The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2014, 11:09 PM   #1
Smith and Wesson

Browning BPS

What are your thoughts on the Browning BPS? I bought one earlier at Bass Pro Shops today and I am going to pick it up this weekend, so I was wondering your thoughts on them?
Old March 31, 2014, 12:07 AM   #2
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
What are your thoughts on the Browning BPS? I bought one earlier at Bass Pro Shops today and I am going to pick it up this weekend, so I was wondering your thoughts on them?
I feel that they are the best mass produced pump shotgun made today.. I have several and they have been flawless!! I can't say that about the Wingmasters I purchased that were built since 2006..

I just shot a 25 straight on the skeet field with mine...
Old March 31, 2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Virginian

I feel the BPS is as well designed and built as any pump anywhere. I had three that never missed a beat. However, I could never warm up to having to load it from the bottom and cycle thru the action for a fast fourth shot. Also, although they measure the same, the reach to the fore end felt longer, and they are definitely not lightweights. I greatly prefer the ergonomics of a Remington, and I have yet to see a bad Wingmaster.
Old March 31, 2014, 06:28 AM   #4
bob the dinosaur

The BPS shotguns are excellent.
I own three pumps in .410.
All three are quality guns.
My order of preference has Winchester Model 42 in first place,
followed by Browning BPS and lastly Remington Wingmaster.
I'm okay with the BPS bottom feed and love the bottom eject.
The BPS has choke tubes too. A small plus.
I also prefer the top safety as opposed to the crossbolt on
the trigger guard.
The Model 42 is just so smooth...
Old March 31, 2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Devdev08

Funny I was just about to make a thread on the bps vs the 870. I can't decide.
Old March 31, 2014, 09:11 AM   #6
Wyosmith

I have to agree that the BPS is excellent.

In fact, of the pump shotguns that I have had come into the various shops I have done gunsmithing for, in 3 states, in 41 years, there are only two I can think of off the top of my head that I have NEVER had to do a mechanical repair to.
#1 is the Ithaca 37
#2 is the Browning BPS.

Refinishing wood and metal are not counted here. I am talking about problems involving the actions malfunctioning.

I have fixed a few old Mossburgs, a lot of Remingtons, a few Winchesters M-12s and M1200/1300s, a lot of Stevens, Weatherbys, S&Ws, and imports from Brazil, Turkey and China.

But never a BPS.

That fact alone is pretty good proof that the BPS is a good gun. I am like the old “Maytag repairman” when it comes to fixing M37s and BPS shotguns.

I’d stave to death if I had to make a living fixing them.
Ask other full-time gunsmiths.
Maybe one of them has fixed one. I never have met one however, at least not yet.
Old March 31, 2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Pahoo

BPSs, are under-rated

Remington makes a cheap version of the WingMaster, called the Express. Now they have the 788. Browning makes the BPS and it has always been an excellent and under-rated pump. ....

If I had to make a choice at this time, I would go with the WingMaster but only because they are lighter to carry than the BPS. ....
As for the 37, I use to have an older one that I have kicked myself in the back-side for ever selling. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 1, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old March 31, 2014, 02:55 PM   #8
jaguarxk120

Pahoo you gotta find yourself a Model 37 in 20 gauge, there are very few guns like a Ithaca in 20. Look for a late 40's or 50's model. You can't believe how well they cycle and shoot.
Old March 31, 2014, 02:56 PM   #9
BigJimP

The BPS is a solid gun ...and its my pump gun of choice in both 12ga and 20ga....and I have the Hunter models with 28" barrel.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1236031619

I bought mine new in about 1980 ....and I shot them for a long time in Trap ...and they survived thru 2 boys...and now a few grandkids.

BPS models are very strong guns...very smooth actions, I like the bottom ejection and they are cast neutral so they are good for lefties and right handed shooters, safety on top tang makes them easy to operate with gloves on....just good solid guns for the money.

They are not my primary target guns anymore ...( Browning Citori O/U's are my primary guns )...but I still shoot them once in a while just for the heck of it....and I expect them to be passed down in the family for at least 2 or 3 more generations. I'm pretty close to entrusting them to my oldest son ....and his 2 kids, that are 11 and 13...( maybe at Xmas -- we'll see )...
Old March 31, 2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Pahoo

Oh, I've been looking

Quote:
Pahoo you gotta find yourself a Model 37 in 20 gauge,
Oh, don't think I haven't tried. As I said, I had one in a 12ga. chamber. my thought back then, was to get a 20ga. and still looking. Last summer I went to an auction and there was a 20, in not too good of condition. The bugger went for just over $300.00. I'll find one, sooner or later.. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old April 1, 2014, 08:45 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

Pahoo the last 20 I bought was October of last year. I found it a Williams Gun Sight Co., It was $275, it was re-blued once. And right now I'm redoing the stocks with a oil finish, the metal will be sent out for re-bluing. By the way it is a 1939 gun.
Old April 12, 2014, 04:23 PM   #12
dgludwig

I have a BPS that is my primary waterfowl gun: very reliable and ergonomically almost perfect for a pump gun. A little on the heavy side for much upland bird hunting.
Old April 12, 2014, 05:31 PM   #13
jaguarxk120

For waterfowl, yes the BPS, for anything else the Model 37. There are few shotguns that handle as well as a Model 37.

Picked up a 1941 Model 37 in 16 gauge (the Ideal gauge) and it weighs one ounce more than my 20 gauge.