The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2009, 05:03 PM   #1
LilLady

Please Recommend Press

Hi. I want to get my man everything he needs to get started reloading for rifles. I'm not trying to go top-of-the-line here, but also I don't want something made out of plastic that will break if he cusses in its presence. Just something to get him started. If he likes this as much as he thinks he's going to, he can upgrade. I know some about it, but not enough. I'm looking at all these different presses and kits and I just have no idea what's good and what isn't. I know this is purely an opinion question, but I figure ya'll at least know better than me. What brands do ya'll like? Any particular presses? Am I right to assume buying a kit is a bad idea? Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Also, sorry to clog up ya'lls forum with this junk...I know you're here to talk about reloading with people who know about it, and I appreciate your time.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:24 PM   #2
rwilson452

A good starting press for rifle I would think would be the Lee Classic Cast. As far as I know it doesn't come in a kit form. All the kits I have seen are not totally complete. It would help to know what calibers he will be loading. If you don't know the caliber, it will be marked on the side of the barrel. Will he be loading for just one rifle or more than one. How many? We can give you a better answer if we know what the answers are. Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum?
Old December 1, 2009, 05:26 PM   #3
jimbob86

I started with a Lee Anniverary kit- it had everything but the dies and components.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Welcome to the forum.

The kits are not necessarily bad. The Lee Anniversary kit is inexpensive, and when he decides to upgrade he'll still find use for what comes in it and won't feel bad about setting its components aside if he wants, say, a better scale, because they don't cost a lot. I still have the lightweight press of the kind that comes in those kits doing duty for odd operations.

Since the kit makers don't know what caliber you are loading for, these kits don't come with quite everything. You'll need a set of dies for each cartridge (chambering) he wants to load for. Rifle will require a case trimmer and case mouth chamfering and deburring tool. And you'll need the expendable components: powder, primers, and bullets. We can't make a recommendation for those unless we know what cartridges his guns are chambered for and what his shooting objectives are (i.e., hunting or target shooting)? If he doesn't have one already, a digital caliper is a huge help. There are lots of other useful odds and ends of gadgets that may be purchased, but a kit and those items will allow a start.

I like Lee for beginners not just because it is inexpensive enough that you don't feel like you've lost a lot if you change your mind about the hobby, but they also have help videos on line. These show how to set up the press and every die.

If you go the Lee kit route, get the version of the kit that has Lee's databook, Modern Reloading 2nd edition, if you can? It has some good instructions in it. If you can't, then budget for a copy of that book or of a good load manual like the Lyman #49 Handloading Handbook. Either covers basics for beginners.

If you want a really beefy press, Lee has the best bargain among shooting presses today (IMHO). It is their Classic Cast single-stage press. It is investment cast steel and has absolutely no flies on it. It is tougher and more rigid than some of its much more expensive competitors. It does not currently come in a kit, however, which means buying the other components separately. It comes with a priming tool so, in addition to the items mentioned above, that will leave a powder scale, either a powder measure (dispenser) or a powder funnel if he is going to weigh charges individually (slow work), and case sizing lubricant at the minimum. A loading tray that holds the cases for charging is not an absolute requirement, but makes the work easier and makes it easy to keep track of where each round is in the process. Some plastic boxes for his finished cartridges is another nice thing to have, though you can make due with old commercial ammunition boxes.

Come back with additional questions,

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; December 1, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:15 PM   #5
wncchester

Bless your little heart, your's is a fortunate man!

Let me ditto the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. It's big and strong and well made enough for anything he could ever do and the price is RIGHT! It doesn't come in a kit at this time but that's okay, kits don't really offer the better choices of tools across the board anyway.

I'd suggest you at good loading manual and the press, maybe a set of dies too, all Lee's. Their the Pacemaker or Delux die sets are the better deals for him now. He will also need several other tools - loading blocks, powder measure and scale for sure - but let him pick those out. Then, IF he doesn't like something, it will be HIS fault! (I know about those things!)
Old December 1, 2009, 06:34 PM   #6
LHB1

Your husband is a lucky man to have such a thoughtful wife. Just to give another view, not all of us endorse Lee reloading equipment. IMO, equipment by RCBS, Hornady, and Redding is superior in quality. He will definitely need one or more reloading manuals also. These manuals include info on how to reload as well as technical info on specific load recipes. Nosler, Sierra, Speer, and Hornady all publish good manuals.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:37 PM   #7
reloader28

The Lee set up is cheaper, but in my opinion is also cheaper built. I am not a Lee fan personally, but its a cheaper way to start. The Lee cast press is good but theres alot of cheap components in the rest of the kit.

Most people that start reloading love it as much as shooting so in my personal opinion I would spend the $350 or so dollars and get the RCBS Rockchucker kit (not Partner). Thats what my wife did years ago and she actually found a kit with everything except dies and shell holder.

I have added much to it since, but really nothing I could do without. Mine even came with a Case Trimmer 2. Not sure they come with a trimmer now, though when he needs a trimmer, Lee sells cheap ones to get started.

If he decides he does'nt like reloading, you will have no problem selling for the same money you got in it.
Lyman is a good brand to and for basically the same money as RCBS I think. Redding and Forester are very good but on the spendy side so stay away for a beginner.

Then have him join TFL here. These people are the best source of info on the planet! Thats why I joined.

He'll find what he whats to add on later.

Just my opinion among many.

Last edited by reloader28; December 1, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:10 PM   #8
chris in va

I'm new to reloading and have been using a Lee Hand Press for a couple months. After using this thing, (and it's a change in tune for me) I'd recommend the Lee Turret press. It was pointed out to me it can be used as a 'single stage' until he gets the hang of things, then it can be switched to a setup that rotates each 'stage' of the process for faster and more efficient reloading. The dies don't have to be switched out like with a single stage press.
Old December 1, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9
The_Vigilante

Please Recommend Press

I would recommend Lee Classic Turret press which has the same rugged construction as the Lee Classic Single Stage press. It can be used like a single stage press for a beginner and later can be used to turn out the ammo a little faster than reloading single stage. The good news is it can be bought in a kit from Kempf Gun Shop/Reloading for the price of $177.95. Here is the link: https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41.

Last edited by The_Vigilante; December 1, 2009 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add link
Old December 1, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10
wncchester

I repeat: "Let me ditto the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. It's big and strong and well made enough for anything he could ever do and the price is RIGHT!"

There are a lot of people who equate a high price with better quality. Actually, price is about as poor an indicator of quality as anything I know of.

I have and use an RCBS Rock Chucker II and a Lyman iron press. They are good and I won't toss them out but, if I needed to replace either one tomorrow it would be with the Lee Classic Cast, it's the better press at any price!

A turret press CAN be a good idea for those who load large quanities of pistol ammo, and the Lee Classic Turret is a good one. But turret presses are really of little use for the typical low volume rifle shooter. And the extra complications of a turret can actually be an unnecessary handicap for the new guy if it's not needed.

"Nosler, Sierra, Speer, and Hornady all publish good manuals."

That's very true. But they are not nearly as helpful to new guys as the Lee and Lyman manuals. And, as always, the Lee is less costly.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:45 PM   #11
sserdlihc

I still use the Lee anniversary kit. I did however upgrade the scale to an electronic scale. It has done me just fine. I load everything from 9mm to 7mm
mag. I am getting to the point though that I am shooting so much that I am going to have to upgrade to a progressive press. Good problems to have!

The Lee anniversary kit will come with a manual.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:59 PM   #12
Emerson

Hard to beat an RCBS Rock Chucker. He'll never wear it out.
Old December 1, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
DaveBeal

I just bought my first press a couple months ago. I went with the Lee Classic Cast and have no complaints, especially considering the cost.
Old December 1, 2009, 09:40 PM   #14
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Press: Lee Classic CAST, RCBS Rockchucker
Scale: RCBS 5-0-5 at the minimum.
Powder Measure: Just about anything except Lee.

These are the three most critical components to start out equipment wise. If you're confident that he will enjoy reloading, these are my recommendations. None of them are top of the line. However, these are solid components that will last and won't break the bank.

Here are some other components to help round out the list if budget allows:

Hand held priming tool: Any brand will do. Lee, RCBS, etc.
Case trimmer: Lee's hand-held trimmer will get him started for all intents and purposes. You can get the cutter, holder, and collet for the specific cartridge for cheap. The only problem is he can only trim to SAAMI specs. But I'm willing to bet this will be plenty for what he needs. Think of SAAMI as in allowing him to trim his cases to factory tolerances.
Calipers: Either digital or analog will do just fine.
Dies: Lee's deluxe die set will be perfect to get his feet wet. For competition or serious target shooting, I'd recommend Redding. But you can't go wrong with Lee. In case you haven't picked it up yet, Lee will be the least expensive option, too.
Shell holder for the press: ANY brand will do.
Reloading Manual: Lee, Lyman's 48th or 49th, Hornady, Speer, are some good ones. He WILL need more than one. Long story, but he will...

There are a myriad of other components, but this should get him close to go-time. I didn't mention safety glasses because trying to recommend these is the same as saying what shoes is best for him.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old December 1, 2009, 09:47 PM   #15
The_Vigilante

Please Recommend Press

I don't think LilLady-the original poster-indicated which pistols and/or rifles her husband would be reloading for and how much actual shooting he does. If he does a lot of shooting a single stage press is going to get old awfully fast. If he only shoots rifles occasionally a single stage is great. Maybe LilLady can provide additional details as to what her husband shoots and how much shooting he does!

Last edited by The_Vigilante; December 1, 2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: correct
Old December 1, 2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Fullthrottle

I can't really offer much more advise than what has been given. That said I chose the Lee 50th kit, it works fine for me. What type you get him depends on how much he shoots. I know there are other brands, that do well might I add, but if he doesn't reload at all now I recommend starting out small, parts can always be added down the road!
As others have said the "kits" are not complete, other items will be needed, but that all works out with what you are loading.
That said, all of the folks I personaly know still have their origonal equiptment and still use it(including Lee) even if they have other brands in their arsenal!
Old December 1, 2009, 10:06 PM   #17
BigJakeJ1s

Depending on what your budget for a single stage press is:
Low (~$80) Lee Classic Cast press*
Medium (~$160) Redding Big Boss II
High (~$240) Redding UltraMag or Forster Co-Ax*

Case Trimmer:
Low: Lee case trimmer/pilots
Medium: L.E.Wilson trimmer /case holders*

Hand Priming tool:
Low: Lee Autoprime*
Medium; Hornady or RCBS hand primer (round tray)
High: Sinclair, RCBS Universal hand primer (square tray)*

Powder measure:
Low: Lee Perfect Powder Measure*
Medium: RCBS QC Uniflow* or Hornady LNL

Dies:
Low: Lee Collet*
Medium: Hornady*
High: Forster*

*Good Value

Andy
Old December 1, 2009, 11:08 PM   #18
Uncle H

I too started with a Lee press that I still use for decapping.

I've since added hundreds of dollars in "needed" equipment-Dillon 550B, RCBS Rockchucker, RCBS electronic dispenser/scale and tons of other "necessary" gadgets. Seems to go with the territory.
Old December 1, 2009, 11:49 PM   #19
Kyo

My Lee 4 hole turret has been a blast so far. I have broken the plastic ratchet turning square thingy twice, but both were my fault!
I shoot 45 ACP and my reloads turn out pretty good. Go for the kit, and get the deluxe die set. It will save you some money.
I know not everyone endorses Lee, and thats cool, but from my personal experience as a newbie reloader of less than 6 months, I really enjoy using that press. My dad does too. We prime all the shells first, then we do the other 3 stages after that. Easy to go from single stage mode to charge/seat/crimp.

There are better presses out there. I just think this one or any single stage would be good for a starter. I didn't bother with a single stage because you can do either with a turret press, so to me there was no loss in getting one.
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 2, 2009, 12:41 AM   #20

here's my 2 cents... I would buy him the RCBS rock chucker supreme master reloading KIT, a set of dies for his favorite rifle and the shell holder it needs, if you buy rcbs dies it tells you on the die box what # shell holder you need .... here's why. If he doesnt like this hobby and wants out, you will have no problems unloading this stuff, rcbs has an excellent reputaion in the this field, while the LEE stuff is good and much less money, i would be very hesitant to buy a used lee press. this is only based on what others have told me, not my personal exerience. An example of this would be, and i'm 99% sure i read it in this thread, someone said, "get the rock chucker, he'll never wear it out." The other reason i would vote for rcbs is, if you buy him the lee press to start with and he later decides he wants something better, he'll probably want an rcbs, so why not just get it now? He'll need a case trimmer of some sort to reload rifles, but he probably wont need it right away. here's another idea... just a thought how about a gift card to a place like cabela's, they have a good variety. I'm not sure if you could get one for midway or not... i know, gift cards arent the same as a box under the tree and seem like the you would be taking the easy way out, but sometimes its wise. good luck
Old December 2, 2009, 03:35 AM   #21
Lost Sheep

Wow.

Welcome to the forum, and bless you for being such a thoughtful spouse.

In my opinion, you have received excellent advice so far.

Here's my experience/opinions on points that may have been missed so far.

The excellent book "ABC's of Reloading" describes the process very well. It is written so the novice or inexperienced (you) can understand the process. It is short on loading data (how much powder to use, what bullets, etc.), but well worth reading nonetheless.

Some load for economy and some load because homemade ammo, carefully crafted, is often superior to factory ammo, accuracy-wise. One can "tune" the ammunition for just the way any particular rifle performs (how the barrel flexes , etc). If you husband is a meticulous detail-oriented accuracy loving zealot or one who thrills with the ability to punch lots of holes, you probably already know. He may transition from the latter to the former as he gets into it, or vice-versa.

Lee makes stuff purposely so that people on a tight budget can enjoy the advantages of loading. But make no mistake, the Lee equipment is worth the prices and their medium and higher priced stuff is as good as anyone else's of the same design and price range.

For rifle cartridges, especially if they are of larger size, a compound leverage press takes less force from the operator than a single lever type. So if he is loading 30-06 and larger maybe this will matter. If loading .223 Remington or 30-30, the single lever might do. If he is loading REALLY big cartridges, an "O" press will be stiffer than a "C" press. The difference between "C" and "O" is revealed by looking at the letters. "C" is open to the front, and easier to insert your hand, holding a cartridge into position. An "O" press is closed to the front (actually shaped more like a square, but we have no letter shaped like a square), thus can be stiffer.

Aluminum vs Cast Iron or Steel. Aluminum takes a little more care (it is a soft metal, after all) but it is less expensive and is lighter. Cast iron lasts like... well, cast iron. Steel is as good as cast iron, I guess, but I have never owed one in steel, so cannot say from experience. Keep the aluminum press clean and lubed once or twice a year and it will last a lifetime, just as the iron will. But the iron one may just last your childrens' lifetimes as well.

Buying a kit is a convenient way to get started with almost everything needed. The drawback is that most kits contain a few items not needed (or not needed right away) and some items will be found to be not to your taste, thus will be replaced as the maturing reloader develops preferences. You might be able to assemble a kit of really nice individual components by making a list of the components in a kit that you like. But to do this, you really will have to read some loading manuals to make sure you don't leave anything necessary out. So, I would advise a kit.

I always recommend a single stage press for the novice loader. When performing one function at a time, it is easy to keep track of the process. When using a progressive press, there are multiple operations happening simultaneously. It is VERY intensive work to watch to make sure the primers are feeding correctly, powder flowing properly, bullet seating right, etc. all at the same time. Besides, there are some operations that cannot be performed on a progressive, at least, not easily. So, I suggest a single-stage.

Brands of dies: Lee sells their die sets with the necessary shell holder included. Everyone else sells their die sets without, which means you have to buy the shell holder separately. (There is good reason for this. The other die makers are not being cheap. Lee assumes you will need the holder. The others assume you may already have one. They are not that expensive anyway.) Lee dies come in a round plastic container which holds them upright and conveniently. The others have rectangular boxes. They take up less space in my footlocker that way.

In addition to the sticky thread at the top of this forum
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=230171
or this one in another forum
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
http://www.rcbs.com/guide/stepbystep.aspx
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543
on the second page of the thread is a picture of a nice reloading bench
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...r=asc&start=15
That;s a Rockchucker on the right and a Dillon on the left. For some reason, loading equipment manufacturers are color-coded. Lee is Red, RCBS presses are always Green. Dillons are all the same shade of blue and so forth. Some loaders talking about equipment don't even refer to them by name, just by color.

I prefer manual calipers/micrometers/scales to electronic ones. Maybe just because I am 1) cheap 2) understand how they work and can easily tell when they don't. Electronics are subject to "magic" forces and I don't trust'em. So maybe 3) I'm old.

Another personal preference is that I don't use a powder dispenser (powder thrower/powder measure) of any kind. I use the $10 set of Lee powder scoops (or dippers). They are slower than a powder thrower, but LOTS less expenseive and I find them supremely accurate. On my progressive presses I, of necessity, use a powder thrower. I don't consider a kit that lacks a powder thrower to be a at a disadvantage. You can always add one later and the scoops are dirt cheap (and never go out of adjustment).

I don't have a permanent bench. I just use a folding workbench (like the Black & Decker) and almost all my gear fits in a footlocker (One single stage RockChucker compound leverage press and two progressive Lee presses, the boards to mount them on, my scale and other peripherals)

One piece of general wisdom which you may already know. You never regret getting the best. You regret having lower quality than you need every time you use it. That goes for tools, cars, all sorts of things. Live teaches you that. I imagine your husband will learn (if he does not knnow it already) that this homily applies to wives as well. He is a lucky man.

Good luck and I hope you will join your husband in the shooting sports. As a fan(atic), I, of course, believe everyone would enjoy it.

Oh, and I saved the best for last. A GOOD SET OF EYE PROTECTING GLASSES just for loading. I have never set off a primer while loading (over 30 years now) but I wear them. No unpleasant surprises.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 2, 2009 at 03:45 AM. Reason: talk about color coding
Old December 2, 2009, 08:17 AM   #22
rdmallory

Lee Classic Turret press

Lee Classic Turret press

And load it like a single stage.If you are loading more then one caliber you can set up your dies once and then just swap out the disc.

Doug
Old December 2, 2009, 05:35 PM   #23
LilLady

Thanks Y'all!

My gosh thank yall so much for all this help! To answer about the calibers, I think I'm gonna start him off with .30-06 because it's the most expensive rifle round he's shooting. And then he's gonna get the .223 so he can do my deer rounds for me for next season. And then he'll probably branch out, get the dies etc for the 7.62x39 and 44 mag and whatever else. I can't even keep track anymore!!!

Thank yall so much for this great advice. It's really narrowing done the choices. And to think I almost didn't post cus I figured no one would answer me!
Old December 2, 2009, 06:10 PM   #24
amamnn

I did not read all the replies. If someone has already said this then ---nevermind. I have just one word-ok two words of advice--you cannot fail to get him the right stuff if you heed this--if there is a screw up it will be his screw up-- this is the same advice I would give to anyone who knows zilch about anything their hubby does----ready? ---write this down--you'll thank me later--ok here it is--------gift certificate.......where? Try these guys first.

1. Graf and sons--free frieght lots of handloading gear
2. Midway...lots of gear
3. Midsouth
4.Natchez

They're all on Goggle....merry and happy and ho ho ho
Old December 2, 2009, 08:02 PM   #25
BigJimP

If he wants it to load a high volume of rounds like .223 for an AR-15 then I would recommend you buy him a "progressive" press - without too many of the accessories .... and let him go from there.

If he is just plinking 20 rounds a month / using it for hunting ammo / long range accuracy - then go with a press like the RCBS Rock Chucker.

Part of the reason I say go to a progressive - is it'll be a great press long term / and it'll be real easy to sell, if he doesn't like it down the road.

For rifles I would go with the Dillon 650 press. The press is $ 530 and should be the same from Dillon direct or a local retailer. It will not come with dies, or most of the other stuff he will need - but let him have some fun picking that stuff out. If $ 530 isn't in your budget / then go with the Dillon 550 for $ 407. It has one less major feature / the "powder check" option. It can't be added later to the 550 / and while I think its a pretty big deal - he can do a lot of good loads with the 550 as well.

The 650 has the tool head in it to allow for the "powder check" die / and he can add the "case feeder", etc down the road if he gets into handguns as well - where high volume is the only way to go.

So your answer depends on the volume he will shoot / how many rounds a month .... personally, in handguns, I typically shoot about 1,000 rds a month....and with a progressive press it means I can meet my needs in a couple of hours.