The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 5, 2014, 10:39 PM   #51
Unlicensed Dremel

I think Mr. Taylor knows more about LR rifles than I ever will, so I'll defer to him... I'm just saying that Mr. Demi-God LLC guy seems to know a few things too, so I listen to him carefully as well.

If you're rich and can re-barrel every 6 months to a year, then by all means, get a .26 Nosler, 7mm RUM, or .300 / .338 buttstomper mag. Particularly if you actually *like* recoil - some people do apparently.

If you're dirt poor and will likely never ever be able to re-barrel, yet you still shoot a lot -- and/or you shoot factory ammo only (a very unlikely combination of circumstances, seems to me; the frugal types tend to relaod), the .308 seems like an excellent choice.

But most of us are in between those two extremes, so gaining a little more BC-Vel / 1-2 punch for slightly less bbl life makes more sense, particular when recoil is *less*, not more. Hence the .260 (& similar) appeal.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; March 7, 2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:09 PM   #52
hooligan1

How about the OP's original question? For the sake of having sake, and before anymore of you fellas swell up like bullfrogs, remember theres a member trying to wring good intell on rifle and caliber info.....
Ill be one to tell you fellas that most bullet makers design a .308 caliber bullet that will make clean kills to 500 and then some.
From what I can tell he's wanting to know what we can tell him the best rifle scope and .30 cal. matchup would best suit someone maybe fairly new to the sport of LR shooting and hunting.
I'm looking for a cheap used .308 winchester chambered rifle to work on and shoot 800 yds or farther and if I can hunt game out to reasonable distances with it.
Old March 6, 2014, 05:51 AM   #53
4runnerman

Taylor , Hooligan- You are correct. I punched in Numbers to fast. FPS would be around 1700 or so. My mistake-sorry Checking again it would be 1800 fps and still have 1200 fp energy

Last edited by 4runnerman; March 6, 2014 at 05:58 AM.