The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 03:54 AM   #1
freebird72

Why are GPs so pricey?

I know all gun related items are in demand and are higher in price then they were several months ago. However, of all the guns I have seen Ruger GPs have gone trough the roof. Just a few months ago you could have gotten a new GP for right at $600 out the door, now they are going for $750 and up without fees added.

Why is this? I see new ARs for the same price they were before things went sky high. I had planed on buying a new GP right after Christmas for $550 OTD, now I am unable to find any around me and the ones online are way overpriced.

Will the GPs ever come down? Or should I just save a few extra bucks and buy a Python?
Old May 8, 2013, 06:16 AM   #2
bird_dog

I'm in NY State and, right before the NY SAFE Act was passed, I was shopping for a GP. Not sure where you are, but I assumed our local price increases were because a lot of people (perhaps rightly so) were assuming that, before too long, revolvers would be one of the last legal handguns in NY.

I checked a few local shops and didn't see anything for less than 800 bucks. I didn't buy one.

Not sure if Ruger has upped their MSRP or not, but it might be worth checking out.

Good luck to you.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:28 AM   #3
CDR_Glock

Why are GPs so pricey?

If GPs stay high, the S&W 586 and 686 are better options.

Look at the used market on forums. That's how I found mine.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:09 AM   #4
18DAI

Maybe because they are the only current production revolvers worth buying.

As more people buy the current production S&W's and ship them back to S&W, the GP100 looks very good.