have also used Winchester and CCI large pistol primers. No problems. My SDB is only setup to load .45 apc with large primers. I use my 550b for anything with small primers including .45 apc. I prefer the 550b over the SDB press. The SDB does produce ammo like it should. I also got the SDB after owning a 550b for a while. I can do more with the 550b than I can with a press that can only do certain pistol calibers. The 550b seems to run smoother. I believe the powder measures are the same and both give me the same results when I checking powder drops. There isn't much if any difference is speed between the two once things are setup and adjusted for the load you want to do. Working up loads seems to be easier to do on the 550b in my opinion.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Vance

I have run Tula primers through both my SDB and my 650XL with no issues.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:07 PM   #8
BigJimP

All of the Dillon presses are good machines...but hopefully you understand the differences.

SDB - handgun ammo only. It uses a proprietary die system. It auto indexes. Good press / no case feeder option - and no powder check die option.

550 - progressive / but it manually indexes. No auto index / no powder check die available.

650 - progressive, auto indexing, has room for powder check die - runs best with a case feeder...

1050 ...is a commercial machine, does not have the no bs warranty...but its a good machine / but way more than any casual shooter would probably need.
-------------
deal breaker to me, on handgun ammo especially - because most of us want to run relatively high volumes - is to have the powder check ( so the SDB and 550 are both out ). 550 indexes manually ...to me its a pain in the butt...I'd go with the SDB over the 550 if all I wanted to load was handgun ammo. 550 has some oddball rifle calibers that the 650 does not have...so it has its place...but the 650 is a better press.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #9
jmorris

I made a case feed for an SD, here is a video of it.

FWIW the 550 case feed is for pistol only.