The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2010, 01:45 AM   #1
therealdeal

smallest mousegun(within reason) for purchase

is the seecamp the mousegun of choice for reliability?? is there a smaller mousegun semi we can buy?? would really appreciate any info- I deal with mostly revolvers but want a mousegun for my wife(just an excuse to buy it- it will be mine too). I heard the seecamp comes in a .380 too. its the same size right? I don't mind the extra kick to it if there is one. I am leaning towards a seecamp but this reason is mainly because I have little knowledge of the mouseguns

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 9, 2010, 01:46 AM   #2
therealdeal

Thank You for your advice in advance. Happy Holiday Season

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 9, 2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Trigger Finger

Smallest Mousegun says allot. I have a 25 acp Beretta model 950 thats extremely small and reliable but lacks power. I use it as a back up to my model 27 Glock. Sometimes my wife does carry the 25 when she doesn't want to carry her 38 spl. I guess "within reason" means adequate power, in that case I would go with my Beretta Tomcat, 32acp. And IMO it's barely adequate! The 380 has more recoil but is a fair amount more powerful!
Old November 9, 2010, 02:07 AM   #4
FreakGasolineFight

Quote:
is the seecamp the mousegun of choice for reliability??
One of them, sure. Kel-Tec and NAA are just as good. I'm sure there are more that are slipping my mind as well.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:10 AM   #5
bigghoss

I have a Ruger LCP. small, inexpensive, reliable. anybody got a link to the chart that compares all the different mouseguns? that would come in handy right about now.
Old November 9, 2010, 02:13 AM   #6
FreakGasolineFight

The LCP, that's the one I forgot.

Here's the chart.

http://www.ilovemunich.net/PocketAutoComparison.jpg
Old November 9, 2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Bill DeShivs

None of them are as small as the Seecamp. I prefer the .32 model over the380.
Old November 9, 2010, 06:58 AM   #8
PSP

Quote:
is the seecamp the mousegun of choice for reliability??
My .32acp Seecamp has served reliably for over twenty years. Other brands may be as reliable but won't be as small.

Quote:
is there a smaller mousegun semi we can buy??
Not in .380acp. You have to drop down to a .25acp to find a smaller gun such as a Baby Browning or clone.

I doubt your wife will enjoy shooting a .380 Seecamp. It's a handful. The gun is really tiny with only a one finger sized grip, (maybe a finger and a half). But, if small is the goal, then the Seecamp is it.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:23 AM   #9
darkgael

Mice?

Baby Browning - this one is a Bernardelli (Yes, I know my finger is on the trigger. I made sure that the gun was safe before taking the pic.)
Old November 9, 2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Jimmy10mm

Small is a relative quantity and you mentioned you're also buying it for your own use. The Kahr P380 is small IMO and a wonderful mouse gun.
Old November 9, 2010, 12:43 PM   #11
therealdeal

guys I cant tell you how much this thread is helping me so thank you. I am considering the seecamp .380 for the reason BILL and PSP eluded to: the seecamp is the smallest of many mentioned and the smallest without dropping calibers. I have been told these are belly guns and not for long distances which is fine. I am a hardhead, so I would go with the .380 since the .380 seecamp is the same size as the seecamp .32(Please correct me if I am wrong about that but I believe they are the same size).

thanx for the chart bigghoss&gasoline. I am going to check it out when I get back home. ps-bigghoss, I guess you're not the same hoss on pawn stars right? lol. I watch that one all the time

Old November 9, 2010, 01:21 PM   #12
Hairbag

If you have $1300 to spare a Rohrbaugh R9
Old November 9, 2010, 02:31 PM   #13
AK103K

Ive had a couple of the Seecamp LWS32's for a number of years now, and have yet to find anything comparable to them. Dont know that I would want (or need) one in .380 though. I really dont think there is that much difference between the two calibers power wise, and especially with the size of the guns, to warrant bothering with the .380 version, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I also have a Baby Browning, an LCP, and have had Keltec .32's, as well as Colt .25's, and Beretta's, and a few others, and nothing has ever come close to the Seecamps.
Old November 9, 2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Wildalaska

Quote:
None of them are as small as the Seecamp. I prefer the .32 model over the380.
Me too. I find the .380 to be unshootable, and I need to dump a few mags at least 4x per year and dont like the pain

With Good Alaska Greetings

WildouchieAlaska ™©2002-2010
Old November 9, 2010, 04:18 PM   #15
roman3

A friend of mine carried a Bauer (an excellent copy of the Baby Browning) in 25 cal, it was quite small.

I had, back in the day of few choices among mouse guns, one of the NAA mini revolvers in 22 magnum, that too was quite small.

A bartender friend carried one of those NAA 22 short pistols that fit in the belt buckle rig.

Today I carry a ruger LCP when something bigger is not practical or possible.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:07 PM   #16
NYPD13

Would you consider the Colt New Agent a mouse gun?
Old November 9, 2010, 05:12 PM   #17
NWCP

If you're looking for the smallest functional mouse gun you'd be hard pressed to beat the .25ACP Baby Browning. Any smaller and you'd be holing a cartridge in your bare hand. Aside from the anemic cartridge it is a well made little pocket pistol.
Old November 9, 2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Not a semiauto but my NAA 22S is the small thing. 5 shots of 22S! Can't hit accurately very far but so cute.

I do like my NAA 22 Mag with the 1 5/8 barrel.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:24 PM   #19
ET.

The smallest I wanted to go was the TCP from Taurus. It fits in my front pocket and doesn't get in my way. I would rather carry a 9mm mouse gun, but there isn't one small enough for me. I guess I'll have to stick with my .380acp
Old November 9, 2010, 07:34 PM   #20
Squibb

Holy cheese dip NYPD, a .45 mouse gun? I'd probably draw the line about a pound smaller.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:35 PM   #21
orionengnr

Quote:
Dont know that I would want (or need) one in .380 though. I really dont think there is that much difference between the two calibers power wise,
Fire them back to back (or as I did, a Kel-Tec P32 and a P3AT), and then go back and re-read Newton's Third Law.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

The difference in recoil from very similar size-and-weight pistols should illustrate the power of each very succintly.

After I shot the P32 and the P3AT, I swore off the .32 caliber. I know there are people who carry and rely on them, and I know that "anything is better than nothing", but IMHO, not much better.

Is she is seriously recoil sensitive, the .32 is a good option (see "better than nothing" above.)

Again, JMHO.
Old November 9, 2010, 07:46 PM   #22
AK103K

From what I remember reading around over the years, the difference in actual performance between the two is minimal. Neither are all that great, so why not pick the one that offers better shootability and hit probability. A good hit with a slightly less powerful round, is always better than a poor hit with a slightly more powerful one.
Old November 9, 2010, 08:45 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

The Seecamp is very close to the Baby Browning in size.
Old November 9, 2010, 09:06 PM   #24
shooter1911

I carried an LWS 32 for a lot of years, and occasionally will carry it when I can't possibly carry anything else which is rare. These days I pocket carry my 340PD on a regular basis when I'm not carrying a 1911. I bought the LWS 380, and quickly sold it as it was so painful to shoot that I had no confidence in my ability with this gun. As others have said I don't believe the .380, with its one inch barrel, is any more effective than the .32 at very close and personal range. Seecamps are very well made reliable guns and will serve you well if you are confident carrying a very small caliber.
Old November 9, 2010, 09:28 PM   #25
ritepath

I love my little LCP it's easy to carry, and easier to shoot.

Tags
firearm , gun , mouse gun , semi auto , weapon