The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 11, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
CaptainCrossman

BEWARE the nickel-plated brass-framed guns

there's a lot of guns being sold new and used as "nickel frames"- take a magnet and test the barrel, cylinder, and frame- typically the barrel and cylinder are nickel plated steel

the frame is nickel plated brass, they are cheap brass framed guns that have been plated

I just looked a used Pietta 1861 Navy today for $200 and passed on it, tested it with a magnetic decal off a kitchen refrigerator- the frame was nickel plated brass- magnet would not stick. Magnet stuck to barrel and cylinder. And of course, magnet didn't stick to the grip straps, they're also nickel plated brass.

what a joke...
Old April 11, 2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Raider2000

Most modern Nickel Plated C&B revolvers are jusr brass framed pieces just nickeled.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:27 PM   #3
CaptainCrossman

this guy was bummed out, he paid a lot of money for this gun new at Cabela's, at the "top of the market" before they dropped the prices, he thought it was nickel plated steel, he never hit it with a magnet

it's a $100 gun with a plating on it- you just can't trust anyone, not even large outlets anymore. Pietta should be ashamed of themselves- I have the Traditions catalog, w/entire Pietta line- it shows that gun as "nickel frame"

it doesn't say nickel plated, but it calls the others "brass" or "steel"

that's just plain deceiving

my Lord, what kind of crap are they going to ship over to us next...
Old April 11, 2009, 09:05 PM   #4
Hawg

There are no new 100 dollar guns. Even the brass framed .44's I despise so much are 150 or so and you still have to pay for the plating if you get it in nickel. Personally I have no problem with brass frame .36's. They'll hold up just as well as a steel frame model.

Quote:
Pietta should be ashamed of themselves- I have the Traditions catalog, w/entire Pietta line- it shows that gun as "nickel frame"

it doesn't say nickel plated, but it calls the others "brass" or "steel"

that's just plain deceiving
That's Traditions advertising not Pietta's. Put the fault where it belongs.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
madcratebuilder

There are both nickle plated brass frame and nickle plated steel frame revolvers. I have more nickle plated steel than nickle plated brass. Nothing wrong with a brass frame as long as you know the limitations.

There are also brass frame originals.

If an advertisement does not state steel frame you better assume it's brass, or ask.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
If an advertisement does not state steel frame you better assume it's brass, or ask.
Same with stainless steel. If it doesn't say stainless it's polished carbon steel.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:42 PM   #7
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Same with stainless steel. If it doesn't say stainless it's polished carbon steel.
Yes sir! The retailers don't lie in there ads, they just omit some information.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:30 PM   #8
arcticap

They state "nickel" insteaded of "nickeled" or "nickel finish".
The muzzle loaders with nickeled barrels often get referred to by independent sellers as being "stainless" instead of using the term "stainless finish".
It's a racket involving the loose use of advertising terms that has become much too common, so it's considered acceptable as if everyone is supposed to already know.
Those flashy nickeled Pietta Colts are expensive enough to lead folks to believe that they might actually have steel frames though.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Smokin_Gun

Naawww! Who'd want one a them...nope I'd want two of um. Just sold um a week ago. I like the hell out ogf um, and I don't mind a brass framed Rev at all...I've shot the hell out a some Brassers and last ifin ya know what yer a doin'...
Maybe the last time I post this one...
Two of the "Silver Eagle" collection... :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old April 18, 2009, 10:08 AM   #10
CaptainCrossman

HAWKHAGGEN: looks like you may be right, Midway USA dumped what was left for $109 each and didn't restock

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=622732
Old April 18, 2009, 02:43 PM   #11
CaptainCrossman

hmmm....now this is interesting, reading customer reviews which were mostly good, there is one really bad one- and Midway won't accept returns on discontinued items, this being one of them.

Attention!
Discontinued product is not returnable to MidwayUSA. If defective, please contact the manufacturer.

William Kalichman of Sonora, CA
Date posted: 12/24/2004
It looked like a great deal, and it was nicely made, but it shot very poorly. No matter what combination of caps and nipples I used I could not get it to fire on the first strike more than 50% of the time. Not very accurate at 20 or 30 grains of fffg. I sent it back, and Midway gave me a refund. This unit is made by Pietta. I was not happy with the unit, but I was happy with Midway. Not recommended.
Old April 18, 2009, 03:11 PM   #12
madcratebuilder

Quote:
hmmm....now this is interesting, reading customer reviews which were mostly good, there is one really bad one- and Midway won't accept returns on discontinued items, this being one of them.
Your point is?

That five out of six thought it was an excellent revolver, or one didn't figure it out.
Old April 18, 2009, 10:51 PM   #13
gmatov

I don't understand the vendetta against Brassies, either. The South managed to continue a War with brass copies of Northern steel framed revolvers under dire conditions. Home owners donated their brass and copper household furnishings to their War effort.

Brass is not as weak as our fearless Captain seems to think it is. See here:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/steelguide.cfm
http://www.onlinemetals.com/brassguide.cfm
http://www.onlinemetals.com/bronzeguide.cfm

Some brasse are weaker than some steels. Some steels are weaker than some brasses. Some bronzes, and some steels, are weaker than each other.

YOU have NO idea what the makeup is of the metals ANY of these revolvers are made of, UNLESS you have access to a spectrographic analyzer.

You condemn them all, out of hand, and use 1 out of 6 negative reviews to cement that "brassies" are junk. The other 5 love their 109 buck revolvers.

I have one 51, .36 brassie, one 60, .44 brassie. Both shoot well, both have a strong root into the frame, no looseness at all, and I expect none.

Funny. Brasser was my first. Bought more. Everything else was steel frame, but not intentionally. Lost the auction, else I'd probably have more.

I'm not bigoted either way. I do not baby my brass framed revolvers.. If they ever DO shoot the arbor loose, I will either make a new, larger one at the root, or scrap it.

A 100 buck revolver does not HAVE to last forever.

700 buck Sig, you might be ****** if it fails. 500 buck Glock. Smith. New Colt. Yeah.

Cheers,

George
Old April 19, 2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Hafoc

I don't think the South made brass-framed revolvers because they were superior, though. They made 'em that way from wartime necessity. If you told them the brass-framed revolvers would shoot themselves to pieces in five or six years, they'd probably have shrugged and said that a five-year lifespan was plenty. And they'd have been right.

I'm sure they would have made steel-framed revolvers if they could. Of course the Union would have made steel-framed revolvers if they could too-- theirs were not steel, but rather iron, I believe. Feel free to correct me on that.

The only nickel-plated brass revolver I considered was a Pietta .31 Remington-pattern pocket gun. I ended up getting the steel version. In that case it was clear something odd was going on since the nickel-plated revolver cost less than the blued one. I'm fairly sure, though, that a brass-framed .31 Remington would hold up just about forever, between its solid framed design and the weakness of the .31 caliber. Let's just say that recoil is not much of a problem with that puppy.
Old April 19, 2009, 09:31 PM   #15
ilbob

This sounds a lot like a HiPoint thread.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old April 22, 2009, 12:12 AM   #16
gmatov

Hafoc,

My book says that the cylinders on the CSA revolvers were "twisted iron", whatever that is. Steel was in very short supply 140 plus years ago.
Even those "twisted iron" cylinders proofed with maximum load and a 2 pound wight on the chamber mouths.

Filled to the muzzle, they held, too. Those that burst were recorded.

15 or so years after the Walker was made, which had a habit of bursting the chambers of their cylinders, I think "iron", whether wrought or other, maybe even steel, of a sort, was a bit better.

I have no idea as to how many of the CSA Brassers failed in combat. My book says they underwent as good a proof as was in extent at the time.
Today's copies are generally made of better materials.

I don't think ANYBODY is buying rebar to make cylinders or barrels out of it.

Cheers,

George