The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 16, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1
bjones870

A good combat knife?

I'm looking for a good combat knife. I had a Kabar, and just couldn't bring myself to really love it. I want a fixed blade, between 5-7 inches. I'd like a hard plastic sheath. It'd be my primary knife backed up by my CS Recon 1. Let me know what you like, used, and would recommend. Under $150 if possible.

To be ready, mentally and physically for what ever scenario arises, provides the best sleep at night I've ever gotten.
Old September 16, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
BarryLee

I would recommend either the Bark River Bravo-1 or Gunny. They are available in a variety of handle materials and I think you can get a kydex sheath. I have the Bravo-1 and it is the finest knife I have ever owned and made for hard use.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=465
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 17, 2011, 03:54 AM   #3
Jimro

Scrapyard 511.

http://www.scrapyardknives.com/

Jimro
Old September 17, 2011, 05:20 AM   #4
rayban

Have you looked at the newer KaBar stuff?
https://www.kabar.com/product/produc...itary/Tactical

The knives mentioned on earlier posts are good, but you really should have a fighting guard for obvious reasons.
Old September 17, 2011, 06:04 AM   #5
American Eagle

+1 on the KaBar. I have a vintage one that I keep next to the seat of my car when I am driving, in case someone tries to break into the car and drag me out (it does happen) and I can't get to the gun for some reason. I really like the knife. The quality is superb.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Te Anau

Snag a Glock root saw model.One of the best knives out there,especially for the $$$ you spend.

http://www.botachtactical.com/glockknives.html
Old September 17, 2011, 11:27 AM   #7
bill_munny

S.O.G. Sealpup

I have one of these with the hard sheath. Although the hard sheath is getting tougher to find but I love mine. Use it as my dive knife now

http://sogknives.com/store/pupelite.html
Old September 19, 2011, 11:23 AM   #8
jakeLC

i agree with the sog sealpup, there very nice knives and not to expensive either
Old September 19, 2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Single Six

As a Cold Steel snob, I'd recommend you give them another look. I'm partial to their Recon Tanto, myself. BUT, after you find a CS blade you like, go to www.knifecenter.com to make your actual purchase. They carry the entire CS line, but at prices far below what you'll pay ordering directly from the company.
Old September 19, 2011, 12:06 PM   #10
ChrisJ715

+1 for the cold steel recon tanto, also the srk and the recon scout. They would fit your bill.
Old September 19, 2011, 12:17 PM   #11
kraigwy

Good combat Knife:

Don't know if you've been in combat, but knife fighting went out a long time ago.

I spend some time as an infantryman in the jungles, Yes, knives were handy. I tried several and settled on a good razor sharp pocket knife which was nothing more then the old army camp or boy scout knife. It was great when carrying a M-60, cutting it out of the vines and wait-a-minute bushes. When it (the brush) got thick, it was opened suppended from my LBE with a piece of 550 cord.

The little pocket knife would cut the vines without a lot of wacking needed by a heavy knife.

It was great for slicing the white bread that came out of C-rats, etc.

In addition to the pocket knife, I carried a M-7 bayonet. Didn't take me long to discard the entrenching tool as too heavy. I could dig almost as fast with the bayonet.

The bayonet was also great for probing for mines and booby traps, (now they call them IEDs).

I think if I was to do it again, I'd replace the camp type knife with a good leatherman tool. It would do the same thing but with an added wire cutter. We use to have to use the three prong flash hider on the 'A1s to cut wire off c-rat cases.

With the weight you save leaving the tacticool combat knife home, you can carry more ammo.

If you do need to poke someone, the bayonet works quite well.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 19, 2011, 12:45 PM   #12
LordTio3

Not your standard Ka-Bar, but I've been carrying the Ka-Bar TDI design by John Benner for 6 months now and I love it. It's not your standard fixed blade, it's a karambit style, but it's incredibly fast to employ from your belt or from concealment with either hand.
They make them in several makes and models.
Serrated...

Longer...

Tanto...

Last Ditch...

I really can't recommend this knife highly enough. I carry it along with my Leatherman and a titanium Boker Magnum. The others are my work knives, the TDI is my "in case" knife.

To give you some perspective on what a little training will accomplish; I had an uncle stand about 12 feet in front of me with 9" diameter rubber ball. He then threw "lobbed" the ball at me over-handed. My TDI was on my left hip under a t-shirt and sweatshirt, and from concealment I was able to deploy it with my right hand and pop the ball before it hit me. Think about it.

~LT

Oh, and it retails for around $35.
Old September 19, 2011, 06:47 PM   #13
pck823

I recommend

I've got these in several varieties. Simple no frills and definitely ready for shtf.
http://www.eseeknives.com/rc-6.htm
Old September 20, 2011, 09:11 AM   #14
AK103K

Something like this?

or maybe this....