The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2014, 09:10 PM   #1
Targa

A little help please ?

I am headed to Bass Pro Shop on monday with a friend of mine, he wants to pick up a 20 gauge shotgun for his son's 14th birthday, my knowledge of shotguns extends to my dad's Mossberg 500 and my Remington 870, both are for HD scenarios and a few range days but that is it. The gun he wants to by his son will primarily be for skeet/clay pigeon shooting with the old man and he would like to stay under $350. His son is a skinny kid, about 5'10" and I can't imagine him being more than 140lbs. Any input would be appreciated ? Thanks, Darrin.
Old April 14, 2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

Why a 20 and not a 12? You can't get a skeet/trap gun for $350, but can get a Mossberg and perhaps a Remington 870.
Old April 14, 2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Bake

Sounds to me, that you have 2 questions;

1. 20 ga. No problem.

2. $350.00 budget, BIG PROBLEM!!!
Old April 14, 2014, 06:49 AM   #4
B.L.E.

If the intent is to shoot informally, shooting skeet singles with his dad, look for a good break open single shot that fits the shooter and has a long barrel, at least 28 inches, preferably 30 or 32. This is for sight radius, balance, and ability to swing and follow through, not for ballistics.

Maybe you can find an old used gun at that price, you can shoot doubles with a pump, but you'll be at a disadvantage against people shooting semi-autos or double barrels.

Don't rule out 12 gauge, shooting 7/8 ounce low noise low recoil ammo, a 12 actually kicks less than a 20 shooting a normal load. This ammo has "may not cycle semi-auto" warnings printed on the box.

The Wingmaster version of a 870 would be a good pump for clays but they retail for a lot more than $350.
Old April 14, 2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Targa

Very good, thank you all for the info, like I said my knowledge of shotguns is very limited. I will pass this information on to him.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:32 AM   #6
g.willikers

There's plenty of good, older Remington 1100s around for sale for under $400, generally.
Especially the field grade ones.
They are a little on the heavy side, but make an excellent clay bird gun, for minimal expense.
Old April 14, 2014, 08:38 PM   #7
motorhead0922

Targa, did you find anything today?
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old April 14, 2014, 09:06 PM   #8
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers
They are a little on the heavy side, but make an excellent clay bird gun, for minimal expense.
Heavy is not necessarily a bad thing for trap, skeet, and sporting clays. Heavy guns kick less so you don't develop flinch and the weight helps to keep you from overswinging ahead of the bird and then stopping and trying to spot shoot in front of the bird, which usually causes a miss.
Old April 14, 2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Targa

No motorhead, his daughter was sick today so he had to stay home with her. I did pass on the thoughts from the reply's here and he said thank you all for giving him a bit of direction.

Last edited by Targa; April 14, 2014 at 11:46 PM.