The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 17, 2016, 04:28 PM   #1
Para Bellum

Fiberoptic or Tritium Sights for S&W 629-6 4"

Hi Folks,

in certain light conditions the factory sights on my (great) S&W 629-6 4" are a disadvantage compared to the tritium on my Glock.

Can anybody here recommend certain Fiberoptic or Tritium Sights - front and rear -for my S&W 629-6 4"?

Have a good day,
PB
Old February 17, 2016, 05:35 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I'm not sure what is out there for the 629. I like the Ameriglo pro Idot on my Glock and use an XS Big dot on my S&W 342. It seems that XS makes Big Dots for your revolver but I don't know if Ameriglo does.
Old February 17, 2016, 05:41 PM   #3
mete

In metallic silhouette matches we found the S&W red insert would shoot low by two clicks @ 50 yds when fired in sunlight compared to shade ! It glows so much you have to pull the sight down to see the target ! Fiber optic will be similar. None of my guns have red or fiber optic sights !!!
None of the deer I've taken have complained !!
Old February 17, 2016, 06:34 PM   #4
BigJimP

I would not change the sights on my older S&W revolvers...but on one of my newer revolvers, a Freedom Arms, I do like a green fiber optic front sight....if you have an option for one.

My new S&W performance center 627's ...the 5" came with a gold dot front sight / and the 2 5/8" came with a red ramp front sight.../ both of them are fine as well ---- and even for tactical shooting, I'm not having an issue picking up either one quickly.
Old February 17, 2016, 10:01 PM   #5
hartcreek

What are the specifics that you are trying to deal with? Tritium is good but it will fade. I put tritium on my 624 more the twenty years ago. If what you need is easier target acquisition I can show you how to mount a laser under the grip on you 629. I surprised the range officers last night when they saw my set up and the red dot on the target down the lane.

If you want to know just PM me.
Old February 17, 2016, 10:09 PM   #6
turkeestalker

I wound up purchasing one of the Meprolight Tritium front sights for my SP101 and I'm sold on them.
I do not own any pistols or revolvers with fiber optic sights on them, but have some rifles and shotguns with them, for me they're just a bit too bright in good light. So much so as to obscure the target as mete mentioned.
Old February 18, 2016, 10:40 AM   #7
ScaryWoody

If you are going to use the revolver for self defense go with Tritium. If it's target only go for the Fiber Optic. I have tritium font sights on my SP101 and love it.
Old February 20, 2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Snyper

Tru-Glo is making combination FO/Tritium sights for some guns
Old February 23, 2016, 06:59 PM   #9
John D

I put a Hi-Viz front sight on my GP100 - I'm happy with this. It comes with 3 or 4 different colors so you can find the one you like. I think the red was a little bright and I ended up using the green. Of course, changing the front sight on this Ruger is just a matter of pushing a button.....
Old June 3, 2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Para Bellum

Still haven't found any suitable tritium or fiberoptic sights for my S&W 629. What a shame. It would be a perfect tracking sidearm for stopping wounded boar....
Old June 3, 2018, 05:13 PM   #11
disseminator

Have you considered a optic like a trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta Point?

They are really small and will give you what you seek. I contacted Trijicon to inquire if the RMR could stand up to the recoil of my 460 XVR and they assured me it would.
Old June 7, 2018, 03:00 AM   #12
Big Dave

It really depends on your use. For informal range fun the fiber optic is hard to beat. I can lay down steel plates at 50 yards quickly with fiber optic sights. Dawson Precision makes the best and will custom make whatever height / width you need for a small upcharge. I find the FO draws my eye better to the front sight. For slow fire precision a plain black sight still rules. If you need night sights then you know what to do.
Old June 7, 2018, 07:17 AM   #13
Nanuk

Is you front sight pinned on? if so the options are easy. Having carried pistols with night sights in LE for a couple of decades I am not a huge fan. If it is dark enough for the night sights to be relevant it is to dark ti ID your target.

On my personal Glock I have Dawson Precision sights, FO in the front plain black on the back. I tried FO front and back, trying to line them up fast is like looking at hieroglyphics.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 8, 2018, 01:34 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

The half life of Tritium is 12.3 years. 12 years, 4 months.

Tritium sights do fade as the tritium decays.
Fiber optics are plastic ( a polymer), need at least some area exposed to gather light, and are more fragile.

I don't know exactly how long tritium sights are "good" for. I do know that by 30+ years the ones on a model 66 I inherited were faded green dots in direct light and just barely able to be seen in total darkness.

Drop your gun so the fiber optic hits something hard, it can break. Or be knocked off/out.

You need to decide what will be best for your use, in the long run.

There are advantages and drawbacks to both.