The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2001, 01:40 PM   #1
Bacchus

Which Lee Product?

Hello All.

If you had to recommend a Lee product to a reloading newbie, which would you suggest? Don't want to get the pistol kit, as rifle reloading may be in my future. Don't want to buy a Dillon; it's too pricey right now.

The anniversary kit or the deluxe turret press kit?

Thanks.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:01 PM   #2
CITADELGRAD87

I bought one of the anniversary kits, it works very well.
I've used it to load about 300 rounds, a mix of .308 and .243.

It seems to go very quickly if you do large batches through each stage before moving on, I usually break it up over several evenings.

The only thing I'm even considering changing is I'd like to upgrade to an electronic scale and automatic dispenser, which together cost about 3X what my whole kit cost.

Don't forget to get a GOOD manual, don't skimp in this area.
Old August 14, 2001, 02:29 PM   #3
Steve Smith

How about a higher quality used turret press? You should be able to find some very good used turrets on Ebay for less than $75. I got my Lyman Spar-T for $45.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old August 14, 2001, 03:09 PM   #4
MADISON

LEE PRESS Recommendation[s]

If you are considering a Lee Press, here are my recommendations and openions.

4 Station Territ press.
The territ press is a bit slower than a "progressive" but, fast enough to get you started.
It will do up through 223 Remmington.

Lee Challenger[single station] Press is a good cheap investment to do rifle.
COMMENTS:
Any kit you buy will be usable with any other press you get. The only exception is the Auto-Disk Powder Measure, which may not like selendrical powders like 4350 etc.

Lee priming "sucks" because the primers move over plastic to get to the case.

KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING and LOAD SAFE!
Old August 14, 2001, 06:20 PM   #5
Bogie

If I was setting up my best friend...

The Lee turret press, since you can load "short action" rifle rounds with it. I'd teach him to use it as a "single station" press tho, instead of indexing each round.

The scales are good, as are their powder measures. I'd add a "perfect" powder measure for loading rifle rounds.

As he gets into things, he'll likely get a rockchucker or Redding Boss press.

Most important thing is to buy at least TWO manuals, preferably from a bullet mfgr you plan to use a lot.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 15, 2001, 03:56 PM   #6
ZeusOne

If the potential rifle caliber does not preclude you from using the Deluxe Turret Press, by all means get that. You'll gain the advantage of not having to readjust the dies every time. Extra die plates are cheap allowing multiple calibers. Plus, if you stick a PRO Auto Disk powder measure on there, you can whip out allot of handgun rounds in short order. All for very little green stuff.

There won't be a reason to upgrade to a "better" press of like functionality, as the next logical upgrade would be a true progressive - but only if/when need and/or funding warrant it.
Old August 15, 2001, 09:20 PM   #7
keano44

I got into reloading 5 or 6 years ago with a used Lee Turret Press. I would reccommend it to anyone. Like Bogie said, you can use it like a single stage press, and not index every time. But, unlike a single stage press, you only need to set up the dies once on the turret. (Buy extra turrets, its worth it) Whether you go with the three hole, or the new four hole turret press depends on what you prefer. Do some research, and make a list of what you want to accomplish in the near future, and what you think you may want to do later regarding reloading. This should help you decide what is best for you.

My best advise to you, however, is to read everything you can get hold of about reloading first, and then once you start, go back and re-read these reloading basics often. You will come to understand things that may not be clear at first. Always consult at least two reloading manuals, this way if one seems to be off by a fairly large amount, make sure you understand why before trying the load; it may be a misprint which could be dangerous.

Good luck and reload safe!
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old August 15, 2001, 09:52 PM   #8
Big Bunny

Well, here goes - IMHO I would go for the best second-hand RCBS Rock-Chucker press you can afford -as you will never regret it - even if you upgrade later to a progressive system for pistol cals.
Lee Auto-prime to be used though- [not the awful oily RC arm attachment] does all sizes. Comes with a bottle of RCBS lube too !!

ALSO the Bunny recommends....

A universal loading block(anyones) suits pistol and rifle.
A Lyman chamfer tool (ditto).
Lee carbide dies and shellholder kits.
Redding scales.
Lee powder measure set(little "pipe" scoop type).

Any good reloading book(s), as previously mentioned. But Lyman 47th and Hornady and Sierra are excellent

Do not economise on this last item !!!(I did and I was sorry).

Also look at the LEE Loaders for a compact economical starter on the calible of your choice(s), they take up the space of a paper-back book, but they can produce good ammo and are easy to store/hide and can work anywhere in an emmergency.

The LEE Load-All for shotgun shells also recommended.

Be a careful assembler to the formulae provided, work up slowly to the optimum load ...AND HAVE FUN !!