The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 13, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Anyone Have A Hard To Fit Ear Canal?

I try to double up and use good ear muffs and plugs when I shoot but I have one ear canal that must be odd shaped and the expandable plugs never stay in that side. Even the two audiologists I've gone to over the years cannot take a pressure reading on that side because none of their colored stoppers fit properly. Anyone else have this problem and find a ear plug that fits? Thanks...
Old July 13, 2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

My ear canals aren't the same size. For music, I went with earbuds that came with various-sized tips and used the ones that fit the best in each ear. For shooting, I finally broke down and had a silicone set custom-fitted - wish I'd done it years before.
Old July 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3
jason_iowa

You can get custom ones. Mine go in and up and then in so plugs and earbud headphones don't work for me. Plugs and muffs maybe overkill depending on what you're shooting. They do have more play dough type ones that may work. I prefer muffs anyway because it blocks more of the sound that comes through your skull which is a lot apparently.
Old July 13, 2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Doyle

Yep, my left ear is a bear. It is also the same one that I blew out while snorkeling when I was a teenager so it was always hard to clear while I dove as an adult. Even simple foam earplugs don't want to go in easily.
Old July 13, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
ZEBRARANGER

Peltor Skull Screws, they have a NRR 30 rating. Adjustable fit and they'll conform to an irregular size canal. PM me and I'll send you a couple of pair. They're also available online. This is what they look like.
Old July 14, 2012, 10:53 AM   #6
pturner67

Call these guys up and find out who is local to your area

http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php
Old July 16, 2012, 07:50 PM   #7
mete

years ago I had plugs molded to fit .They just pour silicone rubber into your ear .When it hardens you've got your plugs.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Don P

Have your audiologist make a set for you. Then it has to fit.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:07 PM   #9
g.willikers

The screw in types work real well.
But there's a trick to using the expandable ones.
Roll them between your palms until they are long and skinny, narrower than the ear canal.
Quickly place them in the ear and when they expand they are tight.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Doyle

g.willikers, even that trick doesn't work too well on my left ear. I have to roll it with my left hand then reach around the back of my head with my right hand, grab my ear and pull it back. That usually opens it enough for the plug to go in.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:25 PM   #11
ScottRiqui

Quote:
g.willikers, even that trick doesn't work too well on my left ear. I have to roll it with my left hand then reach around the back of my head with my right hand, grab my ear and pull it back. That usually opens it enough for the plug to go in.
Yeah, that's pretty much how you're supposed to insert those roll-up ear plugs. I've found that if I pull my left ear away from my head and also pull it forward at the same time, it really helps straighten out my ear canal and make it easier to insert the plug.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:40 PM   #12
UtopiaTexasG19

I have tried different squishy types and get even the long ones all the way in but in my left ear they work themselves out in a very short time. Thanks for all the ideas. I am currently looking into implementing some of them to come up with what might work for me even if I eventually have to go to a audiologist and have some personally made to fit my situation. I have lost hearing over the years even with protection and have had 5 operations on my eyes to enable me to see so I am very finicky about both ear and eye protection. Some of us have spent quite a lot on our hobbies so spending a few dollars to protect our sight and hearing should be a priority also.
Old July 18, 2012, 10:46 AM   #13
g.willikers

You guys ain't chewing tobaccy, are you?
Chewing will make the plugs back out.
Speaking of tobacco, cigarette filters seem to work pretty good, too, and they don't fall out very easily.
Only it's harder to find folks to bum cigarettes off of these days.