The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 21, 2018, 05:28 PM   #1
deadcoyote

New SW 66 and classic 19 questions

In my first kicks of what may be a midlife crisis, I find myself wanting to buy a model 19 4” as that was my first duty gun ever issued. I was pleased a couple years ago when Smith reissued the model 66, but have read some negative interwebs chatter that the gun is redesigned and not for the better.

I live in rural Northern California so it’s easier to order new than try to buy used. I see the model 19 classic is coming out. Looks good, just curious if anybody here has any experience with them and how they stack up to the older guns.

For what it’s worth I’m not too worried about the locks on the new guns. I’ve never activated the lock on my 642 and it’s never been a problem in a few thousand rounds. I’ve thought about having it removed, which you can do apparently, but it doesn’t seem to be worth the money spent.
Old June 21, 2018, 08:25 PM   #2
USCS

I just can’t do the S&Ws with the lock, it just ain’t right! Look around and find an old one. I’ve always thought the triggers were better on the old ones. I too carried a revolver my first couple of years on “the Job”. The new kids look at me like I’m Noah whenever I wax nostalgic about the good old days. Sadly, I wasn’t able to buy my duty revolver when we converted to the plastic fantastic. I had to settle for buying a police trade in 66, they were SO cheap back then I should have bought 5. The first duty handgun will always have a special place in your heart. Take your 19 to the next qualification and show those young whippersnappers how it was done in the old days.
Old June 21, 2018, 09:58 PM   #3
deadcoyote

I am ashamed to admit when we transitioned to glocks I was offered to buy my 19 for $150. I was way too cool for that obviously.....
Old June 21, 2018, 10:11 PM   #4
jrothWA

Thanks, guys for the trade-ins, first revolver is LEO M15-3, got for a good price to use in Bullseye shooting and with handloads for squirrel and rabbit during the snow season.
Old June 22, 2018, 08:04 AM   #5
CajunBass

I just put one of the "new" Model 19's on layaway. I haven't bought a "new" Smith and Wesson in about 40 years, but decided to break the string for a Model 19. I've owned about a half dozen of the older ones, so I've got some experience with them.

The blue is not the same as the old ones. That's not to say it's bad, just different. It does have the (gasp) lock. No surprise there, they've had the lock for 25 years and they ain't going away. I've owned several guns with the lock and none has bothered me a bit. I don't even think they're any uglier than any other pin or screw in the side of the gun. It's just there.

The new guns have a two piece barrel. There is a barrel and an outer shroud. Some seem to think this is an outrage, but when Dan Wesson had the same thing, everyone raved about how the tension on both ends produced superior accuracy. Personally I have no idea who's right, but my Model 69 with the same type barrel seems to work just fine.

The trigger on the new gun is as good or better than most of the older used guns I've owned. Yea, they're MIM parts. Again, they've been around for 25 years and seem to work. If there is any difference, I can't tell it.

I like the grips on the new gun. They're not as fat as the target grips on the older guns, which were too big for my hand, but looked SO good. The newer ones are different, but still attractive, and very comfortable.

I'm looking forward to getting it out in a few weeks.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 24, 2018, 09:32 PM   #6
Eddietruett

I'll throw in my .02 worth. Not sure what kind of hoops you have to jump through in California to get a used one, but if it were possible, that's the route I'd take. You can still find real nice 4" 19's in the $650-750 range and shooters less than that and you would have a "real 19" not a copy. Also the older 19 will appreciate in value and I don't see the classic series doing that. The 2.5" 19's have already started to go crazy. I just saw a 2.5" 19 in 98% with box and tools sell for $1000 at a show last week and there was no real haggling. I've owned several of the new models with the locks and while I'll be the first to admit, it doesn't hurt the action or accuracy any at all, I can't stand the look. Again, it might not be worth the hassle you must go through in California, but if I could make it happen, I'd go for a nice pinned and recessed model 19. You will never be sorry
Old June 25, 2018, 03:32 AM   #7
Ibmikey

Eddietruette, In Texas a Model 19 in very good condition at gun shows is going to be priced more in the $900 to $1100 range, even obviously reblue pistols are being priced at 900 or better. Are they selling? Certainly not to me! My friend did buy a excellent plus Model 66 (not pinned or recessed..no safety) for $550 from a seller who was disposing of personal firearms for whatever reason.
So there are some bargains to be had at a gun show but not normally from the vendors that make every show and post astronomical prices.
Old June 25, 2018, 09:16 AM   #8
deadcoyote

California is an odd duck in a lotta ways with guns, and I don't have to time or energy to run down our whole list of insane restrictions on guns, and it wouldn’t be helpful to you guys or my blood pressure anyway. In a nutshell, there are really severe restrictions on buying used handguns via mail, while private party transfers are pretty much good to go so long as you do it through a shop. As I live very rural, the odds of me encountering a random used 19 in a shop are pretty far fetched, and if I’m gonna drive a far distance I’d have to do it again after my 10 day “cooling off” period ended. So new is easier for me.

What’s crazy is I have more rights than your average citizen in this state due to my employment status, and I’m still essentially boned, as a lot of those bonus “rights” I’m afforded are contingent on my chief signing off on them. And he’s not one to issue a letter for anything. So I am content twiddling my thumbs with the other CA gun owners.

Last edited by deadcoyote; June 25, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old June 26, 2018, 10:01 AM   #9
HighValleyRanch

deadcoyote,
is the new model 19 even on the roster? I checked and I did not see it listed. No model 19's.
The closest I found was the 4" 586 on the roster, but those are even specific to the SKU.

I hear you about the drive twice to pick up. I've done it with a 3.5 hour each way.
I'm up in rural norther ca as well.

There's a couple in the SF south bay area on Calguns:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...light=smith+19
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...light=smith+19
If you are near the Santa Rosa area, give Rinkor Arms a call. They have a good turnover of used consigment guns and you are most likely to find a used one at a decent price there. Their consignment prices seem reasonable.
Also call Imber and Smithers in San Carlos. This is an old fashion gun store with plenty of bay area consignments. I found my 4" ruger secuirty six there.
Old June 27, 2018, 05:34 AM   #10
CajunBass

Yes, it's available. I've got one on layaway that I hope to pickup this weekend.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-19-classic
Old June 27, 2018, 09:24 AM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Yes, it's available. I've got one on layaway that I hope to pickup this weekend.
CajunBass, I didn't ask if the new model 19 classic was available from Smith and Wesson. Here in California, the specific firearm has to be listed on the approved handgun roster, so I asked the OP if he checked to see if it was on the roster before even considering purchasing it. LEO's can purchase off roster guns, but he said his chief would unlikely approve any, so he's stuck with the civilians up S creek.
Old June 27, 2018, 10:24 AM   #12
deadcoyote

I can legally do an off roster purchase without a letter but a lot of vendors still demand them. I am counting on my local shop being able to find a vendor that will sell, like alpha cat armory or somewhere similar.
Old June 27, 2018, 10:30 AM   #13
HighValleyRanch

Cool! Good luck on your quest!
Old June 27, 2018, 02:30 PM   #14
deadcoyote

Best parallel I could make for a “normal” Californian, is think about how many times you’ve found a cool gun that was CA legal and tried to order it and the seller says sorry I don’t wanna risk it and won’t do a CA sale. Now imagine contacting a vendor selling a gun that’s specifically prohibited in CA and trying to explain to them that you’re super cool and it’s ok for you and cite some code sections. Big put off for most folks and I don’t blame em.
Old June 27, 2018, 06:23 PM   #15
dgludwig

Locks, recessed chambers and pinned barrels aside, what I think the reintroduced Model 19 lamentably lacks as opposed to the original is that mile deep "Bright Blue" finish Smith & Wesson used to offer. Nothing wrong with the new S&W revolvers, mind you, but I sure miss the old Smith (and older Colts, for that matter) blue jobs.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:21 AM   #16
rodfac

I'm 72 and like most of us, I bemoan the loss of S&W's beautiful finish, beautifully machined parts, and one piece barrels....that said....I have several of the current crop of Smiths that have worked as well as, and are more accurate than their 'pinned & recessed' predecessors.

A case in point is their M69...mine is the most accurate .44 I own, Rugers and Smiths alike. It carries well with its reduced "L" frame weight, has great DA and SA triggers, and the rubber grips that came with it, (fugly as sin), soak up the substantial recoil of full house Magnum loads. In truth, I no longer even notice the two piece barrel nor the IL. The gun's superb accuracy says it all, and it's reduced weight on my gun belt while working around the farm, makes it a regular choice for all-day carry.

I too have a cpl of J-frames: M637 & M60, both have the cursed lock, and neither has been any trouble. In my experience and that of my fellow shooters here in KY, none of us have had any trouble. It's an internet issue for some, but not us.

Internet bitching about Smith's sell out to the Clintons decades ago, is just that, and I engage in it just like others, but I have not allowed my political feelings to blind me to Smith's ongoing commitment to accuracy and quality in their handgun offerings. They're still producing great revolvers. YMMV Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:29 AM   #17
Real Gun

Quote:
New SW 66 and classic 19 questions

In my first kicks of what may be a midlife crisis, I find myself wanting to buy a model 19 4” as that was my first duty gun ever issued. I was pleased a couple years ago when Smith reissued the model 66, but have read some negative interwebs chatter that the gun is redesigned and not for the better.

I live in rural Northern California so it’s easier to order new than try to buy used. I see the model 19 classic is coming out. Looks good, just curious if anybody here has any experience with them and how they stack up to the older guns.

For what it’s worth I’m not too worried about the locks on the new guns. I’ve never activated the lock on my 642 and it’s never been a problem in a few thousand rounds. I’ve thought about having it removed, which you can do apparently, but it doesn’t seem to be worth the money spent.

Should be okay, unless you use lead bullets. I found the ECM rifling, in more than one gun, will lead badly. I related to your post because I have a pinned and recessed 19-4, nickel plated, which would be about the last gun I would ever part with.
Old June 28, 2018, 07:44 AM   #18
CajunBass

Quote:
CajunBass, I didn't ask if the new model 19 classic was available from Smith and Wesson. Here in California, the specific firearm has to be listed on the approved handgun roster, so I asked the OP if he checked to see if it was on the roster before even considering purchasing it. LEO's can purchase off roster guns, but he said his chief would unlikely approve any, so he's stuck with the civilians up S creek.
Duhhhhh...sorry. Didn't catch the part about California.
Old June 28, 2018, 03:28 PM   #19
highpower3006

There is another option for you poor folks trapped in the Peoples Republic of Commiefornia and that is you can do a single action exemption. The places that do this convert it from a dangerous and deadly double action revolver to a much safer single action. That way they meet the requirements set by your overlords for "safe" guns in Commiefornia. The pieces that are removed are given to you when you pick up the gun.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:28 PM   #20
Eddietruett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
Eddietruette, In Texas a Model 19 in very good condition at gun shows is going to be priced more in the $900 to $1100 range, even obviously reblue pistols are being priced at 900 or better. Are they selling? Certainly not to me! My friend did buy a excellent plus Model 66 (not pinned or recessed..no safety) for $550 from a seller who was disposing of personal firearms for whatever reason.
So there are some bargains to be had at a gun show but not normally from the vendors that make every show and post astronomical prices.
Yes, there are the vendors that make every show and have the same guns time and time again. It does amaze me how values can change per region. Here is SC, a nice Model 66 will sell for $100 more than an equal condition Model 19. Seems everyone wants stainless. I still think the wise investment is to go with the older models. They will always increase in value and the newer models are not going up in value except when the manufacturer raises up their price.
Old July 1, 2018, 04:50 AM   #21
Ibmikey

You are right about regions, here in Texas the blue is more in demand at least they are priced higher than stainless. At my home in Washington the 66 reigns supreme and almost any price placed on one will see a quick transfer. Is it because of the in-climate weather we enjoy? Yes regions do weigh on the price of used firearms.
After carrying and shooting one in my early police years I must say the S&W Model 19/66 is almost perfection in a lightweight handgun.
Old July 1, 2018, 08:05 AM   #22
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
the S&W Model 19/66 is almost perfection in a lightweight handgun
36 ounces is LIGHTWEIGHT?
Old July 1, 2018, 09:26 AM   #23
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
36 ounces is LIGHTWEIGHT?
I guess its a matter of perspective.

You must be a "youngin'"

To us older (or is that ancient? ) boys who grew up carrying GM 1911s, S&W Model 28's, and such, 36oz is "light weight".
Old July 1, 2018, 11:45 AM   #24
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
You must be a "youngin'"
At 72 I'll take that as a compliment!
Old July 1, 2018, 01:46 PM   #25
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
At 72 I'll take that as a compliment!
LOL. So what? You never ate your Wheaties past 60?