The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 15, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Ruger LC9

Gunners,

I have only seen photos of the Ruger LC9.

Can it be considered a pocket pistol for the front pocket of blue jeans?

Rmocarsky
Old April 15, 2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Valerko

You have to be a big guy with big pockets in your pants. I'm 6'3" 260lbs and have a hard time. With a right holster it doesn't look like a gun , but you can still see a feel big bulge in your pocket.
Old April 15, 2014, 11:34 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

I'm 6'1", 170lbs, and can't even get it into my pocket without struggling, forget about getting it out.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Dragline45

I don't consider it a pocket gun, heck I don't even consider J frames pocket guns. About the only thing I have ever been able to comfortably pocket carry is my Bodyguard .380. I have an odd body shape though, I am only 5'9 and weigh 215lbs but have a 33" waist. I have always lifted heavy weights and as a result of years of squats I have very large legs which don't allow me to carry large things in my pockets unless I wear pants that are too large for me.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Skans

I have carried my LC9 in a small Desantis holster in the front pocket of some of my "relaxed fit" blue jeans as well as dress slacks. It's a tad bit bigger than my wallet (I have a fat wallet), which I also carry in my front pocket. With the LC9, you will be able to see a bulge in your pocket, but the grip does not stick out. I am 5'10" and weigh just under 200lb.

As for drawing the gun from your pocket - don't expect it to be be fast. Perhaps there are better carry options for the LC9, but pocket carry works for me. I would definitely try it out before you buy one.
Old April 16, 2014, 09:10 AM   #6
SIMP

When I got my LCP years ago, it didn't take long for me to want a 9mm pocket carry. The next logical step was the LC9. I bought one and a Nemisis holster. It didn't take me very long to realize that it wasn't near as easy to pocket carry compared to the LCP. It was just too big for me to pocket carry. Some folks may be able to pull it off, but not me.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:36 AM   #7
MJFlores

I think the LC9 is better suited for inside the waste band with your shirt un-tucked.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Grant D

For me, the LC9 is to large for pocket carry, so I carry it in a Crossbreed mini tuk IWB, and it's little brother the LCP in my hip pocket In a Galco pocket holster.

Of all my pistols (29) if I could only use one for concealed carry, it would be the LC9.
Old April 16, 2014, 04:20 PM   #9
JFern

Ruger LC9 - for the pocket?

I have an LCP that I carry in my pocket. I have an LC9 in a drawer in my office. If you don't mind the extra weight and bulk, and have a large pocket, I guess you could carry it in your pocket.

I have it in my golf shorts pocket right now. I walked around the house to see if my wife noticed. She did not.

I guess if I was not okay with the .380, and insisted on a 9mm, I would pocket carry the LC9 rather than anything else.

By the way, I carry the LCP (with heavy recoil spring) with +P rounds in it. Plenty of power at 288 foot lbs.

Last edited by JFern; April 16, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old April 16, 2014, 05:08 PM   #10
K31Scout

Watch hickok45's youtube on pocket carry; he even gets a Glock 26 in there and draws it pretty quick. I've found Wrangler CARGO (not carpenter) jeans acceptable for my Shield but not any other kind of jeans. They have a big deep front pocket and I'm not talking about the lower cargo pocket. Of course 5.11 pants or Tru Spec work because they are made with pocket carry in mind. I use a DeSantis Super Fly holster works very well.

Nice thing about pocket carry is you can have your hand on your gun without anyone knowing. Try that with an IWB holster.
Old April 17, 2014, 07:40 AM   #11
Skans

Quote:
Nice thing about pocket carry is you can have your hand on your gun without anyone knowing.
Amen!
Old April 19, 2014, 10:01 PM   #12
rrockefe

I use a Mika pocket model that works pretty good for me. I don't wear my jeans tight.
Old April 20, 2014, 08:16 AM   #13
Loronzo

I would agree with most of the above posts. It is defantly possible to pocket carry but I find it a tad too big personally. I have a bodyguard .380 that I wear as a backup and occasionally if I'm lazy or running the dog out I'll throw it in a pocket holster and it disappears. The LC9 IMO is better suited for iwb carry. You can pocket carry it of you are larger framed and wear loose pants with big pockets. It's a weird size, just above being small like a mouse gun, but still too small to get a good solid grip on (I have big hands) but my fiancée has baby hands and she can shoot the tar out of it.

I just pulled the fiancée's LC9 out to give a comparison(sorry for the horrible pic quality) It's a S&W Bodyguard .380, a LC9, and an XD .40 subcompact. For pocket carry I would personally recomend considering a LCP if you are really wanting a Ruger or the Bodyguard .380. I absolutely love mine, it hides extremely well in a pocket or ankle rig, I half forget it's there half the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.3 KB, 30 views)
Old April 20, 2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Lemmon

I am large....not tall but wear suspenders and have easly and often carry a Glock 27, XDS or a S&W 38 J frame in my front right pocket. Without the Suspenders, my pants will fall down. The J frame is the most comfortable of the lot. Being short and fat does have it's advantages. So if you see a short fat guy with a southern accent wearing suspenders....you know it might be me.

Lemmon from rural South Carolina.....
Old April 20, 2014, 01:07 PM   #15
Mike1234

I'm average height (5' 8") but fat (235 lb). I can easily carry a LC9 in my front "loose cut" jeans pocket. If I were 175 lb, as I should be, I'm sure it would print far more. I'm thinking of switching to coveralls... even a midget can easily conceal in the large pockets of coveralls.
Old April 22, 2014, 10:10 PM   #16
Yung.gunr

It is definitely not pocket carry size in jeans. I guess if you wear those goofy jeans from the 90s it could work. But anyway, after a couple years of pocket carry I am getting away from it and would only recommend it on VERY limited basis.
Old August 15, 2014, 09:16 PM   #17
ptbrophy

I just got a LC9-S and I am attempting to locate a small paddle holster for it.Sounds easy,right?
I am looking for a leather holster,tan in a paddle style.Anybody have any suggestions?
Old August 16, 2014, 11:09 AM   #18
Skans

Deleted (already posted on this)