The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 3, 2011, 04:32 PM   #26
markj

Man I dont even have a sidewalk not a lite pole for someone to bang on....

But if he is off your property and doing this why not dial up 911 and let them come ask the gent a question or two? Why just sit there with "rifle ready"?
Old November 3, 2011, 04:33 PM   #27
briandg

Quote:
So what does this have to do with firearms?
I would have thought that was obvious. Halloween is over, there is someone outside my window playing music on my street sign and reenacting the zombie re-animation scene from some movie or another. There is a gun at the front door.

We've already heard from someone who thinks I should have gone out and chased him off, several people have suggested calling in as a prowler, some have suggested further investigation, some suggested ingoring, and some have kinda pointed out I was nuts for being concerned about it in the first place.

I don't guess any of you are wrong, depending on the particular circumstances.

My decision was to not investigate or confront, but watchful waiting, and taking clear note of any further noises. No, there was not another sound of any sort. No car windows smashing, no screams, nothing. Is this the guy who stole my cell phone and pistol? I don't know. that sort of speculation is kind of pointless, as all he has done now was make a bit of noise.

If he hadn't moved on, I'd have checked through the window. After that, I would have probably just called it in as a prowler, and maybe, possibly, tailed him with a cell phone if he left before the police arrived.

I was curious about the reactions to something weird and out of context with normal. This encounter has left me with unanswered questions.

I am taking good advice away from here, thank you. The idea of mace near the door is at least a good addition to the idea of a gun by the door.
Old November 3, 2011, 04:50 PM   #28
briandg

To clarify totally, I never left my chair, never set down my cup of coffee. My home is secure, and as was pointed out to me, he was not on my property. I had a phone within reach, and neighbors have phones too.

What is there to do? As I see it, I had two choices for responding. First, call the police and tell them that I had a very minor disturbance of my peace.

Second choice was to step outside my home and confront a person who wasn't even legally on my property, but on a public easement, making a little noise.

Lacking any further aggravating circumstances, neither option seemed logical.

I did, however, ask my wife if I should go do something. She told me to shut up and mind my own business, because i was interrupting her music.

One thing I can always count on my wife for, is to express the attitude of a hostile attorney or juror. she is my touchstone of legal immunity. If my wife thinks it's unnecessary to intervene, so would a jury. So, I always listen to her advice and then decide whether or not to ignore it.
Old November 3, 2011, 09:15 PM   #29
Edward429451

Thanks a lot man. Now I have BJ Thomas stuck in my head