The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 8, 2017, 10:21 PM   #1
chasep255

Space between hammer and nipple.

I recently purchased the Armisport 3 band 1853 enfield. The last few times I fired I had a few musket caps not go off. I did not have this issue the first few times I fired the gun. I was looking at how the hammer contacts the nipple and I noticed that there is some space between the hammer and nipple, they do not touch. Is this normal? Should the hammer contact the nipple when it is uncocked?
Old September 9, 2017, 07:15 AM   #2
noelf2

How much space? Can you push the hammer and force contact? If not, you have a short nipple cone. I saw a Euroarms Springfield rifle with a similar problem last weekend. Was a weak mainspring. I believe the hammer face should contact the nipple sans cap. Have you taken the lock off to have a look?
Old September 9, 2017, 07:27 AM   #3
chasep255

I did take the lock off. It looks to me like the hammer is going as far forward as possible given that the tumbler is getting stoped by the lock. I can not push it into contact. Also I thought it might be the nipple but I have a replacement nipple and it appeared to be the same length.
Old September 9, 2017, 01:44 PM   #4
Hawg

It should just barely touch the nipple. You don't want it striking with full force or the nipple will get battered.
Old September 9, 2017, 04:20 PM   #5
Col. Mosby

If the musket fired the first few times as it should and you have not changed anything, in theory the musket should still snap caps, unless you may have a bad batch of caps. Depending on the brand that is not unheard of. Buy another can of caps and see if you have the same problem. If you do, a new mainspring may be in order.

Just a thought.
Old September 10, 2017, 11:51 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think I would replace the nipple and fit it carefully so the hammer stops just short of contact (thickness of a piece of paper) when no cap is in place, giving the best combination of reliability without battering the nipple.

Jim

Tags
enfield , hammer , misfire , nipple