The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
DaftHazard

Holster Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

Recently I made a thread about concealed carry under light clothing, and based on some of the information that people provided, I've decided on the Walther PPS in 9mm. It has an 8+1 magazine, and it's very slim, yet comfortable in my hand...exactly what I was looking for.

My question to everyone:
What is everyone's favorite IWB holster? I'm trying to stay as low profile as possible (obviously). The smaller, the better. (Links are great)

Thanks!
Old March 3, 2014, 08:22 PM   #2
IAMDEATH

I've been using one of these for months and I haven't felt a more comfortable IWB holster.

http://aliengearholsters.com
Old March 3, 2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Theis Holster IWB Hybrid
http://theisholsters.com/holsters.php
A little lower price than the original maker's model, but every bit as well made. Plus delivery time has been days, not months.
Very happy with the two I have for my Springer XD40 Subcompact, and KHAR CM9. Will be ordering one for my LCR soon.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 3, 2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Kevin_d77

+1 on Theis holsters. I have 3 of them right now and wouldn't hesitate to get another. I also have his leather belt as well. He gives you his cell phone number with any order and guarantees you will be happy with your purchase. He spent about 30 mins on the phone with me regarding a holder for a Sig. He has my business for sure.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:24 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

Alien gear is decent for an affordable holster. If you want something slim as possible, I'm still a fan of the cheapie Uncle Mikes Sidekick IWB. I also like full kydex IWB like Comp-Tac Infidel
Old March 3, 2014, 09:26 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

IWB brands.....

I'm not a big fan of IWB style holsters.
If you want a leather or Kydex type holster see these good websites/firms.
note; call or contact the custom shop first before you spend $$$. Make sure they do what you requested & you know the time involved.

Galco, Milt Sparks, COM Holsters, Ted Blocker, Greg Kramer, Mitch Rosen, HighNoon Holsters, Wright Leather Works, Blade-tech, Alessi, Safariland.
The Wright Leather Works holster is impressive. Kydex or polymer styles can be good for one-handed holstering.
Sticky Holsters; www.stickyholsters.com is good for pocket carry.
Clyde
Old March 3, 2014, 09:32 PM   #7
Sabrewolfe

Personally I don't like the hyprid type holsters (yeah, I'm weird, I know). I much prefer a plain Kydex IWB holster (I use a Galco Triton for my EDC). It's only partially because I don't find hybrids all that comfortable, though.

One of the main reasons I prefer an all Kydex holster is because they are fast and easy to remove. So if I need to stop at the bank or somewhere else I can't have my firearm on me, I can remove the gun WITHOUT taking it out of the holster. Which means no open trigger when I put it in the underseat lockbox. And its just as easy to slip in back on when I get back to the car.

It doesn't hurt that they have a slimmer profile than hybrids, either.

That said, everybody is different, and holster selection is EXTREMELY personal. Almost all of us had to go through at least a couple different types and brands before we found something that worked for our individual needs. Best advise I can give is this: don't cheap out. Quality is king for something you will be wearing day in, day out.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:53 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Hybrids; IWB holsters....

I agree, I'm not sure how or why so many of these IWBs became so popular with brands like Galco, Crosstuck, Crossbreed, etc.
They seem to have a lot of material or larger shapes than needed.
The design & shape of the DeSantis IWB rig(leather) makes sense because it balances the carry weight & aids concealment.
The holster was reportedly R&Ded specifically for the elite FBI/HRT(hostage rescue team). They use custom S-A 1911a1 .45acp models & wanted a IWB holster for covert ops & PSD(personal security details).

CF
Old March 4, 2014, 11:08 AM   #9
RockDTMC

This is what I use and I love it. I can't even feel that I'm wearing it most of the time.

DeSantis Cozy Partner
Old March 4, 2014, 03:10 PM   #10
g527

Sabrewolfe says it all.

Sabrewolfe, your whole post is exactly the way I feel. I have tried 2 hybrid leather & kydex & thought they were too thick & they were the smaller single clip model.

The holster I like best of all is a PJ kydex Iwb that is easy to put on & easier to re holster than any one I have ever tried. They were $55 shipped, but take a while to get. He will also make it for a laser too if you have one on your gun.

I have an R 51 ordered & will get another for that. I have used Fist kydex & with all the heavy stitching he puts in, they scratch even a stainless gun. The PJ has no stitching & has never left a mark on my guns. There are a lot of good kydex holsters on ebay.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Powdersmoke

I have a Ted Blocker DA3 that I absolutely love. It conceals a full size Glock under light summer shirts, is comfortable enough to wear for 12 hours straight, and very secure. It's a top quality holster!
Old March 5, 2014, 07:06 AM   #12
loose_holster_dan

as my signature line says, i recommend the fist 1ak holster.

when you buy a slim gun like a walther pps, why bulk up the rig with a leather holster. you've just added half an inch to the width. fist has a line of molded ultra-thin kydex holsters. you can order any of their leather holsters in kydex by adding a "k" to the end of the part number on the order form.

the 1ak is a minimal holster with a belt clip and a forward cant. i prefer the forward cant because it allows your body to cover more of the weapon. even with a pps, the butt of the grip will stick out the back when you are wearing a tshirt and bend over. having the cant minimizes this.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."