The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 26, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
duucfho

Should I carry into convention center?

There is an upcoming event at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, FL. I've got my CCW permit. I've scoured the www.occc.net website using google, and couldn't find any regulations regarding firearms other than the fact that employees and exhibitors can't carry.

I called, and the lady who answered simply stated you can't bring firearms, even if you are legally permitted. But she couldn't direct me to any online documentation about it. So I dunno if she is spewing out of her butt or not. You're average joe would probably say you can't carry into a grocery store or gas station (posted signs notwithstanding)

What should I do? My plan is to carry, and keep an eye out for posted signs at the entrances. If there is a sign, I'll go back to the car. If there isn't, then business as usual. Thoughts?
Old February 26, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

What does Florida's CCW law say about carrying into places like the convention center?
Old February 26, 2009, 10:31 AM   #3
hoytinak

You should....as long as it's legal in your state. I carry in our convention center all the time (unless it's 30.06 posted like the gunshows).
Old February 26, 2009, 10:33 AM   #4
duucfho

I'm scouring the firearms statutes now. Nothing specific to a convention center yet.
Old February 26, 2009, 02:11 PM   #5
Croz

Don't know specifics on the convention center, but from what I understand of Florida law, a sign or notice of no weapons does not carry the force of law. If you do carry and are asked to leave, you have to leave or you could be charged with trespassing.

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the Internet, but that's my understanding.

For Florida laws on CCW, you can't do better than Gutmacher's book on Florida Gun Laws and Regulations.