The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 15, 2012, 01:59 AM   #1
micksis86

If have the chamber reamer and a reloading die blank cana gunsmith make me dies?

So as the title suggests if I buy the reamer for a custom rifle and get a couple reloading die blanks would a gunsmith be able to make me some dies?

Alternatively which of the die makes is the best to go through when it comes to having custom dies made using a fired case from my rifle. I understand this isn't cheap but I'm going to need them.

I know that Lee do this but any other die makers?

Thanks.
Old April 15, 2012, 03:23 AM   #2
HiBC

The problem you have is a resizing die must be smaller than the chamber.PTG makes reamers,and you can get a sizing die reamer to match a chamber reamer.

My suggestion:Look carefully at the diemakers websites,such as Redding.

There are a whole lot of standard wildcats.Likely most everything from a 6mm on a 303 British Ackley improved to a .375 on a .284 Win has been done and would be a semi-custom die.That is a different price from a fully custom die.

I do not know what cartridge you are working with,but if you browse Buffalo Arms,they will have listings for the old and obscure.Some of these are 4D brand die sets.

I am not saying you cannot make dies on die blanks,but,how much an hour will you be paying your gunsmith? And,The die blanks must be soft enough to machine.

Factory dies are hard.
Old April 15, 2012, 04:38 AM   #3
micksis86

Good point HiBC I have heard that Lee for instance can make you dies if you send them a few fired cases. maybe i'll look at that i'll also see if a die maker does in fact manufacture the dies.

Thanks
Old April 15, 2012, 12:29 PM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
RCBS

RCBS has by far the largest selection of nonstandard dies . They also have the experience needed to make Special Order dies . RCBS probably sells 100 Special Order dies , for every one that Lee sells . Not much of a lee fan !
Old April 15, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not quite clear on the question. Is the cartridge a pure custom (never made before)? If so, who made the reamer or did you make it yourself?

Any cartridge for which chambering reamers are available will also have loading dies available, though they might be special order.

Jim
Old April 16, 2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Gunplummer

Good point James K. Where is the brass coming from? Other posts are right also, you can get away with standard Dies sometimes. Made a reamer for an 8mmx54R once and the sizing die only needed a bigger expander ball. Depends what you are up to.
Old April 16, 2012, 06:54 AM   #7
F. Guffey

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/2010_SpecialOrder.pdf

RCBS also makes die blanks listed on or near the last page.

F. Guffey
Old April 18, 2012, 09:44 PM   #8
nogo

Reamer. Die

Please keep in mind that all gunsmiths(and their equipment)are not equal. I strongly recommend a custom rifle maker for this job.