The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 3, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Missoura Don

'51 Navy blueprints

Howdy all....Ive been trying to find downloadable blue prints (even if they are reprints or something) for a '51 Navy, or any other revolver,bp of course, but cant seem to find any info on gettin one...dont really wanna spend a bunch of bucks on one,,but even if I can order one from snailmail..id like to...any suggestions????
Old February 3, 2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Low Key

Try http://www.vtigunparts.com they have exploded views of different BP revolvers. This may not be quite what you are looking for, I'm not sure. I'll bet that mec knows where to find blueprints if this link isn't what you need, or he may already have some himself.
Old February 3, 2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Missoura Don

Hey lowkey, wazzz up...yea...I have several shemeactics drawings...but i was kinda looking for an original,(well,reprint of an original),actual blueprint for the '51 Navy. Found a few sites that sell em, but was kinda hopin someone would know of a site you could just download em for free....Im thinkin about blueprintin one of my navies, and was just wantin a general idea on where to start!!...thanks lowkey
Old February 4, 2006, 04:58 AM   #4
gmatov

Don,

What do you mean by "bluprinting" the Navy? Doing this or that to get an exact dimension here and there, as per the originals?

Like you would try to do with a car engine?

I don't think there is such a thing.

For one thing, there was supposed to be a big fire at the Colt factory that destroyed all their paperwork, prints and the like, in the '60's, 1860's, that is, the entire works were supposed to have been destroyed.

The second is that they did not make parts and just slap them together, and they functioned perfectly. There was a heck of a lot of hand fitting to make a smoothly operating revolver from those parts. Smith, Colt, Ruger, anybody else, making a pistol, even today, assembles, stones and fits parts to make a well functioning firearm.

This is one of the arguments that seems to go on with some of the members of different forums, who makes the best functioning gun out of the box?

Pietta makes a good looking, functional, firearm, Uberti may make a better functioning firearm, Taylor's may even make a better functioning firearm, and the defunct Colt Black Powder Group was supposed to have made the BEST functioning firearm from the Uberti parts. The same parts, more hand labor, better artisans, and a way higher price, to put the same pieces into the same box, with a different name inscribed on it.

Still Uberti produced parts, just put together and fit and finished differently/better. Plus, Colt blueing.. Automatically worth 300 bucks more, at least.

Forget "blueprinting", you won't find them, they won't be fit and finished the way you think they will be.

Cheers,

George

I might have more to say on this, if you want to keep it up.
Old February 4, 2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Missoura Don

Hey gmatov....I saw a site that had a catalogue of blueprints for revolvers, and they had a picture of a '51 navy blueprint on the main page! I been searchin and searchin, but now I cant find it again. They wanted like 29 bucks for the thing though. I know these pieces are pretty much hand fitted and all, but they did need a design to go from the get go. I know Id prolly never be able to make a blueprint...but Id like to have one to just "look over", and maybe even for a blow up for my gun room..
Old February 4, 2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Remington kid

MD , Is this the book you have been looking for? Mikehttp://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...Book%20(BK-70)
Old February 4, 2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Missoura Don

hey Rk...thanks for the try man..but thats not it...This was a magazine of sorts I think, and it wasnt just detailed drawings, or schemeatics, but an actuall blueprint (like the ones you see for houses or such), had the white paper with the light blue drawings, dimensions, etc. Im gonna keep tryin to look for it, cause if I found it once, I can find it again!!!...Thanks for the help RK.
Old February 13, 2006, 06:37 PM   #8
Remington kid

This is the original drawings submitted for the patent on the 1851 Navy.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 14, 2006, 06:44 PM   #9
Missoura Don

Howdy all....hey Rk...yea, i got that drawing myself, thanks..If anyone has back issues of Guns and Ammo. go to the september, 2002 issue, and look at page 65...they have a blueprint for a second generation '51 Navy...thats kinda what im lookin for...thanks for all the help guys...been kinda busy with work lately, and havnt had time to read whats goin on..but im readin it all tonight!!!
Old March 29, 2009, 02:55 PM   #10
tdmoparguy

Can somebody e-mail me a copy of those blueprints. I'm working on a 3d AutoCad Drawoing of a 51 navy in my Manufacturing Class and need some dimensions.
Thank You
Tom Dooley
Old March 29, 2009, 06:38 PM   #11
madcratebuilder

There's a guy selling 51 Navy blue prints on evil bay for 3.95
Full size drawings with all the hole sizes and spacing.
Old March 30, 2009, 12:55 PM   #12
tdmoparguy

I really don't want to buy anything I would just like a copy of the guns and ammo blueprints.