The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2001, 02:13 PM   #1
Sisco

I just started loading for the Hornet, the only rifle round I load for. I made up a few rounds with the bullets seated to 1.723" as listed in the load book. After reading some tips on accuracy I want to load with the bullet tip just short of the lands so I barely seated a bullet in the brass and closed the chamber on it. This round measures 1.865". Should I now go a thousandth or two deeper? Rifle is a H&R model 157, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
Old January 14, 2001, 06:16 PM   #2
MADISON

Hornet Seating

I loaaded for what was called the "H & R Topper back in the '70s. I have had a 21 inch Contender Carbine and now have a Ruger 77/22-Hornet. All have shot very well.

The Hornet is famous for "fliers". Years ago I started at 11.5 grains of IMR 4227 but, quickly DOWNLOADED to 7.3 grains. It's about 1/2 speed but, gives nickel size groups at 150 yards

I would shoot what you have and then consider changing the seating depth. I load a 55 grain SP bullet in the magazine of the 77/22-H. The magazine size requires me to seat substancially deeper than the canalure.

If your rifle is a "break-open" [shotgun style] gun, be sure to have a good RANGE ROD handy. When you barely seat the bullet and close the action, there is a chance the bullet may stay in the barrel.

MADISON
Old January 14, 2001, 07:42 PM   #3
Sisco

It is a break open style. Closing the action seated the bullet pretty good, I'm not worried about it coming out, just wonder if it should be seated a little deeper. Does the bullet need a little "jump" space to avoid pressure increase? I'm using a 45gr over 9.7 gr. of H110.
Old January 14, 2001, 11:30 PM   #4
RiverRider

SK, try a few rounds at various seating depths. Start right up on the lands (barely), and try various distances short of the lands. I always try .000" (just kissing) from the lands, .005", .010", .015", and etc. from the lands.

I once ran an experiment on seating depth. I tried distances just as I have described, but kept going until I had tried every .005" increment all the way out to .060". I graphed group size against seating depth, and what I saw was a sinusoidal solution. There are several sweet spots, and there are the "sour spots" in between them. That's good, especially when a great load turns out to be too long for your magazine.

With a cartridge as small as the Hornet, I would probably resort to .003" increments.

Though I do not reload for the Hornet,I have known Hornet relaoders, and powder selection seems to be critical. One very close acquaintence claims that W680 was the best powder, but it has been discontinued (figures, don't it?). I believe that AA1680 is supposed to be a fairly close replacement for W680.

Good luck!

-RR-
Old January 15, 2001, 12:32 PM   #5
Tom Matiska

First make sure your bullet seclection is right. I dunno about the H&R 157, but some of the earlier Hornets like the Savage 23 used a slightly smaller bore standard. Hornady, Speer and Sierra offer .222 and .223 bullets for older Hornets. Modern offerings use the same .224 bullets as other 22's do.

Many older Hornets also used a 1-16" twist that did'nt always work with boatails or bullets heavier than 45grs.

Tom