The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2005, 11:26 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

How to shoot a rifle with a bipod?

I have a couple of questions regarding shooting with a bipod. When you shoot a rifle with a bipod do you let your cheek rest on the stock? With my .22lr i do but i would think twice before doing it with a big bore even the .243 bit me. When you shoot the big bore rifles with a bipod were do you put your non trigger hand? With my .22lr i just use it to support the back of the stock.
Old December 31, 2005, 03:39 AM   #2
Twycross

I just shoot mine the same way that I would if I was using a rest.
Old January 1, 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
kirbymagnum

I went out today and shot the .243 with a bipod and i shot with one hand supporting the stock and the other to pull the trgger all in all it worked good.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:03 PM   #4
OneInTheChamber

kirby's right; that's the way to go. It can be more accurate, depending on the shooter. Let the bipod do the work.

Chase
Old January 1, 2006, 11:51 PM   #5
kirbymagnum

What is your guy's choice in bipod?

Harris or rockmount preferably Harris.
Old January 2, 2006, 02:57 AM   #6
JJB2

i like my harris bipod real well on my 1022 custom... it's an L model i believe.... it sure helps to get to those groups at 50 yds i can cover with my fingertip.............

LIFE IS SHORT..........
Old January 2, 2006, 10:39 AM   #7
armedtotheteeth

I use the rockmount Bipod ( yeah , Im cheap, but i cant see the dif in it and a Harris) I use sandbags to support the butt of the rifle. Give the bags a little squeeze to change you elevation, Use you left hand to hold pressure on the bag and let the bipod hold up the front. Skeleton butt stocks help with this as you can actually reach through the buttstock to squeeze the bag. But for a woodstock 22, you will have to reach kinda under the front, or over the top. whatever works for you man.
Old January 2, 2006, 10:03 PM   #8
bigbearhunter

Hey Kirby, hows it going?
I like my harris's I use them all the time and even with my 30-378wtby I use my left hand under my right to support the butt.
Old January 3, 2006, 08:16 PM   #9
kirbymagnum

well I'm glade to hear that Harris and rockmount are good brands of bipods. I use both Harris and rockmount they both help in getting tight groups. When zeroing a gun the bipods with sand bags at the end like armedtotheteeth said it works good. And i don't notice any difference in the bipods performance but when you take a close look you can see the Harris has a little better quality.

Do any of you guys notice that your bipods get loose after lots of shooting? When i first got myn it would start getting loose after a couple hundred rounds of the .22lr but i gave it a good tightening. bigbearhunter do you notice your bipod getting loose when shooting a cannon like that because i was wondering if i will have to tighten the Harris on the pee shooter (.243).?
Old January 3, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
armedtotheteeth

My rockmount holds up to my 300 mag just fine, BUt I haven't shot a couple of hundred rounds through it. The mag can be quite punishing though., even with a brake on it. WORD to the wise , DO NOT! shoot a Braked magnum rifle out the back of a tailgate of a truck. I know this because I had to Buy 6 new light bulbs for the tail end of my CHEVY. Could ve spent that $30 on ammo. Had a hard time explaining that one to the State trooper. "No sir , no weapons in the vehicle, just this Black 4 and a half foot rifle"
Old January 8, 2006, 06:34 PM   #11
kirbymagnum

I was out shooting today and my rockmount bipod broke.