The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2017, 12:54 PM   #26
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Dunno access details, but there are a lot of hogs in the Guadalupe River bottoms below Cuero. Same along US 90 between Castroville and Uvalde.
Old July 31, 2017, 06:11 PM   #27
Ibmikey

JohnKSa, I may have a bit too much heat on the noodle while here in Texas but in order for your second paragraph to make sense perhaps you could add factual data to your rhetoric?
Old July 31, 2017, 11:03 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

I'm sorry you had difficulty understanding the paragraph/sentence.

The sentence referenced two different data sets.

The first one was Old Stony's observations of hog movement this summer vs. last. I took that information at face value and have not made any attempt to either verify it or call it into question. If that is what you are asking about, I can't help you. For whatever it's worth, I do not doubt Old Stony's claim about his observations of hog movement this summer vs. last summer, nor can I think of any good reason to doubt it. It seems reasonable to me that you should take his observations about hog movement as truth.

If you're asking about the temperature data, perhaps I can help you there.

Since we haven't been provided with any location more specific than "East Texas", I looked up temperature data for June and July of 2016 and 2017 for the DFW area (I stated that in my first response on that topic) which is considered to be northeast TX. The results showed that 2016 was slightly hotter than this year which agreed with my recollections/impressions. I didn't record the specific website which I found on the 25th, so I can't provide the exact link.

Double Naught Spy stated that he did a similar type of comparison for a number of East TX towns (I believe he said 5) and found similar results--2016 was about the same or slightly hotter than 2017.

I can provide some links which provide historical temperature data for the northeast/east TX area in case you're having difficulty locating a resource like that. I can't verify that either of these is the website I initially used, but here are a couple websites that provide temperatures for northeast/east TX during June/July 2016/2017.

https://www.weather.gov/fwd/dmotemp

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...stx1383/2017/6

If you wish to find other similar sources, I'm sure there are others out there--it was very easy to find these two.

Hope that helps.
Old August 1, 2017, 04:53 AM   #29
Ibmikey

I went back and read post number nine once again, the only mention of temperature is that it is hotter during our hunts today than a year ago. It should also be noted that last year the hunting was during April and May.
I am confused as to your obsession with the mean temperature between last year and this as the point of Stoney's post was physical cover and location simply noting temperature as a contributing factor. I have found the cover here in E Texas to be quite dense compared to other parts of Texas I have visited. If a person were traveling here to hunt hogs without land to access they may not be terribly successful.
Hopefully as the dawn breaks today I will be able to face a few of your porker critters and up this years tally allowing me to joyfully report back to all. If not, back to the drawing board! But most of all I thank the Great State of Texas for the opportunity to join in the removal of feral hogs from their quest of destruction.
Old August 1, 2017, 11:43 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I went back and read post number nine once again, the only mention of temperature is that it is hotter during our hunts today than a year ago. It should also be noted that last year the hunting was during April and May.
The fact that you hunted last year in April & May vs. your midsummer hunt this year is useful information indeed as it provides critical context that immediately explains what otherwise appears to be a contradiction.

I do agree that it should be noted. In fact, a simple reply to my initial comment, noting that fact, would have cleared up the confusion immediately. Instead...well, instead the confusion was exacerbated by a number of oddly uninformative responses on a variety of topics except, of course, the single point of confusion.
Quote:
I am confused as to your obsession with the mean temperature between last year and this as the point of Stoney's (sic) post was physical cover and location simply noting temperature as a contributing factor.
1. I'm sorry about your confusion--there seems to be a lot of that going around. By way of explanation, my comments were not about the mean temperature of 2016 vs 2017--which is a good thing--it is impossible to know the mean temperature of 2017 since it's still in progress. I can see how your thinking I was talking about the average temperature of 2017 would be confusing. My comments related only to the average temperatures of the assumed timeframes of the hunts for both years. The time periods which the post in question referred to and implied were different in temperature.

2. I suppose that being interested in "a contributing factor" which seems to be generally accepted as being important to hog movement could be referred to as an “obsession”. I suppose that being interested in hunting in general or being interested in other specific factors (such as cover or location) likely to affect the success of a hog hunt could also be considered to be an obsession.

3. I’ve made no claim as to main point of Old Stony’s post, nor do I disagree with your characterization of it. I only commented about one aspect of the post about, as you call it, "a contributing factor" to hog movement. I tried to make it clear which part of the post I was referring to by quoting only that portion and I'm sorry if you got the idea that my comments/questions were an attempt at summarizing the post in question or making claims about what its point was.
Old August 2, 2017, 12:12 AM   #31
Ibmikey

Have a nice day
Old August 2, 2017, 12:43 AM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Why thank you! And the same to you, of course.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:43 PM   #33
Rcinit

Very interesting y'all.

I'd say if you want to come to Texas to kill hogs for fun, go with an out fitter. Expect to spend some money. I'm very lucky myself in the fact that I have friends with access to lots of different places to hunt. I also have a couple Thermal units and suppressors. So having good equipment goes along way in who get to hunt with. However you choose to do it, keep in mind to hunt where the pigs are. For example, where the crops are being harvested or natural food sources that the pigs will be hitting at the time of year you plan on going. Depending on what part of Texas you go to, corn is being harvested. In standing corn you won't find the pigs no matter how many are in there. Afterwards you'll see them everywhere in the open fields for a couple weeks. At least till that food source is gone. Wheat and milo fields are the same way. Come the fall acorns and pecan groves will be full of hogs. I have 101 confirmed hog kills this year alone, compared to 70 all of last year. I'm pretty much hunting the same areas too.
Old August 11, 2017, 08:46 PM   #34
Rcinit

https://youtu.be/GzgQg1-FSSA here's just a small example of some of my hog killing. The link is too one of my video's on a youtube channel my son setup for me.
Old August 14, 2017, 06:22 PM   #35
rickyrick

I didn't record any data, but hot dry years=less hogs. Less hot and more wet = more hogs.
The exception being that it could be hot and dry and you see more hogs, if this is the case you are in a migration path of hogs desperately seeking a wetter place.
Old August 14, 2017, 07:53 PM   #36
Old Stony

Ibmikey has managed to snag 18 of them so far on this summer's visit. Still pretty slow in the hog dept. around here, but there is still hope for more. I am seeing a little more movement in some of the areas we hunt....while some of the otherwise normally productive areas are still very quiet. Still a few more weeks for him to drop some more though.
Old August 14, 2017, 09:08 PM   #37
Rcinit

Pigs should be moving out in the open this week/weekend at night. Hot weather during the day and waning moon to almost no moon at night means the pigs normally move into the open fields. They seem to feel safer. We killed 6, close to Meriden Texas, and 2 more down by Hamilton Texas this past weekend. Hope to do better this week. However we're taking some folks hunting who have never hunted at night with thermals before. number one is for them to see pigs and number two is they shoot at pigs and last but certainly not least, they kill a pig.
Old August 14, 2017, 10:24 PM   #38
O4L

Here in central Oklahoma we are going to try the green light at a feeder approach to night time hog hunting.

Can't afford the thermal scopes or night vision gear.
Old August 15, 2017, 07:56 AM   #39
thallub

We have had a break in the weather along with rain. The hogs are moving around more. My grand-daughter shot hogs on the 4th and 6th of August: Hogs came to a feeder after sunset.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:35 AM   #40
Old Stony

04L.....Don't bother with super expensive lights, you can buy solar powered porch lights at Harbor Freight for about 25 bucks that work just fine. I use a bunch of them at different feeders and have shot a lot of hogs under them. They come with motion detectors as well...
Old August 15, 2017, 10:23 AM   #41
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
04L.....Don't bother with super expensive lights, you can buy solar powered porch lights at Harbor Freight for about 25 bucks that work just fine. I use a bunch of them at different feeders and have shot a lot of hogs under them. They come with motion detectors as well...
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
Old August 15, 2017, 06:29 PM   #42
rickyrick

I took a primos red spotlight that clips on the scope, took the 6v light bulb out and replaced it with an H3 12v motorcycle bulb. I then put a12v rechargeable feeder battery in a fanny pack to power it. I also added a cigarette lighter adapter so that I could charge and/or operate it in my truck.
It was great for hunting, super bright but with the red lens critters never reacted to it. The battery would last a couple of hunts in between charges. Of course it's turned on only intermittently.
Half-moonlight at your back can allow you to see fairly well. The time between half moon and quarter moon was pretty fruitful night hunting, at least for me.