The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2008, 02:41 PM   #1
mikenbarb

How do you adjust a Lyman Ohaus M5 scale?

I got a Lyman Ohaus M5 scale that came without the pan arm and made one that got me close to the weight but cant figure out how to adjust this dang thing. Can anyone tell me how to adjust this to center the beam? Thanks.
Old July 23, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
mkl

Well, I have a Lyman/Ohaus D-5 scale that is about 40 years old. If it is close to the same (and I suspect it is) the pan arm is weighted with very small lead shot to zero it out when the pan is in place.

The bottom of my pan arm has a very small "cup" in it with a top on the cup that is secured by a small screw. It looks like the "cup" was filled with shot until the scale beam came up to weight zero -- with pan arm, screw, top, lead shot, and pan.

You need to put your pan arm on with the pan and then add lead shot (or something) into the pan until your scale zeros.

Then figure out some way to attach that shot to your pan arm without adding more weight, or compensating for whatever you use to attach the weight with.

FWIW my much newer RCBS 502 scale uses the same "beam zeroing" system and it is made by Ohaus also.
Old July 23, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3
BigJimP

The pan on mine has some lead shot inside it as well.
Old July 23, 2008, 07:58 PM   #4
mikenbarb

I dont have the pan holder and do you know if the assembly is still available? I have the gold pan and the arm hanger on the beam but missing the rest of it. I tried to make one but not going to mess around with something that could make a big boom if it is off calibration.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:43 AM   #5
TEDDY

scale

order the parts.that way you wont kill your self with a half assed scale.
Old July 24, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6
mkl

Quote:
I tried to make one but not going to mess around with something that could make a big boom if it is off calibration.
Ordering what your are missing would be the ideal way if you can find the part.

Lacking that, I'd not be too afraid of making a pan holder weighted so the scale zeros out.

I may be wrong, but I think gravity is the controlling factor on a beam scale zero. Gravity is pretty constant.

You can always check your results using another scale or a bullet of known weight as measured on someone else's scale.
Old July 25, 2008, 01:09 PM   #7
mikenbarb

I ordered a new one. It uses the same as a Redding with the shot in the bottom. Im not going to take a chance and would rather spend the 8 bucks.
Old July 25, 2008, 03:41 PM   #8
mkl

Quote:
I ordered a new one.
Great. Best alternative.

Don't be surprised, however, if you have to add/subtract a little of the shot to get the beam to zero when the scale body is level.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:33 PM   #9
TheNatureBoy

I just purchased the same scale from a fellow reloading friend of mine and per the instructions:

"Obtain a zero-balance by setting both poises at zero and adjusting the leveling screw, located at the left end of the base, until the beam point lines up with the zero graduation on the dial."