The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 12, 2001, 01:16 PM   #1
Hutch

When did the Model 14 get replaced by the 14-1? Did S&W ever offer an orange or red insert in the Patridge front sight on this model? How about a white outline rear sight?

Thanks in advance.
Old March 12, 2001, 02:47 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Dash one occured in 1959, indicates change from right-hand to left-hand thread on ejector rod. (Jinks)

No idea on the sight question.

Sam

Old March 12, 2001, 08:57 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hutch,

As far as I can tell on the sight question from reading Supica & Nahaus' book, the answer is no.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 13, 2001, 04:36 PM   #4
Hutch

Thanks, Sam and Mike. Sam, I guess that means mine "new" one (I REALLY like this one gun a month stuff) was made 'tween '57 and '59, as it is marked Mod 14 inside the crane on the frame. Mike, I am really jealous of your S&W Encyclopedia. I've been to 2 gun shows looking for one since last we spoke of it, and I still can't find one.
Old March 13, 2001, 08:43 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hutch,

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is currently out of print... I'd offer you one of mine (I have two), but I don't use the one because it is signed by Rick Nahaus, who is one of the authors.

But have heart!

I spoke Rick a couple of weeks ago (well, we actually traded phone messages), and the 2nd edition is currently at the printer.

He's hoping for a July release.

Old March 14, 2001, 02:37 PM   #6
Hutch

I shall endevour to persevere until then. Any chance you could get your bud to sign one for moi?
Old March 15, 2001, 10:40 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Hutch,

When it comes out and you get a copy, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do.

Now that the one shop where we used to regularly cross paths has closed, I talk with him on the phone a lot more than I do in person.

What I can do is call him, find out when he's hitting a show, and be there at the same time.