The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 7, 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
xplosion

open carry in voting booth on school property.

A very interesting story from Grand Rapids Michigan. Not something I would want to try. seems to me it is like asking for attention. It is nice to have the option here in Michigan. Fortunately the Michigan State Police know the law. http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...n-voting-booth
Old March 7, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
thegunwire

If I'm not mistaken, he was in the hot seat for a bit while the prosecutor checked the law to see if it had been broken. I recall a headline or two suggesting that going onto the school property with the gun was illegal. Since then, I've seen several stories informing the public that it is legal to carry a gun on Michigan public school campuses, so long as it is openly carried.

I'm not sure of the validity of that, so look into it before trying it tomorrow.

- thegunwire
Old March 8, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Sefner

In MI it is legal to openly carry on school grounds as long as the carrier has a conceal pistol license. In MI schools you cannot carry concealed onto school grounds. You cannot open carry onto a school if you do not have a concealed pistol license. I know that sounds ridiculous but that's how the law is written.
Old March 8, 2012, 01:01 PM   #4
oneounceload

Interesting - here in FL it is illegal to have a weapon in a polling station no matter where it is located
Old March 8, 2012, 01:06 PM   #5
Don H

Perfectly legal here to open carry or conceal carry in a polling place on school grounds while the school is in session as long as the carrier has a Utah CFP. The federal Gun-Free School Zone Act requires the carrier to have a permit issued by the state the school is located in and the permit must meet certain requirements:
Quote:
18 USC 922(q)(2)(A)It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B)Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i)on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii)if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii)that is—
(I)not loaded; and

(II)in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv)by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v)by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi)by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii)that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

(3)
(A)Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone.

(B)Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—
(i)on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii)as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

(iii)by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

(iv)by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.

(4)Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.
Old March 9, 2012, 11:15 PM   #6
RamItOne

Sefner makes perfect sense from a state that has three different types of collision insurance for your car.

Oneounceload- and in Fl we can't carry on school grounds. So he'd be really up a creek here.