The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 29, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
palmnos

Stand up for your 2A rights - BOYCOTT T.G.I. Fridays!!

I went to a Friday's at Rittenhouse Dr in Midlothain, VA (Outside Richmond) for dinner, as I've done on many occasions. Shortly after being seated I was asked to leave as I was carry an UNconcleaed weapon (VA low prohibits concealed weapons in an establishment that serves alcohol). The manager pointed to the door, which clearly stated "concealed weapons are prohibited".

At this point I asked him for his regional managers’ information. Well, since it was late I waited till today to start shaking things up. I received a call back from an executive at UNITED RESTAURANTS GROUP; his # was 804-747-7102. (His name was possibly William Vaughn (Don't quote me on that)

To some up what he stated (which was very ignorant at best...) is that if people carried guns in to the premesis that there will be a problem eventually if everyone carried. (Evidently we don't have self control or the intellect to know that the use of our handguns is merely a last resort in protecting ourselves).

He was ANTI gun all the way, and very ignorant about them at best. He was very uneducated, and obviously thinks that people who carry guns are quicker to answer problems with their guns than anything else.

I've put a call in to the company which owns the Friday's name, and still haven't received a call, but will keep ya'll posted.

I'M REQUESTING THAT WE PETITION ALL T.G.I. FRIDAYS TILL WE RECEIVE BOTH AN APOLOGY ON THE MATTER FROM MR WILLIAM VAUGHN, AS WELL AS A COMMITMENT BY THEM TO NOT INFRINGE ON OUR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS.

Last edited by palmnos; April 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Housezealot

that makes me wonder about michigan law, are any of the places that are prohibited to CCW carriers also prohibited to open carry? something to look into I guess.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
palmnos

I'm already boycotting it myself, I'm just spreading the word. We all have the capacity to choose what we wish to do. If one establishment after another tramples on our rights, where will we eventualy be able to carry? In the streets?

I'm also in the process as I said with contacting corporate to get this rectified, going above the heads of the franchise. Of course, if the franchise doesn't want to allow guns, I'm sure that's their right. Just should change their signage so I don't waste my time waiting for a table, or even driving over there.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:32 PM   #4
jondar

It'll be easy for me to boycott them as I don't patronize them now, but I'll spread the word.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:33 PM   #5
azredhawk44

TGIF sells alcohol on site for consumption.

Can't carry there anyways, at least in AZ. Not sure about most other states with restaurant/bar carry.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:43 PM   #6
palmnos

VA allows carry, just not concealed in places which serve alcohol. Currently there is some political batteling going on that hopes to bring back allowing concealed to places which serve alcohol.
Old April 29, 2009, 12:48 PM   #7
Housezealot

Quote:
This is the best you can do for a first post? Requesting that WE do something?
I meant something for ME to look into but I really appreciate the support
Old April 29, 2009, 12:54 PM   #8
palmnos

This is what I found for Michigan.

It is unlawful to possess a firearm in a financial institution, church, court, school, hospital, theater, sports arena, restaurant with a liquor or alcohol license or day care center.

Since it states possess, I'd take that as both concealed and unconcealed.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Keltyke

Quote:
If one establishment after another tramples on our rights,
Does he trample on our rights or do we trample on his?

The Constitution is based on personal freedoms - EVERYONE'S, including the store owner who doesn't want guns in his establishment. Our rights stop where his begin.

Now, before anyone takes me wrong - I firmly believe in my right to carry a handgun. However, I also believe in a person having the right to deny me when I'm on their property. It's my say-so what happens on my property, TGIF has the same right.

Boycotting MIGHT have an effect - IF there are enough gun-toters to affect TGIF's profits. I kinda doubt there are.

What WILL have an effect is to lobby your state legislators to change the law.

I do feel for you and understand you not wanting to patronize TGIF. That is your right. Me? I weigh how much I like/need the goods/services a business offers and make my decision based on that. Some places I won't enter. With some businesses I simply take my gun off and leave it in the car - respecting their rights.

BTW - Do you intend to never go to a physician, hospital or other medical agency if you are sick or injured? Can't carry your gun in those places, either.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Housezealot

+1 to keltyke
they have every right to tell us no, just as we have every right to go to a benigans, or ruby tuesdays or what ever else instead. they all seem the same to me, kind of like a lcp and a p3at (oh I think I just made some enemies)
Old April 29, 2009, 02:42 PM   #11
grymster2007

I've always boycotted them.... me likes good food. Besides, this is sunny California... no need for a weapon here... what with all the law-abiding, friendly and peace-lovin' folks.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Don H

Quote:
BTW - Do you intend to never go to a physician, hospital or other medical agency if you are sick or injured? Can't carry your gun in those places, either.
Perhaps where you live but certainly not where I live. Not all states have the same carry restrictions.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:51 PM   #13
luvsasmith

Keltyke is right. Any owner of private property is allowed to say this is what I'll accept on my property and this is what I won't. That owner can use verbal communication or written, whichever they choose. The day that we are no longer allowed to say "Not in my house" to the government, general public or anyone else (besides someone else that can lay equal or greater claim to the property in question) we are all screwed.

Does that mean you should eat there? That is up to you and everyone else to decide.

As for me, I rarely eat out, CCW's don't allow you to carry in an alcohol serving establishment, nor can you OC in an establishment that serves alcohol in this state. So it really doesn't apply to me. I don't like the idea though, FWIW.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:57 PM   #14
grymster2007

Quote:
Keltyke is right.
Yup.... but his position wouldn't be the most popular one on this here freedom loving board. We've had some pretty spirited debate on the subject, including various polls and seems the majority here feel their right to carry trumps the property rights of business owners.

I'm still bruised and battered from some of those discussions.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:12 PM   #15
luvsasmith

Quote:
Yup.... but his position wouldn't be the most popular one on this here freedom loving board.
Some of those "freedom" lovers need to understand one thing: As provided by the same Constitution that they seem to love to throw in anyone's face who disagrees with their choices, your rights cease where another's begin.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:13 PM   #16
rantingredneck

In NC I can't carry there anyway as they serve alcohol, though there's a bill pending to change that law.

That being said, I choose to boycott TGI Fridays based on their crappy food and horrible service (at least at the one I ate at here several years ago.......haven't been back).

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 29, 2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Keltyke

Quote:
I choose to boycott TGI Fridays based on their crappy food and horrible service
Now THAT'S a legitimate boycott! :barf:
Old April 29, 2009, 04:21 PM   #18
Creature

Quote:
Some of those "freedom" lovers need to understand one thing: As provided by the same Constitution that they seem to love to throw in anyone's face who disagrees with their choices, your rights cease where another's begin.
The problem is that TGIF is not willing to guarantee my safety while I am unarmed on their premises. I would gladly disarm at their request if they could guarantee my safety. Until they can do that, I will not disarm. Instead, I will just not patronize their business.

So, who's rights begin where again?
Old April 29, 2009, 04:22 PM   #19
GHF

Different Behavior, Different States

In Florida, it is legal to carry any place that is not a straight bar (i.e. no food sold). If booze is sold in a place, you can imbibe at your dinner table, but can not carry in the part of the place that is set up as a bar.

Saying that, you would be surprised the restrurants in other states (TGI Fridays being one of them) that I eat in down here that give people grief in other states. Maybe it is because we want to lighten the wallets, purses and credit cards of the touristias, or maybe it is because we have had concealed carry here for 20 years, and it is part of the social fabric.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:33 PM   #20
VA9mm

You didn't point out that you weren't carrying concealed, but in the open? If it was concealed he would have never seen it.

A while back in N.VA several patrons were in Champs eating firearms exposed and someone called the police saying they have "Guns". Police came and nothing happened as this is perfectly legal.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:43 PM   #21
Wildalaska

Sometimes I cant decide what makes me feel unsafer...the unlikelihood of some loony tunes bursting into TGIF and playing spray and pray on the patrons because his mommy didnt toilet train him with love, or the unlikelihood of some open carrying Rambo doing tactical rolls across my table as he draws down on some gangsta simply because he saw him reaching in to his waistband.

I think I will stay home

WildlessfatandsodiumthatwayAlaska ™
Old April 29, 2009, 04:51 PM   #22
Creature

I will take my chances with the Tactical Ted squashing my dinner rolls...because it more likely that he is at least attempting to aim his shots.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:52 PM   #23
Keltyke

Good thread, people. This is a very sensitive, passionate, and heartily-argued topic. So far, everyone's being civil. +1 to all of ya!

I believe...that, unless I am violating the law of the land, or a LEO has probable cause and/or a warrant - what I do, or the laws, rights, and privileges I enact and enable within the boundaries of my own property are my right and inviolable. Else where is the advantage of owing property? That's why it's called the "Castle Doctrine". It's my "castle" and I am the king.

All that, and what I've said previously, being argued, I'm in agreement with the OP - If TGIF doesn't want my gun - they don't want my business.

As a side argument - does anyone think all handgun laws should be Federal and the same for all states - no individuality? How I dare suggest taking away some state's rights!
Old April 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #24
Algator

gator789

Were do you think you live in the wild west? If it's concealed why did they ask you to leave Fridays. They shouldn't have seen it. If you hid it it won't bother anyone. Buy a concealable gun and you won't have any problems. I don't use my 357 mag 9inch barrell for that reason.
Just my opinion Thanks
Old April 29, 2009, 04:57 PM   #25
Keltyke

Quote:
If it's concealed why did they ask you to leave Fridays.
OP:
Quote:
I was carry an UNconcleaed weapon
"Bold text" mine.
Closed Thread