The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 8, 2012, 08:13 AM   #26
jimbob86

Quote:
Keep fighting, it will come.
This^, not

Quote:
If I could move I would. Actually might up to my farm house in MI.
That, because, as the man said, "Evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Quote:
If anything the layman can do let us know!
http://isra.org/

ask there^.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
C0untZer0

There hasn't been a succesfull resolution to the challenge to NYC's exorbitant fees for getting a gun permit. There really was nothing stopping Chicago from enacting the type of fees that New York charges, but they didn't.

It's a common political tactic to simply not fund something that you're opposed to - as Quinn has done in this case, but it's not the only area of law enforcement that the state has either under-funded or flat out not funded.
Old February 8, 2012, 09:45 AM   #28
bitttorrrent

I will go to websites given Jimbob... and no I am not fleeing. Just ranting. I have too much property in IL to leave at this point.

It is just hard for me to believe that since I am back into guns after 40years, that my state is THE ONLY ONE without a concealed carry law and that is what I really wanted. My friend is also my alderman and in the books, it is stated that that job is an exception. So he can. I should have run for office.
Old February 8, 2012, 10:00 AM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
I will go to websites given Jimbob... and no I am not fleeing. Just ranting. I have too much property in IL to leave at this point.
I used to rant about the same thing, encouraging to folks to "vote with their feet" and move someplace free...... until it was pointed out to me that this was not constructive or helpful to our cause.

Quote:
My friend is also my alderman and in the books, it is stated that that job is an exception. So he can. I should have run for office.
Maybe, but for sure, you should point out, especially to him, that this situation (Some animals are more equal than others. - Animal Farm) is an injustice and can not stand in a free country. There's a platform there, should you decide to run!

Last edited by jimbob86; February 8, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:07 AM   #30
vito

I wish I could be even slightly optimistic about concealed carry here in the dysfunctional state of IL. But two things in today's Tribune make me think that we are in a hopeless situation. First was an article about the Mayors Against Guns funded and led by the ulta-elitist billionaire mayor of NYC, a group fully supported by Chicago's mayor. The second article was even more discouraging. Apparently a poll shows that 53% of voters in IL still support our failed and incompetent President. With the sorry condition of the nation's economy, and with IL in even worse shape, and with a President who is more anti-gun than Clinton, if a majority of citizens here still support him there is little reason for hope for anything to get better in IL, let alone for us to get concealed carry. I lived in Texas for many years, and found the heat almost unbearable for much of the year, but as soon as I retire (sometime in the next 18 months) I will sell my house (even at a big loss) and likely return to Texas. No state income tax and CONCEALED CARRY!
Old February 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #31
Double J

I live in Southern Illinois. Even though Springfield is supposed to be the capital, hardly ever do we hear Springfield mentioned. It's like it doesn't exist. All our laws are handed down to us from Chicago politicians. We don't have the vote power down here to fight Chicago. Even though we live closer to Nashville, Tennessee than Chicago, we'll never be granted our rights until Chicago changes.
Old February 21, 2012, 12:05 PM   #32
JimPage

DoubleJ:

Your problem sounds a lot like our problem in New York state in regard to NYC.
Old February 21, 2012, 08:26 PM   #33
C0untZer0

Springfield has a weather monitoring station, on the radio I sometimes hear them mention what the temperature is in Springfield
Old February 29, 2012, 09:50 PM   #34
10 acre woods

I vote make Chicago there own country seeing they are so unamerican with there anti gun laws and forcefulness on the rest of the state. Why must a large city force there motives on the larger state. I say one law for the country. Right to bear arms should never be limited. There is a reason our forefathers wrote this into our countries rights. Stop infringing on our rights. cars kill more people then guns do why don't you make them illegal.
Some random thoughts from the southern tip of this state.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:32 PM   #35
Indi

If Illinois does pass a CC law and your worried about the wait for a Illinois permit, apply for a Utah or Florida permit instead. They are accepted most places. But knowing Chicago I'm sure they will make it where if you are a resident you have to have a IL permit, more money in the states pockets. Good luck. I hope something happens soon, I can't wait to visit Chicago, while concealing 7 pistols....LOL.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:51 AM   #36
vito

I already have non-resident permits from Pennsylvania and New Hampshire. What would similar licenses from Utah and Florida add?
Old March 1, 2012, 09:11 AM   #37
C0untZer0

There's no indication that Illinois would accept other state's CCW training as fulfilling whatever requirements Illinois might have.

Very complicated issue right? When we say "Illinois" - that means some kind of vote in the future and the issue of training is going to have to appease moderates on the issue and you have to remember that the antis in Illinois will be pushing for some outragous thing like 18 hours or 40 hours of training.

I haven't done the Utah or PA classes because I don't think that training will be accepted by Illinois when we do get CCW.

But another huge part of this is underfunding the parts of the state government that would have to process any applications - which Illinois is doing right now with the FOID process.

And you have to remember, the number of people who already have FOIDs is in the hundreds of thousands, the number of people who have CCL is obviously zero. If the ISP can't even keep up with hundreds of FOID applications they get on a monthly basis - there is no way they are going to be able to ever issue CCL to all te people who apply.
Old March 1, 2012, 04:41 PM   #38
bitttorrrent

Quote:
Springfield has a weather monitoring station, on the radio I sometimes hear them mention what the temperature is in Springfield

That is the funniest thing I have heard all day! Springfield is like a college campus for the states politicians. If they were not around there, the place would be a ghost town.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:09 PM   #39
Indi

@ Vito probably NOTHING. I wasent aware of you other permits.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:11 PM   #40
Indi

@ Vito probably NOTHING. Just saying that if u apply for a non resident permit from somewhere else you would probably get it b4 a Illinois permit. If Illinois ever gets one, and who knows if they will accept a non residence permit.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:13 PM   #41
Indi

I think Utah and Florida are the most accepted non resident permits.