The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 07:07 AM   #1
Vandingo0331

shotgun newbie needing help with an 870

I just got a deal on an 870 with 18" barrel and pistol grip. Though like most men with their cars and guns I just can't leave it the way I got it. My only problem is I'm new to fixing up shotguns, I don't know the good aftermarket stuff or good barrels First off I want a butt stock which I ordered the Sage non folding stock. Now I need a new barrel which I would like to use with slugs as well. I plan to use this for home defense and killing hogs on the property. What's a good barrel in the 18-20 inch range that I can also put a quad rail over. Also any ideas on a good laser for a 12 guage?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Vandingo0331; August 12, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2
PetahW

I think you'd better measure that barrel via dropping a cleaning rod downbore, marking the rod at the muzzle, withdrawing the rod & measuring it to the mark.

Unless you have a Federal license for a SBS (Short Barreled Shotgun) or AOW (Any Other Weapon), AFAIK it's illegal to posess a shotgun with a barrel less then 18" long (measured as above), and with a OAL )Over All Length) of 26" with any folding stocks in the extended position.

If the bbl is indeed 18", I would test it w/slugs, before spending $150-$200 for another bbl.

Old August 12, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Petah, If the gun was originally sold as a PGO gun with 18 inch barrel, he can put as short of barrel as he chooses so long as 26 inch LOA is maintained...

But he cannot put a butt stock (shoulder mounted type) while the gun has the short barrel...

Also a traditional PGO (drop down type) with a short barrel may not maintain the 26 inch LOA requirement... all this matter naught in some nations so a locale is needed...

Brent
Old August 12, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Vandingo0331

Actually the 16" is a typo which for reason I missed during my first edit. I'm replacing the barrel because the one I have has a pretty bad ding on the end (reason for deal) and would need to be cut down about 1/8" and then refinished. I figure replacing the barrel would be easier and cheaper, not to mention following the rules.

So besides regulation tips anyone know a good barrel? Can you get one with a non bead front sight with the fiber optic dot like I had seen on a fellow marines m500? I've searched amd searched online and no
luck
Old August 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
TheKlawMan

I thought the OAL of a gun with a folding stock is measured with the stock collapsed so the gun is in its shortest configuration.
Old August 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Vanding, Mossberg sells some select barrels for the 870... at a lower price I might add... Check their website...

Brent
Old August 12, 2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Vandingo0331

Thanks Brent, i wouldn't have thought to check there ...
Old August 12, 2012, 03:27 PM   #8
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlawMan

I thought the OAL of a gun with a folding stock is measured with the stock collapsed so the gun is in its shortest configuration
Not according to the BATF letter/response I rec'd for clarification, when I built/converted a revolver into a Bicycle Rifle w/folding stock & 16" bbl.

Old August 12, 2012, 04:26 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Not according to the BATF letter/response I rec'd for clarification, when I built/converted a revolver into a Bicycle Rifle w/folding stock & 16" bbl.
I have no ideas how the BATF handled that. You began with a handgun and it may have considered the end product a handgun. I do know that about as many posts claiming that you measure with the stock collapsed as there are posts saying OAL is measured extended. I have not found a clear explanation by ATF but you may be correct. I suggest that OP contact it for a written opinion. Meanwhile, I withdraw my opinion.

I do wonder if, even with the stock collapsed, the guns OAL is 26" or better.

I also remind the OP that he has to comply with state law.

I added by edit that I recall reading something about the need to measure OAL with the stock folded IF THE GUN IS OPERABLE AS CONFIGURED.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 12, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old August 13, 2012, 12:28 AM   #10
TPAW

Is it OK?

Would shooting 00 buck through a rifled 12 ga. barrel do any damage? What kind of patten could I expect?
Old August 13, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Lee Lapin

Won't hurt the barrel except perhaps for a lot of lead deposits depending on the load used.

For shot patterns out of a rifled barrel, expect a very rapidly spreading donut shaped pattern with a hole in the middle....

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 14, 2012, 02:21 AM   #12
Vandingo0331

Ok so I got the Sage collapsable stock, an 18.5" mossberg security barrel with "breacher" break, mesa-tac shot holder and a sling.

Now I'm wondering about some sights. I have a picatinny rail on the reciever. So I know I can get a red dot but what about some iron sights.... Any good ideas? I only have a bead front sight, should I upgrade? What are my options there for mounting on the barrel? Is prefer some tritium at least on the front if possible. Thanks for all the info given so far and for any more

Van
Old August 14, 2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nothing beats a bead for speed, so why not just use that? And with a modicum of practice, most folks are effective with slugs and bead out to 50 yards.

And while I'm on the subject.....

Instead of lasers and such, buy ammo.

Use up.

Repeat.

When the figurative pile of empties reaches your shins, you'll have a better idea of what's needed and what is just bling.

Don't ask how I know....