The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 24, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: January 2, 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,171
Question in regards to SBR paperwork.

I'm currently actively serving in the US military

I was wondering how this could affect me being able to register an rifle as an SBR.

I was considering having my parents who live in Arizona (which allow the legal possession of SBR and other NFA firearms) to be signed in on a gun trust so that they too could legally hold onto my rifle in the event I'm stationed in a state that forbids me from possessing a rifle or I happen to be deployed.

Ultimately, I'd like to know if this is possible and a wise thing to do. Currently I'm stationed in Utah, but I'm almost guaranteed to be deployed at some point in my career.

I'm early in my career which has me staying on base in the dorms, and seeing as I cannot have firearms in my place of residence (I'd have to store them in the armory) how would that also affect my registration?

The only alternative I can see is that I find someone who I can trust off base, and register them as being on the "trust" so that they too could be "In possession" of the rifle until I can find a place of my own off base or simply keep it in Arizona with my family who would be on the "trust" anyway.
Kimio is offline  
Old November 24, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Don H
Senior Member
Join Date: May 8, 2000
Location: SLC,Utah
Posts: 2,704
BATF has an answer for you:
Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual’s application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?
NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.
Don H is offline  
Old November 24, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: January 2, 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,171
Thank you very much, that cleared up a lot of the problems
Kimio is offline  
Old November 26, 2012, 11:13 PM   #4
David Hineline
Senior Member
Join Date: December 23, 1999
Location: South Sioux City, Nebraska
Posts: 704
Also in the case of a short rifle, a 16" barrel or longer can be put on and taken with you and used in your state of no NFA.

Of course if you are in CA it would be one of the most restrictive states.

My daughter by my advise checked her guns into the Armory at MCAS Yuma, while she was out of the dorms within 3 months, it took 18 months to get her guns out of the armory. Keep them off base stored anywhere safe.
David Hineline is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.05558 seconds with 10 queries